Stats Programs / Services
    In the past I've just used server logs and the standard stats program on it to track things. I've now got a site that ranks #1 for a key phrase that gets about 8k exact searches a month, plus top 3 for many long tail. It's enough traffic to start paying attention and I need a better understanding of what people are doing once they get to the site. I pretty well can find the keywords they used, but after that it's tough to track the path through the site and fi they click off on any page.

Any suggestions for a hosted script (php?!) or a service that can give me details on individual visitors, such as their path through the site and other pertinent information?
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    In the past I've just used server logs and the standard stats program on it to track things. I've now got a site that ranks #1 for a key phrase that gets about 8k exact searches a month, plus top 3 for many long tail. It's enough traffic to start paying attention and I need a better understanding of what people are doing once they get to the site. I pretty well can find the keywords they used, but after that it's tough to track the path through the site and fi they click off on any page.

Any suggestions for a hosted script (php?!) or a service that can give me details on individual visitors, such as their path through the site and other pertinent information?
    On a few of my sites, I include a script in the header file that captures referrer information for each visitor on every page. It saves this information in the database and I can then follow the trail of their visit by the timestamps. I haven't gotten around to programming a nice display of the data once I capture it yet, but that'll be a nice project over the holidays...
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

meadowmufn, I think I've seen a script like that way in the past. Added to the header/footer and it created a 'footsteps' path through a site. Created really cool charts too. This must have been 10+ years ago and have no idea if it is still around. The only thing I don't think it could do was track clickouts.

Still looking around if anyone has any suggestions. (aside from Google Analytics)
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Yeah, GA doesn't do well for this unless you can set a true understandable GA goal, and then set the steps in the Goal Funnel set up. Funnel Visualization handles 95% of my needs, but that's because most of my sites have "on site" goals. For affiliates, there's still a big tracking gap in this arena.

If GA allowed you to use their Event Tracking in the goal funnel, life would be easier. However, even then, the Funnels really only work if one URL is the ultimate goal, so datafeed sites and blogs with Aff links would still be out in the cold. (Actually, they have expanded the Goal functionality really recently, and I haven't caught up with it yet... you might be able to track 12 pages...)

In your case, Knight, how many "click out" pages do you need to track?
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Lightbulb
    if you just want to be able to see where a visitor went in your site, Statcounter works fine.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread