Affiliate Manager
    Any guidance would be much appreciated!
    Hi all!

I am brand new to the world of affiliate marketing and have found myself in an affiliate manager position. My background was entirely in social media marketing, so I feel a bit lost.
    I read Geno Prussakov's book on affiliate marketing, it was awesome and super informative, I am just trying to figure out exactly how it all translates into my program.

Luckily, I inherited a well-maintained program, but I am worried that I am going to let my affiliates down, as the previous manager did a great job and had a lot of experience, and I don't. Does anyone have any suggestions for me along that regard?

Also, a huge concern of mine right now is figuring out how to locate and recruit affiliates... I am completely at a loss. Would anyone have any suggestions for that or perhaps be able to point me to a thread where this is discussed?

Thank you so much! I am beyond relieved to have a community like A Best Web so that I don't feel completely out to sea, haha!

http and a telephoto
    Welcome to ABestWeb. I moved your thread to the Merchant Best Practices forum where you will find several threads stickied that should be very useful for you to read.
    Deborah Carney

Affiliate Manager
    Thank you so much!

Welcome krisseedanger, I am new also, but have learned alot from the forums. Communication with your affiliates is key. In most cases, they can tell you what they need if you ask.

Good luck to you!

What was the old affiliate manager using to keep track of current affiliates and prospective affiliates? Was it just a notebook, or something more sophisticated like customer relationship management (CRM) software? CRM tools are usually pretty good at separating out prospects from active accounts. If CRM was used, and you have access to it, I would suggest looking back through the prospects in there. My guess is most of the prospects show up with a "dead" status because with affiliate marketing the prospecting pipeline moves pretty quickly (either they are interested or they aren't). There should be notes on those dead prospects.

You could certainly try to contact some of those prospects again, but I was thinking that it would be more of a learning tool for you to understand how your predecessor went about prospecting affiliates.

Affiliate Manager shannonlender411's Avatar
    I am in the same boat..I'm totally lost at how to recruit Publishers on GAN..Can anyone help?

Manager - Affiliate Marketing Patrick Vesperman's Avatar
    Minneapolis, MN
    I think there are lots of people in your shoes - I was 6 months ago and still am to a degree. There is just so much to learn. The exciting part is being able to implement what you learn immediately. Looking at it in a positive way helps a lot. Don't view your inexperience as an obstacle but as a way to grow. I have had a lot of fun learning to be an AM.

As far as where to go from here - I would remain at ABW, read a lot of posts on the Affiliate Managers forum, re-read Geno's book ( I think I have read it 3 or 4 times) and don't be afraid to ask for help from individual Affiliate Managers. One thing you might consider is asking your affiliates what they liked about the last manager and what they disliked. A big AM change like this gives you an opportunity to get rid of the things that were not benefiting your affiliates or your program.

As for the recruiting - I don't feel like I can offer much help as this is a struggle for me as well (and many other AMs). All I can do is echo the advice I have heard from others that has worked for me:
    - send personal emails to each affiliate you want to recruit. DO NOT send mass emails.
    - consider using a postcard or mail piece to reach out to high-potential affiliates. Even a sample of your product if this is possible to let them see it (looks like you have many products, so it might not work)
    - advertise on ABW and on ShareASale's featured programs - great sign-up rate and quality affiliates
    - think about going to manual approval and send each affiliate a personal email. I do this and it goes a LONG WAY in building relationships
    - put your program on auto deposit in SAS

Hope this helps. Just passing along info I have gathered from the great men and women that have helped me.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Park City Utah
    There's a discussion in the AM Only forum, send me an email and we can opt you in.

Online Marketing Consultant
    Washington D.C.
    One thing I would recommend off the bat is to add in a link to sign up for your Affiliate program in the footer of your site and create a page about your program. I didn't see one. Which Network are you on?
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread