How important is your domain name? My 2 sites do not use any keywords in the title - well actually just part of the keyword combo.

Am I doomed to failure - have I made it really difficult? Or is a small matter? I see lots of pages that do well without names like we-sell-blue-widgets.com.

Thanks so much for your imput.

Val
    "still-way-too-lame-at-this.com"
    Valerie
    <a target="_blank" style="color: #22229C" href="http://www.thexsiteproexperiment.html">
    XSitePro - it has never been easier to create and manage money making sites</a>

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Am I doomed to failure - have I made it really difficult? Or is a small matter? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Personally I've seen only a little boost from my keyword domain names (compared to my generic names), and nothing that can't be matched by a regular name with just a couple of extra links-in.

So no, you're not doomed. You miss out on a little perk, but it's not a big deal.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Keyword-domain-names used to be all the rage, and they did give you a boost.. however, Google will now mostly likely penalise you for keywords in the domain names with its overoptimisation features.

So.. I think probably the best thing to do is just find something generic and catchy and create a site around that.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Am I doomed to failure - have I made it really difficult? Or is a small matter? I see lots of pages that do well without names like we-sell-blue-widgets.com. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heck no. At least for a content site that hopes to draw back return visitors, I think it is always better to have an easy to remember domain name. I'm still always amazed by how many people go to Google, type in my domain name, and then come to my site.

After all, who wants to type in the address bar keyword1-keyword2-keyword3.com?? A catchy one word domain name is I think far better over the longer haul - although as mentioned you do lose "just a tiny bit" as far as the SE rankings go.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread