And thought I should do some affiliate marketing to help out sales on my website.
    I don't know anything about affiliate marketing. I get the basic concept but I'm brand new at this.
    I contacted CJ and LinkShare and their start-up fees are out of my price range. Can anyone tell me what other affiliate companies that they recommend. Also, do you need to get software from every affiliate company that you join? Any advice and tips are greatly appreciated.

Talk to ... Andy R., Linda Buquet, Akiva, Chris - WSO before you get too far.

Also, forget Stinksnare and CJ. Think Shareasale.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Since CJ's out of your budget, I agree with Karl's suggestion of Shareasale.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Also, do you need to get software from every affiliate company that you join? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most networks don't require you to get software at all--just place the Tracking Code on your site. On the other hand, there are some solutions which DO require you to have software.

They are all competition, though, so none of it's going to work with any other of it. BF/CJ may integrate at some point in the future, but they're a unique situation since they're both now owned by the same place.

The people Karl mentioned above are AMs (Affiliate Managers) who have experience across multiple platforms, so they can give you more specifics. They can also clue you in on other ins-and-outs of the merchant side.

I will say to be prepared to PUSH your program so it's not doomed to obscurity. Just opening an affiliate program won't do anything--you need to get people to join it, and promote your products once they do. From what I've seen of the AMs here, it looks rather workful...

From an affiliate's perspective, when I look for programs I want to see:

High commissions
    Long return days/cookies
    Low/no reversals
    And no complaints about payments/reversals. I sometimes take a chance on new merchants who are at a network which requires escrow and consolidates payments, but unknown Indies have to wait until they get a track record. The lost "ground floor" money is worth the peace of mind.

Others will let you know that parasites are their major concern if not the foremost. Easiest way to deal with that is to make sure your program is and remains parasite-free. If it's not, there are those who will not work with you. Check the Parasiteware forum for more info about the parasites, if you haven't already.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I will say to be prepared to PUSH your program so it's not doomed to obscurity. Just opening an affiliate program won't do anything--you need to get people to join it, and promote your products once they do. From what I've seen of the AMs here, it looks rather workful... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Uh huh, tell me about it! Especially when people (INCORRECTLY) think your store sells to a narrow niche market.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread