Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Merchant says, "Anti up or get out by December 1st." Happy Holidays, eh?
    Another one of "those" merchants, huh? Received this in an email the other day (Monday).

"Due to our growing number of affiliates and to the huge success of our program around the world and on QVC we need to make room for performing affiliates. Starting December 1st ALL non performing affiliates will be removed from our program as we are currently converting a high percentage of visitors thanks for your support."

Yup, that was the entire email.

So, I checked the numbers - 184 clicks total, 112 this month (until this morning) - zero sales. It was only a banner, no "pre-sales narrative" - so it was time to pull them or "get busy writing" anyway. Replaced with AdSense (as a trial run) and already made a couple of bucks.

No greeting, no signature, just the "automated sig" through the network:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    This message was sent by one of
    your Merchant Partners, -------------------,
    at ----------------------.

If you do not wish to receive email from this Merchant,
    please remove yourself from their Affiliate Program.

Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    "Due to our growing number of affiliates and to the huge success of our program around the world and on QVC we need to make room for performing affiliates. "
    Because we all know affiliate programs can only hold so many affiliates, any more than that and then they explode!
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    Because we all know affiliate programs can only hold so many affiliates, any more than that and then they explode!
    That made me lol.

Seriously, I don't know what is in some of these people's heads. I do know that there are some merchants that think their manager has to call/email/talk to somehow each affiliate individually, when most affiliates would prefer not to have that close of contact. So *maybe* that is a reason for them to limit their numbers.

I can't fathom why a merchant would remove potentially good affiliates in a general "housekeeping sweep".
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    I can't fathom why a merchant would remove potentially good affiliates in a general "housekeeping sweep".
    The same goes for networks. I cannot fathom why CJ thinks it necessary to remove affiliates who have not generated a sale in 6 months. Although they now facilitate immediate re-instatement, with no loss of affiliate partners (so you don't have to apply again), they take your earnings up to $10 (I think it is). In my own case, they remain the only network with which I have zero earnings as a result, and I am unlikely to spend much time looking into their new merchants. Maybe their merchant set is just not appropriate for my own use, but they are the only network in which I have had no success. Even when I join a merchant program which I think should do well on my site, I get zero sales, while in programs elsewhere else (Linkshare, Buy.at, Amazon, several other merchants with their own programs), I always sell something. It may be too little to get a payout (Itunes at Linkshare generates sales but it takes a lot of them to earn much - and they have recently reduced their cookie duration from 120 days to 3 days!), but at least I know its working.

Had CJ not taken the measly $6 I had managed to earn, back a few years ago, I might actually spend some time looking around there. Instead, I only add one or two merchants a year that have something specific I need, or add merchants who I might get active with but have not yet had the time to do so.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I didn't realize that the networks were now limiting the number of affiliates who could join a program...

Really it is time for merchants to take more responsibility for their lack of tracking & conversions. It is sad that Adsense earns more on a product page than merchant products being featured.
    These housecleaning purges are of course keeping PPC affiliates and parasites while eliminating smaller SEO focused sites.

Quote Originally Posted by shuvee
    The same goes for networks. I cannot fathom why CJ thinks it necessary to remove affiliates who have not generated a sale in 6 months. Although they now facilitate immediate re-instatement, with no loss of affiliate partners (so you don't have to apply again), they take your earnings up to $10 (I think it is). In my own case, they remain the only network with which I have zero earnings as a result, and I am unlikely to spend much time looking into their new merchants. ......[snip]......
    It seems to me they actually do a disservice to their merchants with such a policy. I, too, stopped looking there a good while back. I do have one active merchant at CJ - I like a particular brand of coffee, so I order a few times a year - self-referral, of course - but it keeps the account open - just in case...

I guess you can tell - the merchant whose email prompted this thread is NOT a CJ merchant. In fact, considering their "connections," I was actually surprised to receive such a "friendly" email. </ sarcasm>
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

Okay, Bill, so spill the beans -- which merchant was this?

I ask because I THINK I got the same email and after reading it indignantly, I deleted it. But now I can't find it and want to make sure I avoid whoever they were.

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

Bill I am amazed you didn't write a reply, I bet you could do a good one.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    Okay, Bill, so spill the beans -- which merchant was this?

I ask because I THINK I got the same email and after reading it indignantly, I deleted it. But now I can't find it and want to make sure I avoid whoever they were.

Gary
    Subject line of email: Jessica Simpson / Ken Paves Products

Pre-formatted sig line in email:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    This message was sent by one of
    your Merchant Partners, ShopKenPaves.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny O'Hare
    Bill I am amazed you didn't write a reply, I bet you could do a good one.
    Nah, couldn't do it today. It's Thanksgiving and I'm in more of a family, spirit of giving and sharing, frame of mind. My "sarcasm switch" has been [mostly] turned off for the holiday.

BTW - looks like the email came from the merchant and not their OPM. Their OPM knows better and would not send something so "blunt" at holiday time.

There's only so much room!

Apparently this is how he see us.

-rematt
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Smile
    Well I'm trying to out perform last years 13.4% conversion ration for last week of November sales for my merchant client. At least they made it easy and let me program the cart to give 20% off when you buy 3+ items... and the free frreight offer. That should at least allow 1 good sized sale for every 10 visitors when my spiffy art work gets their attention...

Meanwhile I never terminated a single affiliate since 1998 as all follow the physical click from their own domain page creatives rule.
    Last edited by ecomcity; November 26th, 2009 at 02:39 PM. Reason: a typo ... of course
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    BTW - looks like the email came from the merchant and not their OPM. Their OPM knows better and would not send something so "blunt" at holiday time.
    Their " X " OPM, we have not seen eye to eye for months now, they don't listen well .... want to do things their way regardless of any advice, a trip to affiliate summit and having met numerous affiliates that told them how this channel works.

I almost fell off my seat when I read that email from Roy ....
    Also, BTW, I have never removed any affiliate, from any program, except for fraud, since I have been running programs since 2001 !

You are correct Bill, I would never send anything out like that, that's not my style ...
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Off topic...

Andy, the link: | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | on your sig, don't work...

Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    http://forum.abestweb.com/attachment...tid=3737&stc=1

-rematt
    and
    "Because we all know affiliate programs can only hold so many affiliates, any more than that and then they explode! '

hee hee

Least you guys were in the program longer than me. lol Had applied before Andy started managing it. Got approved, then removed (teeny while later, nothing I had done, don't remember reason, maybe coupon type reason or too little, don't remember) That'll teach em tho lol Have very long hair and use a lotta hair products and would never buy any of their products cos of that. lol

Does a no or low performing affiliate cost the merchant anything?
    I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Bud Lite than Kay.

lol I applied for their program a few days ago and Roy declined it. I replied back and asked why was I declined. He mentioned that my sites are not generating any traffic. I was about to promote them through my main websites that are generating enough clicks and sales but glad that they declined my application before I posted too many links. Anyway, I can see, they don't seem to understand the value of links. 1 link lost is +1 link to their competitor, no matter it is from a teenie affiliate or a rookie affiliate. I'm sure, there are enough merchants that value those clicks
    Actually, I was shocked because I was under the impression that Andy is managing their affiliate program, but then I was surprised to see the email coming from Roy Gonzalez. But then knew Andy could never send such emails. Thanks for all the info guys

Quote Originally Posted by suzie250
    Does a no or low performing affiliate cost the merchant anything?
    lol good question. Guess it is too tough to manage that heavy list of affiliates that are not generating any sales. Slaughter .. slaughter .. slaughter ..

http://forum.abestweb.com/attachmen...ntid=3737&stc=1

-rematt
    LOL I nearly fell outta my chair laughing

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar

-rematt
    That is so coooooool -

And definately says a LOT ( w/out saying anything ) about these Merchants that want to trim down their programs ......

How much space can a potential SUPER affiliate take up on their precious servers?

Mr. Bill.... F 'em and feed 'em fish-heads....

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by toptenservices
    Actually, I was shocked because I was under the impression that Andy is managing their affiliate program, but then I was surprised to see the email coming from Roy Gonzalez. But then knew Andy could never send such emails. Thanks for all the info guys
    We were and we tried but when we constantly were butting heads and they insisted on doing things their way, well, it was time for us to walk away. They are good guys, mean well but have a huge ego with the brand and insist on running things their way, ignoring best practices and established industry standards.

I wish them good luck with their program ....
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Love ya for putting in those words Andy.

At times it is really tough for "me" to use that sort of language when I have to deal with "professionals" like them (here I'm trying hard again to use professional language lol). But surprisingly, my last email to them was a polite one, wishing them all the best. And I got another email after few hours ..

"Ok apply again and I will see what I can do and lets see what happens over the coming 90 days"

excuse me ..

why they would not try to engage you and have you voluntarily participate is a mystery... the long term benefits far outweigh the shock and awe + bs approach. oh well.
    [URL]http://Essociate.com[/URL]

Well, what sort of statement is that ..

"Apply again and I will see what I can do"

What is there that "you" have to do? Are you going to approve me for a free website? Or are you going to ask someone to write content for me? Are you going to be answerable to anyone if you approve me in your affiliate program?

And then "Let's see what happens over the coming 90 days"

So I will invest time, energy, brain and money to promote you and if it happens to be that I don't generate a sale within 90 days, what are you planning to do? Keep me under the radar? Kick me off your affiliate program?

Why this sort of attitude? You wish to hire just the super affiliates? Then why not include that in your TOS? That your website should generate specific number of impressions, clicks, sales, etc and only then you can join? I mean, there has to be something on your mind before approving/rejecting affiliates. It seems to me they do the ingy-pingy-pongy thing to approve/reject.

ABW Ambassador
    Listen to that whisper that says "Run Away, run away!"

Hello MSL,

I hear your advice
    It is good and I'll be saving myself some peace. ok .. here I run to find better affiliate programs that care about their affiliates.

Regards,
    Andy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast