Hello,

On my sites I notice that my text links to my merchants get clicked over the banner ads (I use 120x120 banners or slightly larger) by a factor of about 7 to 1.

Are you all experiencing the same thing? I'm just curious if even having the banner ads is worthwhile, considering the real estate they take up........

I see so many affiliate sites that are full of banners, though, and wonder if others are having the opposite results? (Banner ads getting way more clicks than text links).

Just curious.........

Regards,

Nordie

I've heard that in the early days of the web banner ads worked better, but that now text links usually give much better results.

It was a good discovery for you to make on your own, however.

It may be that folks originally thought banners were a novelty, now they're just considered to be part of the landscape.

-- Mike
    A joy shared is a joy doubled.
    A burden shared is a burden lightened.

Text links have higher CTR% than banners, but a banner click is more possible to bring you a sale/lead than a text link. When someone clicks a banner in most cases he knows he is visiting an AD. On the other hand with text links things are different since it's frequently harder to identify their possible content.

The CTR on a text add will depend, or course, on the text itself. If the text is only the company name with no description, it will probably do no better than a display ad - probably worse.

However if the text ad is accompanied by a short description, we are pre-programmed to see it as an endorsement of some sort, whereas the banner ad is clearly an advertisement with no opinion given on its value. It's just the way the Western cultures have brought us up. The text is most effective if it is in the center of the page where most peope have been preogrammed to expect the "meat" of a page, another reason banner ads don't do as well because we usually put them around the edges of a page. You can even put a banner add between paragraphs of meaty content and it will get 3 times the clicks of one at the top of a page.

There are plenty of studies on this sort of thing - but they are either for internal consumption only within the big advertising firms, or they are very pricey through firms like Jupiter or Gartner.
    Tom C.
    [URL=http://www.cafepress.com/simplesignshop]Simple Sign Shop[/URL]

Every day leave someone or something better than you found it.

Soul Rebel said ..<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Text links have higher CTR% than banners, but a banner click is more possible to bring you a sale/lead than a text link. When someone clicks a banner in most cases he knows he is visiting an AD. On the other hand with text links things are different since it's frequently harder to identify their possible content. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Our experience is not the same. Text links have a higher CTR and a higher conversion rate.

ABW Ambassador
    I found on my site that banners were completely useless. My first sale via a banner actually occurred, ironically, on the day I decided to pull them. At least for informational sites, text links work far better in my own experience.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by phillyBurbs.com:

Our experience is not the same. Text links have a higher CTR _and_ a higher conversion rate. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes,i shouldn't be that general since it depends on many factors like the product or even the banner itself.

For most people (me included), text links are far more effective both in clicks and conversions.

Why have banners or other graphic ads? To break the page up. Also, many merchants (cluelessly) beg to get their banners put up. Also, some things are easier to promote with a banner. A picture can be worth a thousand words (sometimes).

Banners and text ads can complement each other.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread