Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    If I ever get my hands on these freakin driveby authors I am just going to freakin %%$@###!** their $$#@!**& off.

Six hours wasted so far today trying to rip this $$%@!## stuff off my machine.

Grrrrrrr!

This must be one of those 'voluntary' downloads we hear so much about.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

ABW Ambassador
    What was it? I feel your pain, just went thru it myself with some vx2 and winpup crap.

Chet

I've ripped just about everything out of my PC, amazing the dang thing still works. Now I'm getting some ad popping up everytime I close IE, some dang url belgiandip.com or other.

Worked all day on it in my office, when I left it was out of frustration, I'll go back tomorrow and try to clean it once again.

Some b****** out there owes me 8 hours of payback.

Elbow - there is a free program call CWShredder - it gets rid of all the things that Adaware, etc leaves behind. Try that and good luck!!
    Ebudae

While you are still mad write your congressman. If Utah laws get shot down, maybe other states will come up with something. Or, at least Whenu and the like will be so tied up sueing states, they will go away.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

My daughter's machine got hit last week.

One driveby = seven different apps installed. 90 minutes later everything was fine, but that's because I am familiar with the registry - otherwise I would still be at it.

She had instructions to use Opera, without pop-ups, but she has to listen to audio and enjoy other (Teen-oriented) features at websites - "Opera won't let me do that Dad."

She's back to using Opera.

Fred

I have my brother in laws computer at my house right now. They have every known downloaded app on their computer. But you know they opted in to download it all, they wanted it all...It was their choice to have all this installed on their computer....NOT!

What a pain.

Funny thing Connie, my Daughter opted-in too.

Yup, she said "I saw something pop-up on my screen, and by the time I could click on it [to cancel it], it was gone."

That's opting in, isn't it?

Fred

You should use Mozilla or Firefox for browsing. They seem to be immune to parasitic software. Never get popups either. I only use IE for two things now. 1) Make sure my websites look okay and 2) to check Pagerank.

Only very occasionally there is a website with some built-in coding that will not work with Firefox.

Jim

I think it's truly amazing that the networks and merchants want to partner with these software applications. I know they are making tons of money because of them, but the fallout left behind when this stuff is outlawed will leave a bad mark on them for years to come.

So many people have this stuff on their computer, yet they have no idea how it got there. Have they all truly opted in, and just don't remember? A window popping up for a second or two, then closing before the user has a chance to take action is NOT opting in! Yet merchants flock to do business with these companies, it seems regardless of the consequences to the merchant in the long run.

So, when an ad for that merchant pops up on the user's screen, it leaves a very negative impression OF THAT MERCHANT. The fact that the ad is generated by WhenU, or some other third party means nothing. The end user sees the ad for the MERCHANT, and it's the MERCHANT who gets the black mark.

Even in cases where the end user HAS opted in to get that cool screen saver, or password program, they most likely don't recall or understand that they will be getting a bunch of pop ups as well. So, when WhenU pops up Autobytel on car sites, or any other app pops up an ad, it is the ADVERTISER WHO IS HATED.

No one likes pop ups. Microsoft, Earthlink, AOL, and many other ISPs have gone to great lengths to stop them. This is due to consumer complaints and consumer demand. Why an advertiser would want to create a negative impression of themselves by allowing their name to be associated with pop ups is beyond me! Especially when so many consumers have expressed their hatred for this type of activity.

They must be on a suicide mission, or stupid, or something...

Andy

My husband's computer just had isearch installed, via driveby, he never saw a pop-up/under for this one so he has no clue what site served it up.

Any way, this one was particulary nasty because it edited the HOSTS file to deny you access to doxdesk, and a whole list of anti-spyware sites (which means you couldn't get updates from S&D or adaware, etc.). Uninstall didn't work until we cleared the HOSTS file of the garbage it added.

What a pain in the butt!

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    >You should use Mozilla or Firefox for browsing. They seem to be immune to parasitic software.

That's because they don't use ActiveX plug-in's (BHO's).

Allthese people that moan about drive-by installs but still keep using MS IE. Sigh.

If you all changed to alternative browsers (once you use tabbedbrowsing you'll never go back), and promoted the use of alternative browsers on your sites, the browser stats would start shiffting away from MS dominance and would convince more people to try the alternatives. If you're blowing 8 or more hours repairing your computers each time, why the HELL are you still using MS IE????

I ran adshare on my computer and there wer a bunch of things from alexa and then some things from something called tracking cookie. I assume that the alexa stuff is ok - how do I knw what is not OK?

Thanks Val
    "still way too lame at this stuff"
    Valerie
    <a target="_blank" style="color: #22229C" href="http://www.thexsiteproexperiment.html">
    XSitePro - it has never been easier to create and manage money making sites</a>

Jeeese, I guess I've gone overboard, now I can't even post to ABW from that PC - it lets me read but not post - and I still get that d&*$ pop up from belgiandip.com . Thanks for the ideas, everyone - Opera or one of the other browsers just won me over, I will install one tonight.

I still have something odd on my PC, the people in my office here have been, 'leaving me alone'.....

ABW Ambassador
    God, these parasites are awful. Just wasted 3 hours of my day repairing a friends computer at work (should add, her place of work. I don't work!!). The people who use the computer have no clue about adware/parasiteware, so they download anything in sight. Sometime last night they managed to download and install 6 different spyware programs, some of which required a painful manual removal (Ad-Aware found some but not all of them).

I REALLY hope that Utah bill passes first in Utah and then begins to make its way nationwide. I can't foresee the feds doing anything about this, but if enough states have laws against it - this "age of spyware" may finally begin to draw to a close (I hope!).

I just got nailed with one too. They changed my homepage, put about a dozen shortcuts on my desktop, installed a search bar and footer.

The websites owner claims to be from the uk but I traced the ip block owner back to a company in Florida. I called the company in FL and they said they resell web space and acted like they weren't responsible for the actions of their clients. I bet Arin would have something pleasent to say to them.

I just tried spysweeper and it looks like it got rid of all that crap adware.
    [SIZE=2]
    [B][URL=http://www.readydomains.com][color=blue]ReadyDomains.com[/color][/URL] - Premium domain names for sale. Your new domain is ready!
    [/B][/SIZE]

I don't get it why are you guy's still using IE to browse the internet? I only use it to test my sites. I use Firebird and have not had a popup or drive by install in almost 2 years. By the way as someone already said, once you have tabbed browser you will never go back to IE.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I just got nailed with one too. They changed my homepage, put about a dozen shortcuts on my desktop, installed a search bar and footer. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly what my friends computer got nailed with. A real PITA. Ad-Aware, appropriately enough, labeled it as "browser hijack software" when I was removing it. Had to manually delete parts of this program, though, as it left traces of itself all over the darn place.

- - - -
    I called the company in FL and they said they resell web space and acted like they weren't responsible for the actions of their clients.
    - - - -

Heyder, I ran into another company a while back that had that attitude, deru or demu, something like that. They leased space to someone else, claimed they couldn't help me, lol, damned irritating trying to trace these things down.

Look for that back up copy of the registry you made before the drive-by download. You remember that backup - right?

Fred

eh, Fred, can I borrow yours???

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread