Composition of an Affiliate Workforce
    Hi fellow affiliate managers and affiliates,

I am new to the forum. Currently am managing an inhouse affiliate program for a reputed dating/matchmaking site in India.

We have around 3,000 affiliates. Am doing a hygeine check and revamping the entire ecosystem of affiliates. Can anyone help me out with what should be the ideal composition of an affiliate workforce.
    - % of affiliates doing search marketing
    - % of affiliates doing email marketing
    - % of affiliates publishing ads through banner ads ( websites )

Some indication would every do. Would like to know, how healthly is the affiliate workforce, and what segments within the workforce, do we need more penetration.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone

Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by medvik
    Hi fellow affiliate managers and affiliates,

I am new to the forum. Currently am managing an inhouse affiliate program for a reputed dating/matchmaking site in India.

We have around 3,000 affiliates. Am doing a hygeine check and revamping the entire ecosystem of affiliates. Can anyone help me out with what should be the ideal composition of an affiliate workforce.
    - % of affiliates doing search marketing
    - % of affiliates doing email marketing
    - % of affiliates publishing ads through banner ads ( websites )

Some indication would every do. Would like to know, how healthly is the affiliate workforce, and what segments within the workforce, do we need more penetration.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone
    In my experince the percentages should look something like this:
    11% of affiliates doing search marketing
    37% of affiliates doing email marketing
    52% of affiliates publishing ads through banner ads.

It makes sense to re-evaluate your workforce at least twice a year. When you do it, keep in mind the amount of traffic that is coming in from each workforce category and which ones are bringing you more money.

I hope this gives you some thought. You may reply to me if you would like some further discussion

Thanks Josh.. The insights are surely helpful. Some clarifications :
    Do these stats pertain to Active Affiliates ? Also, is this stated somewhere ? or it is out your valuable experience that youve gained over the years ?

These stats are not exact, yet have been calculated out of the experience I have aquired of the years working with several major affiliate marketing companies and programs.

The idea from the stats it to obtain stronger affiliates with more traffic through less effort.

11% of affiliates doing search marketing.
    37% of affiliates doing email marketing
    52% of affiliates publishing ads through banner ads.

Publishing ads through banner ads is productive but not as targeted as email marketing. The reason for this is that banner ads are placed on websites that may or may not pertain towards the right product or features offered. Email marketing however usually is targeted by an audience that have subscribed to a particular brand or blog of interest, so the number of positive return is greater. Which means that you want to limit the amount of email marketers as they can be of more value so long as you know who their audience is.
    Affiliates doing search marketing is like hiring someone to do lead generation, its less productive in the long run as the amount of return is slower than the other two workforces and the accuracy changes depending on the affiliate and geo location.

Recruit and Reactivation of Affiliates
    Thanks Josh for your prompt revert as well. I am fighting a tight deadline !!

Please could you also help me out with

- Best practices to aquire affiliates / super affiliates.
    # How many emails to send out per day ?

- Would you know incase of Ebay, Amazon, Friendfinder, what % of the total budget is allocated to Affiliate Marketing ? Have tried to google the same, but have not been able to find the information.

Will await to hear from you.. !! Thanks once again..

If I understand correctly what you're trying to do, you may not be headed in the proper, or profitable, direction.

Can anyone help me out with what should be the ideal composition of an affiliate workforce.
    Why would you even attempt to do this? Your goal should be to have as many motivated affiliates as possible, regardless of how they are promoting you. As long as they're legit sales, who cares what percentage comes from what search, email or ads? If you have 33% in each category or 100% in one and no sales, what difference does it make? Suppose someone comes up with the ideal mix, you attain those percentages and have no sales. What have you accomplished? Concentrate on motivating your affiliates, that's where the sales come from.

How many emails to send out per day ?
    Why does this matter? Should success be measured by the volume of emails sent out per day or how many active affiliates you obtain? Which is better, 10 emails sent and 10 affiliates gained or 100 emails sent and 0 affiliates gained?

Am doing a hygeine check and revamping the entire ecosystem of affiliates.
    Again, why? Will you make money by doing this or by obtaining and motivating as many affiliates as possible? You have 3,000 affiliates who, at least at some point, were interested in promoting you. Are you getting the most out of them? If not, why bother getting another 3,000? Maximize what you have now-then find more.

Just my 2 cents.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Am doing a hygeine check and revamping the entire ecosystem of affiliates.
    This is quite likely the most absurd "plan" I have read in my nine years in affiliate marketing.

You either have way tooooo much time on your hands, or are in the business of trying to make it look like you are actually doing something to justify your salary.

What is your next step, to fire affiliates in one of those categories because the percentage is too high?

Re-read Greg's post and read some of the threads in the Affiliate Manager sub forum, and search for the Things We Hate thread.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

http and a telephoto
    I moved this thread from the Introduce Yourself forum to theMerchant Best Practices Forum since it is less of an introduction and more of a looking for information and education.

Greg's reply is excellent and you should also read the posts that are stickied in this forum section. There is no right and wrong percentages of affiliate "types".
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Thank you for your feedback about what I have written. This is the great thing about forums, that we all can share our ideas and points of interest. I will say that I do agree with you about the fact that you should first work on those 3,000 affiliates and then find more later on. That is an abovious understanding of this business. My point in writting the percentages of each sector was to help out with the filtering of what should be left in your basket after the clean-up, that way when you go out to get more affiliates, you know how best to approach them market wise. Not every person or affiliate can be approach the same way, do you agree?

This is just like sales, you can pitch the same story to thousands of people and only a percentage will bite, but you'd do better knowing what they are looking for and at what value.

Don't you think that someone with a database of over 20-60 thousand subscribers to a specific topic or field would be bring a better return of affiliates than juggling with each person who comes to you wanting to place banners on a low traffic site. A large percentage of individuals who are getting into the affiliate programs are usually newbies to the business.

Your quote, " Which is better, 10 emails sent and 10 affiliates gained or 100 emails sent and 0 affiliates gained?"

This is why I made the percentage of 11% for email marketing because you only want a small amount of partnerships that are going to target a very specific audience, this makes it easier to tailor a better looking or better designed email that will attract more than just a simple banner or flash banner on a particular site.

I strongly believe in motivating those affiliates who bring enough traffic to make both parties money, if not, what encouragement do you need to make when you could be driving that energy and time towards the affiliates making you the money.

In my experince, after setting this standard, I have seen a large jump in revenue and an easier workspace.

Again, I really appreciate your feedback and would enjoy to hear from you again.

Active Affiliates / Total Affiliates
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the sharing. Just wanted to know, what should be the ideal % of active affiliates to affiliates. i.e Out of 100 affiliates , how many are supposed to be active. ( Besides the 80-20, 95-5 rule, that anywhere between 5 to 20% of affiliates contribute towards 80% to 90% of the channel revenue.

Awaiting everyones 2 cents on the above !

what should be the ideal % of active affiliates to affiliates
    100% would be the ideal.

You might as well ask, "How long is a piece of string?"

:-) 100% is Ideal, but not realistic. Any realistic benchmark ?

Depends if you're purging inactive ones or not (which, IMHO, is a bad idea). That changes the percentage quite a bit.

That said, it's likely that 10% would be truly active, in my previous experience.

Other aff managers mileage may vary.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Online Marketing Consultant
    100% is the best number,,,but you have to be really good and it is probably impossible since a lot of Affiliates will never actually drive a sale and some just join because they had a thought or idea then decided not to follow through with it. Definitely work at getting them all active, but to me it sounds like you are running CPA Networks, not an actual Affiliate program....mainly because of the search and email percentages you are asking about. I don't want to know the program name, but what Network are you on? Have you checked to how many are adware and could be stealing from you, how many are bloggers vs. content vs. coupon sites and broken it down further? How many are review and comparison sites? How many are relationship advice sites, etc...

I think you need to do a lot more reading and research then restructure your questions and your plan. Off to a good start with your questions, but they need a bit more clarity which comes with time and a lot of reading.

Hey Kevin,

Thanks for sharing. Didn't get IMHO mean ?

Hey Kevin,

Thanks for sharing. Didn't get IMHO mean ?
    In My Honest Opinion

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

If I had an affiliate manager who had 100% active affiliates, I would fire them in a minute. They're not doing one of their most essential jobs: recruiting affiliates. (Or they're doing something even more stupid: deleting inactive affiliates.) Affiliates aren't going to be active immediately. Many will never be active, and you won't know which ones will never become active. If you're only recruiting those who you know will become immediately active, you're leaving a huge part of the pie in the dish.

It's like the product cycle at pharmaceutical company. If they don't have a solid number of new drugs at every step of the development pipeline, they're in a lot of trouble. Similarly, affiliate managers should be continually recuiting new affiliates, activating those new recruits, and growing their active at all levels.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread