I received this message from my contact form on my website<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Your website performs a drive-by download of msbb 180searchassistant, incredisearch, cwsearch. Your dialog boxes ostensibly allow such downloads to be denied, but the occur anyway.
    This is unethical immoral and entirely reproachable. May you rot in penniless hell.
    I am circulating information re www.*******.*** regarding your unethical netiquette. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Nice message to wake up to, huh?

I sent him a much nicer message back saying that I don't do any of that stuff, and requested screenshots.

After some research, the guy is actually quite smart, yet comes across as a total @ss!!

What's everone's thoughs on this?

Are you sure it's not your host doing the popups?

Hmm...the tone of the email sounds kinda familiar..
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

No popups from my host. The only links on the url he provided are

1. CJ smartzone
    2. Allposters banner
    3. LS office depot

I'm still waiting for a reply from him.... any bets?
    Rosey Bear Boutique
    Dressy Children's Fashions With Style!
    5% Commission : NYS Merch : Parasite FREE
       Akoss Hosting
    We also provide reseller accounts for ABW members.
    Ask for details

oh, and I run the doxdesk detect script....
    Rosey Bear Boutique
    Dressy Children's Fashions With Style!
    5% Commission : NYS Merch : Parasite FREE
       Akoss Hosting
    We also provide reseller accounts for ABW members.
    Ask for details

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Do you use PPC? Maybe he is seeing your banner on a site that makes use of 'those' guys.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

It's not signed "regards EcomCity" is it?

ABW Ambassador
    I woke up to this email the other day - my very first "hate mail" I've ever gotten in the two years I've been doing this.

Perhaps the most ignorant review of the "city" area I have ever read. You write and sound like every other right wing bigot in your neck of the woods. Do yourself a favor and educate yourself, and I will do you a favor and keep buying up property in your area to push up home values so you pathetic locals can’t reside there any longer.

My replay was really simple :

Glad you like it.

Have a nice day a@@hole

Didn't hear back from the guy. A friend then tipped me off that it might have been a local realtor who didn't like my reference to having a "plague" of realtors in the area where I live!!

Have a feeling this person won't be returning to my site anytime soon!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by elbowcreek:
    Do you use PPC? Maybe he is seeing your banner on a site that makes use of 'those' guys. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>No, I don't use PPC for this site either. That's too funny Seedy Bee

Another friend tells me that there are exit driveby's that have a delay action, so perhaps that is what occurred... damn I hate ppl!

maybe the guy is bs-ing you and nothing happens at all. competion can be cruel and maybe you do it better than him. just something to think about

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    &gt;Another friend tells me that there are exit
    &gt;driveby's that have a delay action

Yes. There are also toolbars out there that delay their appearance for a number of minutes to hide the source of infection.

Allan Gardyne continues to advertise webtoolbars.com in his affiliat enewsletter (Grrrrrr).

"When a visitor opens your web page you can display a toolbar immediately during or after the delay you personally defined.
    New feature: Now bypass Alexa, Google, ... popup blockers!"

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> a drive-by download <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That sounds like someone in the business. Regular consumers probably don't have a name for that kind of thing.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

http and a telephoto
    I didn't know what a drive-by was until I had been reading ABW for a few months. So Joe Consumer most likely doesn't have a clue either.

And I took sites out of my sig here because I was getting hate mail via one of my contact forms without a real return address, so I couldn't reply.

They didn't like the supposed age of my dmoz links, and didn't realize that they aren't just from DMOZ and that modified date doesn't show up, so they thought all my links were 2 years old.

I will be adding a notation on all my sites that if a pop up occurs that they need to contact me because the sites are popup free zones I will also have a doxdesk block that will expand to show if they have junk on their system. I hope to start adding these pieces this week, starting with the most popular and oldest sites I have.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>That sounds like someone in the business. Regular consumers probably don't have a name for that kind of thing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah, like I said, this is a smart guy with what I would consider VAST web experience including DHTML, XML, Java, ASP, coldfusion and more... I don't think this he a regular consumer, and perhaps is just being difficult as nyfalcon suggested.

I've still not heard back from him, and am now starting to doubt that I ever will! Is it worth discussing it with an attorney? I have a mailing address for the guy :lol:

I get all kinds of Hate Mail..

The worst problem is from the @sses who send out the e-mail viruses and spams and use my website e-mail address as the return address for their dirty deeds.

I get hundreds of Phony Virus Returns that I never sent.. All becuase of viruses sent with my e-mail address claimed as the sender. And at times, people directly threaten me because they think I did it.

Unfortunately, I'm no computer wiz. I have enough trouble trying to figure out how to return an e_mail.

So I find it easier to to just delete and ignore this stuff.

In the last 6 years of doing this, I've only had one person who kept on harrasing me, so I sent her an e-mail, telling her that I would prosecute if she didn't stop and it stopped.

What else can you do. It's all part of the affilliate marketing syndrome.

And I don't do e-mail marketing. This is one way of keeping the problems to a minimum.

Cow Patch...

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Stories like this remind me that keeping my email off most of my sites was, indeed, a GOOD move.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread