I have read a few posts where people discuss programs that they have that create tens of thousands of pages.

I see terms like "link building program" "data feed file - asp"

It all went over my head - can someone please explain what these people are doing.

If others are creating 50,000 plus pages with programs the little 150 page content site I am working on seems rediculous.

Am I missing something? Are these the programs that make mini directory like pages? YOu click on a link only to find another list you have to go through - man as a surfer I hate those.

Thanks for any input - I am just trying to learn as much as I can.

Val
    "still way to lame at this"
    Valerie
    <a target="_blank" style="color: #22229C" href="http://www.thexsiteproexperiment.html">
    XSitePro - it has never been easier to create and manage money making sites</a>

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Am I missing something? Are these the programs that make mini directory like pages? YOu click on a link only to find another list you have to go through - man as a surfer I hate those.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They can be set up any number of ways. I have the same dislike for lists after lists after lists, and Google doesn't seem to like them either (The PR tends to disappear before the back pages are reached with too deep of a structure), so I try to keep that to a minimum. There does have to be at least one list, though, to provide a way to the back pages.

Also, G will only spider 101k per page, so lists longer than that have to be broken down in order to get them all spidered.

Most of my traffic comes into the back pages from SEs, though, so most people don't have to deal with the front pages.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If others are creating 50,000 plus pages with programs the little 150 page content site I am working on seems rediculous. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a lot harder to come up with lots of content than it is to make datafeed-driven sales pages, simply because most content doesn't come in large, pre-packaged formats! So it's not really fair to compare the size of a content site with a mechanized sales site. 150 pages is a LOT of content! It's a rarity when you can find content that's actually WebMergeable and available for use.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I see terms like "link building program" "data feed file - asp" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Link building program--From what I understand, these make those directory sites. I don't like the DMOZ-type/Yahoo-type directory setup, so I haven't explored these.

WebMerge--a program that makes both index and detail pages based on feed data. It's easiest to make a 2-level site with WM, but it's possible to have as many levels as you want.

Data feed file--A list of products and information about those products (descriptions, SKUs, prices, tracking URLs, etc.)

ASP--That's a programming language which can be used to make dynamic sites. So is PHP. MySQL's a database which is often used with PHP, although it can be useful even without PHP.

Dynamic Sites--Sites which make their pages "on the fly," generally using info from a database.

Static Sites--Sites which show regular pages. HTML, HTM, SHTML, etc. It's it and that's that; it doesn't change until you upload something on top of the old one. Can eat huge amounts of disk space for a feed site. Some say they're easier to get indexed in the SEs, but others say dynamic sites can be indexed just as well--at least in the SEs that count. Without making a direct comparison, I can't comment on the validity of either opinion regarding spiderability.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Good job leader...

You explained it, in a very easy to understand way...

JOe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Good post Leader,
    I had a vague answer to all those questions but could have NEVER layed out the answers like you have. I enjoyed reading it.

your LEADER moniker is well suited!

What Leader said.

All the other explanations I have seen are all longer (and more confusing).

Better bookmark this one

Fred

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If others are creating 50,000 plus pages with programs the little 150 page content site I am working on seems rediculous. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never write off the power of a good content site! Just because you have more pages doesn't necessarily mean you'll have more sales. More pages can of course provide sales - but it isn't a guarantee.

I'll personally take fewer, well ranking pages in the SE's and which get return visitors back anyday over most of these auto-generated pages that frequently don't rank well and can't be found.

But that is just me. I'm beginning to think I'm incapable to making a true "sales" or "mall" site - everything I touch soon turns into a content site whether I want it to or not.

http and a telephoto
    Leader's answer is the best!

And my sites with 30,000-60,000 pages have the bulk of the pages being detailed product pages, if they were all lists of links it would be nuts!!!

I have also noticed about too deep of a structure, one feed in particular that has 4 levels isn't getting crawled past the first 2 levels at all...
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Thanks for all of your input. Leader - I understnad most of what you said - lol - at any rate it is alot clearer now.

Val
    Valerie
    <a target="_blank" style="color: #22229C" href="http://www.thexsiteproexperiment.html">
    XSitePro - it has never been easier to create and manage money making sites</a>

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread