Getting a kick out of the Black Friday "stuff" showing up after COB Today
    I signed out for dinner, that's the COB* today. Sooo, I signed in a little while ago and see several notices for Black Friday deals - posted while we (here on the East Coast) were having dinner. While it is true that many affiliates have aff marketing as a side line - and they work ALL the time - need to because of the day j*b regular hours. (I used to do that, and still spend too much time "working.")

But, c'mon folks. Hellooo! Tomorrow is Thanksgiving. Many people travel tonight and/or part of tomorrow. Many others host large gatherings. While some of us will just chow down and watch football with the in-laws. Some folks will scramble and work tomorrow and tomorrow night (and neglect family time in order to do so) - and some WILL NOT. Just consider that many of the really BIG affiliate ops are run out of business offices - and that they'll be closed until Monday. Some AM's just wasted a good bit of effort (and will cost their companies many lost sales) by waiting 'til the last minute.

Guess who won't be posting anything "new" for Black Friday...

Sorry... </RANT>

Had I sent something out to our affiliates today it would have said, "Happy Thanksgiving." Didn't send it though - 'cause I didn't want to bother them with yet another email.

*Close Of Business
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

ABW Ambassador
    "Some AM's just wasted a good bit of effort (and will cost their companies many lost sales) by waiting 'til the last minute."

Yep. I'm taking some time out tomorrow to be with family for Thanksgiving but I'll be working until then and afterwards. At first I was wondering where all the BF/CM stuff is, now I'm drowning in it because most wait till the last minute. So now I'm starting with the well known merchants, merchants I've done well with in the past and working down. Some merchants aren't going to make it but they would have if they would have gotten their stuff out earlier, when it wasn't so busy.

I had plenty of time two weeks ago. Not much time now, but I'm going to try to cram in what I can. I fully expect to get a newsletter next Tuesday with Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals in it. LOL.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Got a BF email from Dicks at 10:54pm eastern tonight. I'm sure there will be some that come in tomorrow. Anything sent this late isn't getting put on any of my sites. Emails after 8pm eastern today is where I'm cutting it off. (5pm pacific)
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

For me in Canada tomorrow is just another work day.. a quiet one tho

I'm thinking many merchants/AMs scheduled emails so the offers don't all get posted early (I can put outgoing messages on a timer via Thunderbird).

I've had enough trouble keeping up what to post when.. 11/27 offer that can't be posted before.. 11/26 one day only, etc...

Anyways, I hope you all have a happy Thanksgiving!

So, I got an email from one of my merchants I was waiting for BF/CM deals from. I open it eagerly, read about their deals, and then... they tell me to grab the links from the network interface starting TOMORROW MORNING.

I am ready NOW, I have the programming ability to set the links up to not show til Friday. TRUST me a little bit, ok? Sheesh.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Still happenin' Today. Just taking a break after watching the Packers destroy the Lions (Sorry, Brian) to clear email and check in here. I had three emails about Black Friday specials and there were two posts here within the last two hours - about putting up links for tomorrow.

So, I guess I'll forgo the Turkey dinner with family and get to work on sites...NOT. Our son is home (from the Army) for today only - think I'll be hanging out with him and let the HTML alone for the day. LOL, looks like more time being wasted and merchants losing some sales - by their AMs.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

http and a telephoto
    This happens every year. It's stupid to hold back the deals or only allow them to be posted one day, shoppers know they are happening and can plan ahead if they know what merchants are offering. If merchants think that the entire internet just finds their deals ON Black Friday, they are living in lala land.

The smart merchants (look at Amazon) and the smart AMs trickled out what was going to be on sale ahead of time.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Overtock may be the worst of all: They sent this message yesterday:
    Tomorrow 11/26 at 9:30 PM EST we will send a newsletter containing all of our Black Friday deals. The Deals will be live 11/26 at 10:00 PM EST. Please be ready to post immediately.
    I've spent the day working and cooking, and just started my first Mai-Tai. At 9:30 EST (6:30 PST, here), I will be about done with dinner, have just finished my second Mai Tai, and will be contemplating pie, and either a single malt or a Cognac. I will not be contemplating putting up Overstock links.

p.s. Bill - A sincere "thank you" to your son.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Good thing I wasn't holding my breath for Overstock last night. Their BF Newsletter came an hour late - which was at 10:24 pm EST.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    Good thing I wasn't holding my breath for Overstock last night. Their BF Newsletter came an hour late - which was at 10:24 pm EST.
    Unreal.............. are they nuts? Guess we'll get monday's stuff on tuesday.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

OK - this is now officially THE WORST YET:

Perpetual Kid - Black Friday newsletter received 6:42 pm PST on Fri. Nov. 27.

Contained therein is the first ever, as far as I know, reference to their "New Site".

In horror, I went to a recently updated page on one of my sites that has Perpetual Kid product links, that worked fine a few days ago. Now, the landing page for each of them, on their "New Site" (which looks strangely IDENTICAL to the old site) is a DIFFERENT PRODUCT!

So, at the height of the busiest time of the year, during BF/CM weekend, they have chosen to re-do their site, wiping out all existing product links.

I also checked some of the banners they currently have up in the SAS interface, and some that advertise specific products go to pages like "Page No Longer Exists" or their home page.

added: I checked their past few newsletters, and there is NO prior mention of a "New Site" or any effect that would have on links.
    Last edited by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound; November 28th, 2009 at 04:03 PM. Reason: addendum

Shouldn't we be able to honor them with some kind of --- stupid merchant --- award?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    Shouldn't we be able to honor them with some kind of --- stupid merchant --- award?
    Good one, leeann. Thanks for the chuckle this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    p.s. Bill - A sincere "thank you" to your son.
    Thanks for the mention, Super Dawg. I will be sure to pass that on. Mrs. Beachy and I are quite proud of him and what he and his colleagues are doing on behalf of all of us.

The compassionate care and feeding of affiliates continues with Cyber Monday specials. Here's one for example:
    Xxxxx is having a 24 Hour Sale today, customers get xxxxxx off xxxxxx items with Code: xxxxxxxx. This offer is good one day only, 11/30/2009 until midnight.
    So, when did that one show up? This AFTERNOON (11/30 EST) - right in the middle of Cyber Monday. Yep, the "special offer" was ALREADY HALF OVER when it was posted on ABW. Looks like another one that some of us will not be posting.

Sorry... </ RANT>

This happens every year. I normally contact my best retailers ahead of time. While they may not want to share the deals early with every single affiliate via a mass newsletter, they are usually more than willing to let their top affiliates know the plans (even if they are sometimes still in progress) ahead of time.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread