Web hosting type to install/use Webmerge remotely
    Hi,

I have been compressing, uploading, uncompressing thousand of files generated with Webmerge. Very time consuming. Currently I have a cheap managed shared hosting. I was wondering whether there is a Windows web hosting solution that allows to install and use webmerge remotely instead. In that case I would just upload the exported text data and generate remotely all webpages. The question are:
    1) Do I have to go for an expensive dedicated windows server to install Webmerge remotely?
    2) Can I opt for a VPS hosting or any other cheaper option to install/use Webmerge remotely?

Anyone has experience to share on this?

Thanks!!

FF

Quote Originally Posted by fabio
    Hi,

I have been compressing, uploading, uncompressing thousand of files generated with Webmerge. Very time consuming. Currently I have a cheap managed shared hosting. I was wondering whether there is a Windows web hosting solution that allows to install and use webmerge remotely instead. In that case I would just upload the exported text data and generate remotely all webpages. The question are:
    1) Do I have to go for an expensive dedicated windows server to install Webmerge remotely?
    2) Can I opt for a VPS hosting or any other cheaper option to install/use Webmerge remotely?

Anyone has experience to share on this?

Thanks!!

FF
    Well, you say that you have been compressing, uploading, uncompressing thousand of files generated with Webmerge, but you didn't mention how many files...

I have never done any compressing, uploading, and uncompressing files made with WebMerge before.

When I was learning how to use WebMerge (a few years ago), I was on dial up, and my biggest datafeed was under 3,000 files, so I just took the time to upload those pages without any compression, and had to deal with that very time consuming task...

Later, when I started using merchants dataffed with over 5k, I moved to DSL, but that didn't help me much on the upload time, so I decided to learn PHP/MySql and never had to worry about any big datafeed anymore...

If I get an small feed, I may use WM, but if it's a big feed, I would use my PHP/MySql scripts and just rename the pages .html

It's too bad that we can't use WebMerge in a similar way as with PHP/MySql, yet!

you could run it on a windows vps and control it through remote desktop or something.

Affiliate Manager
    Two additions to WebMerge are in development which will help:

For v3 WebMerge will have the ability to keep track of when records change, and only re-generate and re-upload changed files. For most feeds this will cut the upload time considerably.

Also in development is a Linux-based edition which will run in a command-line mode as a CGI, so you could do the generation directly on the server. I should note however that the process of generating pages on the server will be about as computationally intensive as it is on the desktop, so on a shared hosting setup this may not be a panacea if you have a large feed and your host limits the clock cycles you can use.

The server product will be based on the WebMerge 3.0 code base, and both are in development now. I don't have a specific release date at this time, and need to finalize some fine-tuning of v2.6 before I can resume work on the v3 code base full-time.

In the meantime, if you can run GUIs on a dedicated server remotely you should be able to use the current version for what you need.

And in the worst-case scenario, you can still let WebMerge upload its generated files while you kick back and enjoy a good cup of coffee.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Quote Originally Posted by FourthWorld
    Two additions to WebMerge are in development which will help:

For v3 WebMerge will have the ability to keep track of when records change, and only re-generate and re-upload changed files. For most feeds this will cut the upload time considerably.

And in the worst-case scenario, you can still let WebMerge upload its generated files while you kick back and enjoy a good cup of coffee.
    Thanks for the good news. At the moment I synchronize the local and remote directories without having to re-upload all files. The same ftp program also allows me to upload up to 20 files at a time with a multiple thread connection so it is quite fast. For those out there interested in this ftp program that syncronize and have a multi thread engine google 3d-ftp . Filezilla is also a good multi thread ftp program but not sure it is as fast as 3d-ftp and has the synchronization option. I look forward to seeing the new features.

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks. I wish we had a threaded FTP engine, but with the reduced need to transfer files at all I don't think it will matter much.

I've been working out the details of that implementation while I wrap up v2.6, and it will mean an increase in file size of the settings file, but not onerously so: We'll be storing an MD5-based signature of each record, comparing it with new ones in an updated feed. An MD5 signature is 24 bytes, so our historically tiny 1.5k settings files may be a couple hundred K when used with substantial feeds. But even then, it's not very large by many standards, and disk space is far cheaper than your time.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread