Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Under the wing
    Just curious as to how many affiliates with perhaps limited success so far would be interested in being taken under wing by some great affiliate managers / merchants.

I also wonder how many merchants (I'm guessing a lot) would be willing to work with a direct group of people in order to help turn their situation around.

I think there would have to be some ground rules such as willingness and eagerness, determination and hard work.

If I am crazy just say so

Maybe it would be wrong for merchants to do this perhaps it would be considered favortism what do you think?

Edited to remove my signature
    Last edited by Heyder; December 1st, 2009 at 02:58 PM.

This sounds interesting. How exactly would be the less inexperienced folks be helped? What do you mean by "take under their under wing". This sounds noble, but giving more explicit details on your program could be helpful.

ABW Ambassador
    That's what affiliates are supposed to bring to the table, help the merchants with sales.

I can understand if you're talking about stuff like tools to make pages and such, creative/links, a better understanding of the company.

Or are you crossing over whereas the affiliate would be more of an employee.

Let's see what could be done. I don't know right now. Ideas anyone?

Excellent point trust!

How about we change this to affiliates taking affiliates under their wing on a professional basis more so than just the loose fitting help found around here?

The problem with that is you stand to take a loss by helping someone else out. Then the question becomes where do new affiliate marketers go to really learn how to become successful?

Kind of answers the question to that infamous thread I started.

http and a telephoto
    Many of us help others on a daily basis. That is a big part of what ABW is about. We just don't publicize the fact. Any Affiliate Manager or OPM worthy of the name spends their days helping affiliates use the tools available to them and gives them site critiques and recommends product placement every day. It's why my Affiliate ABCs podcast exists and why I post it here, why other OPMs and merchants post links to their blogs and post helpful articles.

Most of us try to do as much publicly as possible so that everyone can benefit. Are you saying we need a formalized process? Some people aren't willing to ask for help in public but that doesn't mean they aren't being mentored by people right here.

The thread with recommended tips for newbies using ABW is also underway, what other changes are you asking for? I guess I am confused by your questions here and in "that other thread". I am wondering if you look around ABW to see what already exists?

Managers help affiliates because it helps their merchants. It's all part of the "job" and I take as much of that "public" for everyone's benefit as much as possible, as do many others. Michael Coley, Kevin, Leader have all made posts that mentor and educate.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Just curious as to how many affiliates with perhaps limited success so far would be interested in being taken under wing by some great affiliate managers / merchants.
    I hate to say this but I think I'm the perfect candidate for something like this. Been working / learning for almost 5 years now and I'm not much further than I was when I started. Though this year it looks as though I will make about 33% more than I did last year. (And I am way to embarrassed to tell anyone what I have made in November.)

I have learned a great deal about coding, databases, html, php, seo... I feel like I know alot of **** but at the same time, I am failing financially. I keep telling myself that the skills I have now will provide for me should I ever need to go to work for someone else.

I know what a few of my weaknesses are, but haven't quite figured out how to work around them and make the most of my strengths.

The problem with that is you stand to take a loss by helping someone else out.
    That is exactly why I personally have been afraid to tell that I need more help than what I have been able to do on my own (and the $$ to actually pay someone). I don't want to hurt anyone else in the process, but I don't want to struggle anymore. I've been dabbling with some other things over the last few months but I keep coming back because I truly enjoy building websites and seeing how well I can get them placed in the SE's.

What could I give back if someone could help me? I have skills that I could trade for...., I could share in the commissions....I could help Aff marketers with less skills than I.....I have more time than most.

What would you want if you were to help someone?
    I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Bud Lite than Kay.

No plans in mind just wanted to know your thoughts.

Sounds like you are doing a lot of hard work and your heart is in it Loxly.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    That's what affiliates are supposed to bring to the table, help the merchants with sales.

I can understand if you're talking about stuff like tools to make pages and such, creative/links, a better understanding of the company.

Or are you crossing over whereas the affiliate would be more of an employee.
    First time I have ever disagreed with you enough to tell ya bro...

Merchants are HERE to help Affiliates make sales.....

Reaping the benefits of those sales is a given.....

Too many merchants sign up everyone they can and work %'s....

Too hell with the small guy trying to build a new site.

Don't get into contact with them, work on SEO, page building, how to run a DB site, how to build links instead of depending on banners....

I could go on.....

A dedicated AM should be in contact with everyone, letting them know what's working and what's not in their program..

Big Guys were Little Guys at one point.....

Much Love Bro!

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

11. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    "A dedicated AM should be in contact with everyone, letting them know what's working and what's not in their program."

Which is what I said - "I can understand if you're talking about stuff like tools to make pages and such, creative/links, a better understanding of the company."

But you think merchants should do this for affiliates -

"Don't get into contact with them, work on SEO, page building, how to run a DB site, how to build links instead of depending on banners...."

Not sure if I'm reading that right.

You're the marketer. A merchant shouldn't have to teach or do your SEO for you, teach you how to make sites, build links for you etc. That all falls under what you should be doing. I'd rather a merchant/affiliate manager spend their time answering emails and doing their job than holding somebody's hand.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    You're the marketer.
    I am, but how many of the people that come here for answers AREN'T?

They build a site.

Sometimes they are great ..... Sometime they suck!

And there they sit.

Lot's of folks out there that don't have years of internet marketing experience that we do...

Trial and Error ...

I still screw things up on a regular basis.

If they are buiding niche sites around well performing merchants, with little more than a dream, wouldn't it be nice to spend 15 minutes, maybe 30 with a new affiliate to help them in ANY WAY POSSIBLE?

IMHO!

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Okay just took a catnap and thought this over.

Here is what I am going to do.

I have a great plan in mind!

I need a min of 5 people who would describe themselves as willing to learn, work hard and dedicate themselves to this 100% ie no quitting.

Under no circumstance will this have anything to do with or help my personal merchant program. IOW it will only involve other merchant's affiliate programs.

More Rules:
    You have to have something done already with a site
    You can't be afraid to cooperate with others working towards a greater goal
    You have to be corny
    You have to work on this any 5 days of a week and will have a workload of approx 2 hours/day.
    None of these efforts are to benefit sites not related to this effort (the group)

I can't make guarantees but my goal will be for you to earn 5,000 per month within 6 months time.

I too will partake in the efforts so that is my personal gain.

PM me if you don't want your name called out in public.

Pick me!
    I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Bud Lite than Kay.

I have some concerns about your idea Heyder. First, this business is a "what's in it for me business", and I think you're going to have a lot more students wanting to be taught than veterans willing to teach just out of the goodness of their hearts. If you're thinking about merchants training affiliates, there's the risk of diluting the market for whatever method you're teaching. If all the students utilize the same method[s] you're teaching, they'll be competing with each other for a limited market and end up discouraged. Part of the beauty of Internet marketing is the diverse and yet to be invented methods of attracting customers.

I'd guess that the majority of people interested in affiliate marketing are not equipped or motivated enough to really be successful. The ones who are willing to work hard, are innovative, and imaginative are the ones who will succeed. And you can't teach that.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    as long as this doesn't involve PPC, I'm in :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Boomers Supply
    I have some concerns about your idea Heyder. First, this business is a "what's in it for me business", and I think you're going to have a lot more students wanting to be taught than veterans willing to teach just out of the goodness of their hearts. If you're thinking about merchants training affiliates, there's the risk of diluting the market for whatever method you're teaching. If all the students utilize the same method[s] you're teaching, they'll be competing with each other for a limited market and end up discouraged. Part of the beauty of Internet marketing is the diverse and yet to be invented methods of attracting customers.

I'd guess that the majority of people interested in affiliate marketing are not equipped or motivated enough to really be successful. The ones who are innovative and imaginative are the ones who will succeed. And you can't teach that.
    I'll be the veteran and I have the plan. As far as who is in that is up to you all. If you want in than you are in. You only need follow the rules and are accountable to the group.
    Last edited by Heyder; December 1st, 2009 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    as long as this doesn't involve PPC, I'm in :-)
    Not a chance and not a single bit of investing into anything but your own sites. No paid marketing at all. All natural serps are the only way to build an empire that will stick.

Okay we've got a good group coming together already. Now I will put the feelers out for some merchants willing to help us out and kind of adopt us.

Feel free to pm me if you are an affiliate manager or merchant willing to work on this experiment with us.

We will let this go until tomorrow and after that the group is closed to outsiders.
    Last edited by Heyder; December 1st, 2009 at 04:48 PM.

Michael

Could you provide us a hidden forum with privacy so we don't have to go somewhere else to work?

If there is a cost involved or if something could be worked out let me know.

If you get a second group together after the holidays, I may very well be interested. I have often wanted to get involved in something AM related with a team effort.

Sfcom We won't be doing much before the holidays. Please feel free to be a part of it.

OK, sign me up then. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Heyder
    Okay just took a catnap and thought this over.

Here is what I am going to do.

I have a great plan in mind!

I can't make guarantees but my goal will be for you to earn 5,000 per month within 6 months time.

I too will partake in the efforts so that is my personal gain.

PM me if you don't want your name called out in public.
    Earn 5,000 per month within 6 months time?

You better get ready for an influx of close to 60k members sending you a PM in a little while!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast