I interested in knowing if the following 2 books are worth buying:

1. James Martel's Affiliate Marketing Handbook

http://www.work-at-home-net-guides.com/

2. Rosalind Gardner's The Super Affiliate Handbook

http://superaffiliatehandbook.com/

Are they any good? Any decent reviews of these so I get a better idea what they are about? Is it for beginners only?

I can't seem to use the search facility on this site to check if there are any previous discussions on this. Is the Search facility broken?

Regards,

Jon

ABW Ambassador
    I'd say save your money. All you need to know about affiliate marketing is right here on this board. And for search engine stuff, just go over to www.webmasterworld.com and learn about Google, Yahoo and all the rest.

My two cents.

jimh009,

I'm curious. Have you actually read those two books or is it your general opinion.

Jon

ABW Ambassador
    I've scanned over both books. They really don't tell you anything new that you can't pick up here or on other webmaster related forums.

These books are just two among a long list of books that tell you "how to get rich quick" on the Internet.

If you have experience and/or knowledge of affiliate marketing, no need at all for these books. And for beginners, spend your time/money reading forums, learning how to design pages and, if money is no object, perhaps looking into the Site Sell program.

Jim,

What is the site sell program and what about it makes you recommend it? Thanks.

ABW Ambassador
    The Site Sell program is relatively expensive. I don't use it, personally. But, when I first started affiliate marketing, I subscribed to their email mailing (you can also download the whole thing). I found it to be immensely helpful - full of lots of information that really helped my site.

To find Site Sell on the web, just do a google search for Site Sell. Once there, just find you way to the download area where you can download their course. While the info is a bit outdated - if you plan on doing a content site, you should still find it useful.

The program itself is designed for beginners - with the program offering templates and easy text integration.

If you are looking at doing content sites and are brand new to affiliate marketing, Site Sell might be an option to explore if you have the money to shell out for the program and yearly hosting. If you don't have the money or don't want to be constrained by the programs limitations, still make a point of looking over the course - you'll learn a ton.

If you want to do a sales oriented site, Site Sell is probably not the way to go. Instead, start with some hand coded pages and then learn php/MySQL so you can manipulate merchant datafeeds and such.

Hope this information helps.

ABW Ambassador
    I haven't read Rosalind Gardner's book, but I have read James Martell's book and I think it's a well done, step by step guide that is good for beginners.

Yes, the information is all available elsewhere and here on ABW, but for someone starting out who wants the basics laid out, I think his book offers a good overview as well as concrete suggestions of do-this, don't-do-that. He really lays it out step by step.

I tried to use Site Sell a while back but I never could get into it. I was past the beginning level and I got frustrated with having to follow their system, but I know some people are quite happy with it.

Good luck with your decision.

Kip

About books, before we started affiliate marketing, we bought little richard's guide to ecommerce. I t left us more confused than if we didn't have it, and was mainly a lead into to url's of "other " books they print. I learned more with the forum, than all the books i read at libraries, or book stores.
    jj

http://sitesell.com/

That isn't an affiliate link.

Ken Evoy had a free five day e-mail course that is interesting. I still have it if you can't find it. I will be glad to send you a copy.

It is mostly promo for his stuff but it really has a whole lot of real info.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Everything helps.Thanks.
    jj

"Little Richard's Guide to Ecommerce"

All I can imagine is the piano guy singing about the virtues of affiliate marketing.

It might make a good book.

You will need to PM me with your real e-mail if you want me to forward the lessons to you.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

I have to disagree about James Martels book. As a newbie I found it very good.

It is written so that a newbie can understand and it lays it out in a practicle manner.

I found that these forums were not much help until I read the martel book. Now I really know how to take advantage to this forum. I mean - as a newbie - you don't even know what kinds of terms to search for on the forum. You can ask questions but I still find having the basics all in one place has been valuable for me. Notcie I said "for me"

Val
    Valerie
    <a target="_blank" style="color: #22229C" href="http://www.thexsiteproexperiment.html">
    XSitePro - it has never been easier to create and manage money making sites</a>

Hi,
    The book I used poor richards guide to ecommerce
    was written by Peter Kent. Tara Calishain.and Chris Pirillo,
    it states from "do you really need a website? It's adevertised as being geek free, commonsense advice for beginners in ecoomerc. I read it, it goes from a to z, even better search words, to having a better chance of success. They have a website for free info if you want it, it was intended for newbies,and is cheap,and low cost strategies for setting up your online business, thet have other more advanced books, too, but this will get you started 325 pages, in easy to read and understand sections.
    jj

I've read Rosalind Gardner's book and found it easy to read and informative for beginners. It gives you the basics. I refer to it often since I'm new to AF. I would recommend it for a beginner if you would like something in your hands to read in addition to this board.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread