Nhl 2009-2010
    Figured I'd start a thread here for the hockey fans on the board. Here's my take on my team, the Buffalo Sabres, for the 09-10 campaign.

Goaltending: Miller is a god. Our back ups, no matter who we run out there, stink. With the olympics this year, and Miller probably playing, we need to go get a decent backup. Marty Biron comes to mind. B+

Top 6 Forwards: Streaky under achievers. Loads of talent (Vanek, Roy, Connolly), but not finding the net because they won't do the work. D

Bottom 6 Forwards: I'll put our bottom 6 against your bottom 6 any day... Grier, Guastadt, Hecht, Kennedy, Kaleta and Matt Ellis own the ice when they are out there. A+

Defense: Strong from top to bottom. 19 year old rookie Tyler Myers (6'8, 200) plays like this is his 7th year in the league. Our GAA and shots against speak to a VERY solid defensive core. The addition of Steve Montador has been a pleasant surprise. A

Overall, I think we can win this pretty weak division. Montreal and Boston are floundering, and Ottawa's goaltending is very suspect. Toronto? Well.......

How's YOUR team look?
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Back to Back cups like the good ol' days!

Need I say more?!
    Jason Rubacky - CEO/SEO Nerd at PassTheSEO
    jason at passtheseo dot com
    @jasonrubacky

Nice. The picture appears to be blocked. Must be the anti-Crosby code I inserted in the board footer. however, we'll take Malkin when you're done with him.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    Nice. The picture appears to be blocked. Must be the anti-Crosby code I inserted in the board footer. however, we'll take Malkin when you're done with him.
    hahahahaha.. I forgot I blocked images from my own site... dooh!!! Should work now.
    Jason Rubacky - CEO/SEO Nerd at PassTheSEO
    jason at passtheseo dot com
    @jasonrubacky

Affiliate Network Rep Brent E. - Shareasale's Avatar
    Goaltending: Two words, Timmy Thomas. Last years vezina winner has gotten off to a slow start, but will get stronger as the season progresses. Tukka Rask, our back up, is young and has a TON of upside. Look to him to spell thomas for at least 25-30 games this season. Maybe even more so that Thomas will have fresh legs come playoff time. A -

Top 6 Forwards: Savard, Lucic, Sturm, Ryder, Bergeron, Wheeler - Not the strongest group of first line forwards. Savard is the one player here that is highly skilled in all aspects of the game. Bergeron is having a break out year. He is leading our forwards in minutes, and typically shuts down the other teams #1 scorer. Savard and Lucic just came off of month long injuries. Getting them back will go a LONG way for our forward depth. B- (thusfar)

Bottom 6 Forwards: Bitz, Begin, Paille, Recchi, Thornton, Krejci -Like Kevin, I LOVE our 3rd and 4th line forwards. I will put these guys up against any group in the league. There is grit, skill, veteran leadership and speed mixed between these 6 guys. I like them against most 3rd and 4th lines. B+

Defense: Chara, Morris, Wideman, Stuart, Ference, Hunwick. One word comes to mind when I think of these 6, Solid. There are no holes here. We have our blue chipper in Chara shutting down your number 1 line. Morris gives us another great puck moving defenseman along with Ference and Hunwick. The defense has kept the Bruins afloat with the key early season injuries to Lucic and Savard. A

I love the Bruins going forward. They are deep at every position and have guys in the minors that can step in if need be and play within our system. Watch out for this team come playoff time. They play a strong defensive style, that moves the puck out of their own end with ease. If Tim Thomas can play close to the level he did last year, we will be a legit cup contender.

God, that's an atrocious picture. Meaning Brent's depiction of the Bruins. Grafitti Boy's is even worse.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

God, that's an atrocious picture. Meaning Brent's depiction of the Bruins. Grafitti Boy's is even worse.
    Don't worry Kev, the Bruins from last year are just around the corner. Our PP really missed Savard. He is the QB of the PP. Tough to miss a guy like that.

You interested in revisiting our friendly wager from last season???

Considering I haven't been to Boston to take you to dinner since last season, probably not

Where's good to eat in Chicago?
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Where's good to eat in Chicago?
    Everywhere! This city knows how to eat. One of my favorite parts of living here thusfar.

Affiliate Network Rep
    Buffalo has been riding the hot streak of Ryan Miller (who should be the starting goalie for the US Olympic team over Tim Thomas). Tim Connolly - who I happen to have in my pool - will continue his point-per-game pace until he gets injured and Thomas Vanek should pick it up soon.

In terms of Boston, getting Savard and Lucic back is huge for this team. They have no secondary scoring now with Kessel and Thomas has been less-than-great for the team. What happened to Ryder, Bergeron and especially Krejci?Could Tuuka Rask really take over the number 1 spot?

Personally, Im a Habs fan all the way. However we are currently playing with a half-AHL team without the servies of our top players like Gomez, Gionta and Markov. Not to mention the losses of Gill, O'Byrne (until recently), and Kostitsyn, which has ravaged our blue line and made players like Hamrlik and Spacek play close to 26 minutes per game.

At the end of the season, I see Boston and Buffalo making the playoffs, and unfortunately I dont see the Canadiens in the picture.

FEARLESS PREDICTION:
    The Maple Leafs will end up last and the first round pick will go to Boston. *Sigh*

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    I'm a huge Sabres fan but they seem to follow a pattern. Strong opening season followed by a good losing streak then off to mediocrity.

At least it's recent
    At least he has a recent cup photo to post, not like a lowly Leafs fan like me Well, we're still building for the future ... just haven't figured out how far into the future that means.

A few years ago I had a wonderful photo of Mats Sundin hoisting the cup -- my first every "photoshopping" project. I called it "Beautiful Dream". Maybe I can find it and post it.

Beautiful Dream
    I found my Sundin picture! I hope that you all enjoy it.

zomg....

I wouldn't jinx the Sabres by doing that. Plus if there was a Sabre and a Stanley Cup in the same picture, the Universe would implode.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread