A friend recommended SpySweeper program so I tried it. Wow! It found 72 adware programs and adware cookies on my computer. These programs even bypassed Norton AV. I wholeheartedly recommend this free piece of software. I think Haiko will allow this link to stay if it hasn't been said before. You can get the program here. What's on your computer?
    [SIZE=2]
    [B][URL=http://www.readydomains.com][color=blue]ReadyDomains.com[/color][/URL] - Premium domain names for sale. Your new domain is ready!
    [/B][/SIZE]

[["What's on your computer?"]]
    _____

I use Ad-aware 6 and Spybot - Search & Destroy

What ad-blocker you're using?

I use Ad-Aware and SpyBot, and I have my security settings on full force when I venture out in unfamiliar territory on the internet. I also have another computer that I use to test with, it has a few selected parasites on it, so I can observe and document their activities.

These parasitic apps are like Rabbits, they reproduce like crazy!

Andy

I also have ad-aware and it just doesnt find as many of these adware programs as Spy Sweeper.
    [SIZE=2]
    [B][URL=http://www.readydomains.com][color=blue]ReadyDomains.com[/color][/URL] - Premium domain names for sale. Your new domain is ready!
    [/B][/SIZE]

Outsourced Program Manager Bryan Rhodes's Avatar
    Spike,

Thanks for the lead on Spy Sweeper. It found a lot of things that ad-aware missed.

Bryan

http and a telephoto
    I was happy with SpyBot, and downloaded AdAware finally and pretty much it just found the SpyBot back up files. BUT Spy Sweeper just found a bunch more crap that both SpyBot and AdAware missed, including GATOR!!!!! Where the heck did that come from and why is it there after I ran the other 2 programs. And that damn Alexa toolbar that I UNINSTALLED won't go away either.

Thanks for the tip about Spy Sweeper.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    This did a great job and found stuff that I didn't know was there. It worked great, but I don't think I will be recommending it to my visitors.

It deleted all major cookies as adware (ex: cj, valueclick, quick serve, clickbank, etc.) Also, it has a cookie shield which is very easy to activate. If the user has that on it will automatically and immediately remove the cookies noted as adware from the user's computer as soon as they are set.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I'm testing it now. The first thing I noticed is that it said I had the Alexa Toolbar--something I never knowingly downloaded (I just use the quickie link option).

But it also says *this* about Alexa's bar:

"Alexa is a search toolbar that dynamically inserts web site links of partnered web sites into the web page you are currently viewing, based on your web surfing habits"

Anyone know if there's anything to this?

They also claim, "The Alexa toolbar is bundled with Windows XP, Microsoft Internet Explorer 6, and with some new Dell computers."

There was no visible installation of any toolbars on this computer when I bought it. Although there was a hidden MMM installer so I suppose there *could* have been some hidden Alexa Toolbar files too...

Overall I'm a bit skeptical about this program, due to the misinformation I saw. I'd have spotted it if something on my own computer added fishy links to my sites--after all, that would be right in my face!

As for the cookies, it flagged what seems to be all of them. I'm glad they have a mass-deselect button, because I'm keeping mine uncrumbled.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread