I am using Outlook 2002 and all my messages and folders within the Inbox are fine. But when I click on Contacts, the right pane shows "Unable to Display Folder". I am not running Exchange just a local version of Outlook. I can't access the Address Book nor can I right click a user and Add To COntacts. Looks like something is corrupted.

I also tried importing from an old Backup but with no luck.

Any ideas? I would love to get my contact list back!

ABW Ambassador
    Have you tried restarting? That's usually an indication of not enough memory.

Yup, tried, rebooting. Tried importing old back file and even tried adding a new PST file into Outlook. I am not ready to reinstall yet, wanted to try everything first. I ma hopeful my address book is still in there, just that some files are corrupted. Hopefully, there is a fix for this one?

ABW Ambassador
    Couple of things you want to do.

First thing you want to do is attempt to copy everything in the address book. If you're using Windows XP:
    C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\wab
    All the addresses are in that file.

If you're not using XP, use Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book. Double click the Address Book folder in the left pane of the Windows Explorer and you should see the *.wab file in the right pane. Or you can use Windows Find File/Folders to search for *.wab.

Opening the .wab file will tell you whether or not that file is corrupted. Everything in there should look exactly like your address book. If it doesn't, it's corrupted. Copy the entire address book. If you're asked what file you want to use to open it, use notepad or wordpad and make sure the box stating "always use this file to open this program" (or something to that effect) is NOT checked.

Then, take a look at this:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=242074

After doing the above and possibly removing corrupted files as per MS, I'd reload Outlook.

Let me know if you need more info.

ABW Ambassador
    Just thought of something else. As a last resort, and assuming you haven't deleted the data, you could pull addresses from your 'sent items' folder. It will take time, but at least you'll have some if not all of the address.

ABW Ambassador
    This may do it.

http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Left it as a cached version of Google. Look towards the bottom of the page for "corrupted" highlighted in yellow.

Seems to be your identical problem where several people said it fixed the problem.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried each of them but to no avail. I can't even right click on a From field within an email to Add Contacts (The messaging interface has encountered an unknown error). I can however add a new Personal List and start all over again! Looks like I will have to try the reinstall method. Not sure if my Palm is up to date with Contacts to sync up, darn it!

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread