Question Dear Costume Merchants
    Dear Costume Merchants,

I have a question that has bothered me for many years, so now I will bother all of you with it. I do this in hopes of getting an answer that will enable me to put this behind me. Though, I doubt it very seriously.

Looking at the Bible as a "historical document", so I won't get in trouble for talking "religion". Here is a point and then my question.

With the Holiday Season upon us, sales in the costume industry turns from Halloween costumes to costumes of Santa and religious costumes for Nativity Plays. I am sure many affiliates do quite well promoting these types of costumes. Thus, costumes merchants make a nice chunk of change also.

So, here comes the question.

I have went through several costumes merchants and want to know why I can not find any male Angel costumes?

Again, looking at the Bible as a "historical document", there is not one mention of a female Angel recorded in the Bible. There are many references to male Angels, but no female. Yet, all I could find with the costume merchants I checked were female Angel costumes.

Therefore, why are there "mostly", if not "entirely", only female Angel costumes available?

I am just thinking out loud, but I find it very difficult to believe that those putting on a Nativity Play, which are usually establishment founded on "truth", would purchase such a "historically" inaccurate costume.

Thank you for your time. I hope you reconsider your marketing ideas and ideals and offer the more "historically" accurate male Angel costumes, along side the others in the future.

Moderator Note: Religious (and political) discussions are allowed as long as it's relevant to affiliate marketing (like this thread) and doesn't get divisive.

I think it depends on what "history" go back to.

If you go all the way back to the Bible, the Hebrew word literally means "sons of God", the word is a masculine word (words in most languages other than English are either masculine or feminine), angels always appear as male and the three named angels (Gabriel, Michael, and Lucifer) are all male names.

If we only look back at the last several centuries, we'll get a different perception of history. During the Renaissance, artists depicted angels as having long flowing hair and baby-like features, similar to Cupid. They weren't necessarily female, but may look like it. (Most are more like chubby, prepubescent boys.) Those are the images we usually picture when we think of angels, so I think that misconception has grown.

Searching around, I found this page that has a much more detailed explanation and history:

http://youall.com/angelanswers/angelgender.htm

As for finding costumes for male angels, that is a bit surprising. I would think that many would be fairly neutral (white gown and wings).

For plays, I don't think most people are looking for historical accuracy. They're looking for what people expect to see.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I agree on several aspects of what you are saying Michael.

Though, I must admit, I laughed at this statement because it brought back some great memories for me.

QUOTE FROM MICHAEL COLEY: "During the Renaissance, artists depicted angels as having long flowing hair and baby-like features"

That also describes many of the male rock bands of the 1980s, which I grew up listening to. Man, I miss those days... before the Borg-a-zation of our nation.

However, after checking several more costume merchants, I still can not find a male Angel costume.

I totally understand what you are saying. I agree. I would be glad to just see gender neutral Angel costumes.

Though, on a personal note, I believe all Angels are male, I understand others do not.

However, Gabriel is a part of the Nativity Play. All evidence points to Gabriel being a male. Yet, with so few, if any, costume merchants offering a male Angel costume, I feel this is a missed opportunity for them, and me as an affiliate, to market a product that is both needed and necessary at this time of year.

I say this not to begin a debate or for the sake of argument. I simply see a missed opportunity, which I feel a costume merchant that is brave enough to think outside the box may want to take advantage of in the future.

Of course, I see many missed opportunities by 100s of merchants that seem satisfied with the status quo.

In closing, I must say, the status quo is why we are facing the possibility of double digit inflation. Maybe it is time to admit the status quo failed and for all of us, merchants and affiliates alike, to rethink our plans and come up with a Plan B, because Plan A just isn't working.

Why not market an XL or XXL Adult Angel Costume that could fit either a male or a big female. Just market the size and say it could be for a man or a woman.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowfinch
    In closing, I must say, the status quo is why we are facing the possibility of double digit inflation.
    Don't mean to sidetrack your thread, but where do you get this information? US inflation has not approached double digits since Carter and Reagan were President, and has been NEGATIVE since early this year. Check out this chart
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

AffiliateHound: Actually, I over-stated a story about "double dip" recession to make a point that how far is too low before we wake up and change our strategy in affiliate marketing from both the merchant and affiliate standpoint. When one settles for mediocrity, one generally get mediocrity or less. Anyway, it was for shock value, because things aren't getting better and our industry could be the first to be bold enough to take the steps necessary to turn things around and head them in the right direction. However, we are in danger of double digit inflation the longer we allow this recession to continue when we, merchants and affiliates, have the power to begin turning the economy around.

RHIA7: That would be a great idea. However, being a man and knowing lots of men, I don't think it will work. When a man clicks the link to that XL Angel costume and sees a female posing in it, that sell is a missed opportunity. The vast, vast majority of men are not buying a Angel costume with a promotional picture of a female modeling it. If you can convince the costume merchants to have some of the Angel costumes modeled by males, it would work. I don't think that will happen. Many merchants, not just costume merchants, are very hesitant to have male models on their site in too large of numbers. Especially with something like an Angel costume, which generally speaking, the industry preceives to be a "female" costume.

Moderator Note: Putting on my Moderator hat... The religious discussion was fine since it was relevant to affiliate marketing and wasn't controversial, but let's cut off the political discussion right here. ABW isn't the place for it.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfinch
    When a man clicks the link to that XL Angel costume and sees a female posing in it, that sell is a missed opportunity. The vast, vast majority of men are not buying a Angel costume with a promotional picture of a female modeling it. If you can convince the costume merchants to have some of the Angel costumes modeled by males, it would work.
    Why not try to get the costume merchants to photograph the Angel Costume without a model? No female, no male, just the costume with the sizing?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Here's just the wings on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000HYL49U

I just spent a few minutes searching, and I think you're right. I can't find ANYBODY (affiliate program or not) that sells angel costumes that have a male model.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

RHIA7: That's a thought. I just may try that. Thanks. However, most of the costumes are "sexy" in nature and promoted that way. Many are far shorter than most men would wear. To make this short, I really haven't seen one that the typical man would even consider wearing. The white gown, as Michael suggested earlier and I agree with, isn't really available (as part of the Angel costume). Those that are are rather "feminine", for lack of a better word. I'll leave it at that. Don't want to get too descriptive. LOL!

MICHAEL: Thanks. Yelp. I find it rather weird that is the case, but I guess its a market the costume industry (either manufacturer or supplier or merchant or part or all) doesn't want or something. I'm really not sure. I would think there would be some money to be made with an Angel costume featuring a male model to give a man a general idea what the costume may look like on him.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions. And if any costume merchants read this thread, you may want to consider a more male-friendly Angel costume featuring a male model. If there are even any companies out there that manufactures them. If there isn't, I guess that is why I can't find a merchant that offers them. LOL!

Hey Michael and Rhia7: To better understand what part of my beef is on this topic, do a Google Search for "Gabriel Costume".

Click like the second and third results. The ones that actually says "Angel Gabriel Costume".

Behold your new Nativity Play Angel Gabriel!

I know a lot of guys that do some pretty outrageous things, but I can honestly say, I personally do not know nor have I ever known a guy that would wear that.

This is a good point to gripe about. Why not contact all the merchants with the suggestion?

My sites have always gotten craploads of traffic looking for "male angel costume". I never poked around enough to realize that there isn't enough selection out there to satisfy the demand.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

If you search for a "Jesus Costume" you will find a suitable plain white tunic/robe in adult sizes. (beard not included)

Part of this problem lies with the convergence of "costume" and "Victoria's Secret". While I would never complain about seeing a shapely young woman parading about in a "sexy" (in quotes because it's used so much in the costume industry it
    's actually lost meaning) angel costume, it seems as though that's all most costume merchants are willing to sell.

I'm not a big costume affiliate, so correct me if I'm wrong, but are there any "serious" merchants out there that go in depth beyond short skirts and push up bras?
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Sometimes it's the search phrase that needs to be tweaked. try 'angel gabriel costume' (without quotes) in google and the first site is Latter Day Saints talking about robes and tunics, the second is a site with robes and tunics.

As Kevin and others point out, some of this comes from our newly created conception of what an angel is and what one was in the past. I can certainly see Gabriel in a white robe bathed in bright white light and understand that is an 'angel'. Though some may need to see wings to think of them as an angel.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread