I just came across Zeal.com SE by Looksmart. Does anyone belong to it and is it going to by as good as DMOZ?
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

It used to be a backdoor into MSN because they showed directory listings from Zeal (Looksmart) before the website listings.

But MSN no longer do this.

As to whether there are any particular benefits of getting sites into Zeal - not sure. Anyone else?

I’ve got a couple sites in Zeal, and the listings generate a little traffic, very little. It’s mainly a free way to get into Looksmart for non commercial sites. If you’ve got some time on your hands with nothing else to do, may as well submit your site. It can’t hurt, but don’t expect it to help too much.

My husband and I each became Zeal editors in 2000.

At that time, they were sending money to charities based on edits. While I have lagged, my hubby has been fairly active there to this day.

It is a bit like DMOZ, but without so much politics. There is a point system that I really don't understand.

The best part is that Zeal is incorporated into LookSmart.

Traffic these days is pretty minimal. I've been an editor there for a couple of years, but haven't done much recently.

I guess the rules are stricter, and it's more transparent. It's not a bad directory if ever if could get some traffic!
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

ABW Ambassador
    Directories are good to get listed in for a link in or some PR benefit. But the problem is people search from search engines not directories. I've never met 1 person not associated with websites, affiliate marketing etc. who has even heard of DMOZ or Zeal or Joeant etc. But i think Zeal is a pretty good directory.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I'm also a volunteer editor at Zeal. We're supervised by professional editors at Looksmart and held to some pretty strict standards in terms of the sites we can accept and how we describe them. We're also rated on performance, and if we don't perform up to a certain standard we can lose our editorial privileges.

Based on my experience as a consumer of DMOZ, scuttlebutt I've heard, and being singled out by a particularly nasty (but powerful) editor there, I'd say Zeal is much more egalitarian. In other words...you won't run into power plays and B.S.

and if I remember the TOS right, affiliate sites need not apply.

It's a strictly noncommercial directory, so it's OK for content sites. However, I did recently have a content site rejected just because it had AdSense banners on it!

It does pass a little PageRank too.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread