Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I've heard it said that out of every 10 affiliate sites, only one will be very successful, one will be slightly successful, and eight will be failures.

Now.. I've been doing this for a while now and have accumulated quite a lot of sites which are frankly failures, all with their own domain name and mostly with a Google PageRank of 4 or 5.

So the question is.. what do I do with the sites? I'm loath to let the domains expire and be hijacked, but I've tried and failed to make them profitable and don't want to do it any more.

So, what's the best way of dealing with developed sites that aren't a success? Do people just let them expire? Do you keep them on, even though they're stale? Do you try to sell them on? I'm at a bit of a loss here!

Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Dynamoo,

I'm sorry you have some sites that have not brought you good profit. If they are good domain names and PR 4-5 they are worth something. Don't let them just die. If you have some good ones let me know and I may be able to help you sell them for a split of the profit so you at least get something from your efforts.

ABW Ambassador
    Dynamoo,

I'm sure there are at least a few people right here on this forum (I'm one) who would be interested in sites that are already up and owning a Google PR. You definitely should not just let them drop.

You could make a list and either price them or ask for offers. If you don't want to spread them all over the forum for everyone to see, ask for a pm from those who might be interested, then you could email the list.

I'm not sure if I like those odds, is the 8 of 10 fail a real statistic? I feel like I have been putting alot of time into my site and I would really hate to see it all be in vain. But if I don't keep pusing on I will never know.

DAK

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Odd that you should say that today Dynamoo, I just made a list of my sites and domain names, and picked out half a dozen to sell off or trade.

Personally, I am going to try to trade some sites for niches where I know I can be profitable.

I've got a PC site that I just can't make more'n two hundred bucks a year on, but I know there are people here taking names with PC sales. Maybe they will trade me for something I sell well.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

One other questions also, with you PR 4-5, are you getting traffic to these sites? If nothing else, I have seen on "bid for links sites" where people will pay $75+ for a link from a PR 5 site. Just a thought, 1 auction a week with a $75+ winnner can turn minimal income a month into a few hundred.

Just a thought, being new to AM I looked for links to get my site spidered faster and that is what they go for. Hell, I bought a PR 5 link from Ebay for $26 for a one month time frame. From the time I bought the link and it was posted, googlebot visited me everyday. I now have a PR 4 site without their link.

If you can offer 3 links from PR 5 sites, you can get a bundle also as a package, even more if they are on different IPs.

Good Luck,
    dak

What is a profitable site?

With a domain name fee of $15 USD per year and a monthly hosting fee of $20 USD, your out-of-pocket costs for one established website should be around $255 per year. That's a cost of only about 70 cents per day.

So if the site brings in revenue of just $1 per day, it should be profitable - about $110 yearly profit (that's much better than you'll get with your $255 in most banks).

You should be able to achieve $1 per day with 100 visitors a day and a large rect Adsense creative at the top of every page on the site. Throw in some links to a decent affiliate program and some more traffic, and it'll feel like you're printing money.

This works. I've seen several orphan sites with ZERO revenue suddenly start earning $6 or $7 dollars a day just by adding Adsense creatives to the top of the site pages. The really interesting thing is - the original zero revenue affiliate links on those same pages also started making money right after adding the Adsense ads.

Dynamoo,

Make sure you explore all your options before just giving up on them. As mentioned, AdSense could bring in some income, and sometimes a dormant site will start to just magically produce sales. Who knows why, they just do. This could also happen to any of yours. Just because they haven't been succesful in the past, doesn't necessarily mean they will stay that way forever.

Take a good, hard look at all of them. Then commit to making just one weekly change to each of them. Given time, you might find the right combination that will make them start to perform.

Andy

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    - - - - -
    This works. I've seen several orphan sites with ZERO revenue suddenly start earning $6 or $7 dollars a day just by adding Adsense creatives to the top of the site pages. The really interesting thing is - the original zero revenue affiliate links on those same pages also started making money right after adding the Adsense ads.
    - - - - -

lansing, that's a good idea, I just haven't messed with that PC site for a while. I'll add that in, and who knows!
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I never kill a site.

Like Lansing says, it doesn't take much to make a profit from a site. To take one down is like burning up money!

It's irritating to have a site hardly making any money, but as long as it's up, there's a chance for it to do so.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

If you really want to get rid of them, sell them here on ABW.

Check out the Barter/Trade/Buy Forum
    [SIZE=2]
    [B][URL=http://www.readydomains.com][color=blue]ReadyDomains.com[/color][/URL] - Premium domain names for sale. Your new domain is ready!
    [/B][/SIZE]

I've had to let domains go too. I couldn't keep up with them too many eggs too many baskets. I'm down to about a dozen or so that I work hard at and make good money with.

http and a telephoto
    Dynamoo, there are a lot of great ideas for you in this thread already. And the bottom line is, do you WANT to bother to maintain them or do you feel like you want to focus on other things?

Make your list. Decide what you *want* to do. Decide what fits with your own personal business plan. Then post a note in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum or contact Catalyst for help for the domains you don't want to develop. Or put adsense on them all if it isn't there already and sit on them for a while. Do they all expire at once? Are the hosting bills too high? If not, then let them "cook" for awhile if there isn't pressure to unload them. If yes, then start with the ones you want least to deal with.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    >I'm loath to let the domains expire and be hijacked

Excuse me, but once you let a domain expire, you are no longer the legal owner. The new owner can do whatever the hell they want with it and it is NOT being hijacked.

Hijacking in the domian industry refers to someone taking your name over while yoou are still the rightful owner. So please be careful with your terminology.

I sympathize with Dynamoo and this is an odd coincidence. I was looking at a bunch of my sites this evening and trying to decide whether to abandon some of them.

4 are due for domain name renewal in the next month - 2 have never generated any useful income in two years and since the Austin update have virtually no traffic, one has produced some income in the past but hardly anything or traffic since Austin. The fourth has been a reasonable income generator in the past but very little since Austin.

I'm inclined to abandon 3 of them since they feel like a burden and the designs and ideas I had for them are so last century and I've just got too many sites to spend time upgrading them.

One option is to take some of the content and slot it into other sites or put it into new sub-domains on other sites.

The process of trying to sell them also seems daunting.

Its hard - I hate the idea of abandoning them.
    Eat Less. Move More. :cool:

I'm very glad to see this thread. I have quite a few sites which I've thought about abandoning, but I have never been able to do so.

Looking at the numbers lansing posted, there's always a profit, even if it is a small one.

And one never loses hope that those sites will make it BIG someday!

I have a site that I nearly abandoned because it used to be a good producer, but then it went backwards for about 6 months. It nearly died because I didn't feel like touching it, untill I decided I would give it a complete and total overhaul that would also change it's focus.

That was the best decision I made.

If I were you Moo, I'd keep the domains (maybe sell a couple) and completely change the focus, content, sale pitches, designs, etc (even if they are keyword.com domains). If time is a factor, then maybe bring in a partner and let them do a lot of the grunt work.
    I say we hit it hard and we hit it fast with a major, and I mean "major" leaflet campaign.
    Arnold J. Rimmer : Jupiter Mining Corporation

ABW Ambassador
    I just got my first sale off of a site with a name that doesn't really match the domain. Sometimes you just gotta remodel that crud outta something to get it how you want it.
    I forgot what I was doing.

Moo,

I've sent you a Private Message.

Well I've had a load of PMs (thanks!) which I'll get around to replying after Easter

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Dak142: I'm not sure if I like those odds, is the 8 of 10 fail a real statistic? I feel like I have been putting alot of time into my site and I would really hate to see it all be in vain. But if I don't keep pusing on I will never know. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've heard it more than once and my own experiences bear it out. Some stuff just doesn't work.. when you realise that it's quite normal. Finding the right niche can be a bit of trial and error!

Incidentally, I tend to create "niche" sites rather than megamalls.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>lansing: So if the site brings in revenue of just $1 per day, it should be profitable - about $110 yearly profit (that's much better than you'll get with your $255 in most banks). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Part of the problem is time.. my most profitable site takes a lot of time up but rewards me well for it - that's the $200/day banker. There's not much motivation to work on a $1/day sute.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Andy: As mentioned, AdSense could bring in some income, and sometimes a dormant site will start to just magically produce sales <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but all sites need some maintenance - someone has to go in and wade through all those links. I do use AdSense on high-traffic but poorly converting sites.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Drewbert: Excuse me, but once you let a domain expire, you are no longer the legal owner. The new owner can do whatever the hell they want with it and it is NOT being hijacked. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well yes, you're right. I guess my point is that if I created the snappy domain name and acquired the inbound links, then it *feels* like a hijack.

I'd sooner see them go to another ABWer than let them fall into the hands of scumbags like Ultimate Search. Perhaps a sealed bid auction would be the easiest way of disposal?
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Hey Dynamoo,
    What a way to generate interest in a few domains. Talk about a marketing plan.

Your first post has generated a load of interest and I bet most can't wait to see what domains could be available, hence the PM's.
    Just apply this kind of touch to your sites and you will be one rich moo!!

Seriously tho, dont just let the names expire if they have a listing. I am sure that there are many, including me, who would not mind a bit more information about them.

It would save me trawling thru the expired domains lists every week looking for names with listings!
    --------------------------------------------------
    Life at the top is hard,
    But life at the bottom is harder ....

ABW Ambassador
    I can't stand expired domain lists! Argh... although I did find a useful tool once. You input a word or part of a word and it shows you all the domains with that word that recently became available.

ABW Ambassador
    I personally would keep them if they are good domain names.

Even if the site is a "failure" now, you could have a great idea 1 year from now on how to make it work. Be a bummer to have sold the domain name for a pittance only to stumble on a good idea for it 6 months later.

Considering the inexpensive costs of holding domain names, selling a good one (except for really good money) to me at least doesn't make much sense.

Well I've offered my first dirt cheap recycled domain up just here in case anyone wants one slightly used affiliate site

Where can I find the "bid for link sites"? I have several PR5 links for rent.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast