Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bing Cashback affiliate killer?
    Hi All,

I have really dumb question. If a person clicks through my site and then decided to buy that product via Bing CashBack, would that void my commission? I mean that person would be leaving my site and probably merchant site and look up bing.com to get the CashBack. Would my cookie still be valid?

Thanks all in advanced.

ABW Ambassador
    Most likely not.

That is also true with most all CASH BACK sites (called LOYALTY sites). There are MANY MANY variations of these CASH BACK / LOYALTY sites

Thanks redtagdeals, Good To here...

But why are you saying Most likely not? Is there chance BingCash back takes over the cookie?

Honestly I was really worried about Bing CashBack since that's getting really popular.

ABW Ambassador
    You cookie will be overwritten by any loyalty site like bing or several others out there.

Bing cashback is perhaps should be more worrisome to those loyalty sites. If you have a loyalty site, it is time to look for diversifying your biz.

I don't have loyalty site.

So sounds like I am safe?

ABW Ambassador
    Perhaps you're no worse off than before bing. Actually with bing's cashback becoming popular it will affect ALL affiliates to some extent. I think the LOYALTY sites may be the worst affected.

bing has a different tracking code... so I am suspecting the merchant would pay one commission for the affiliate and one to bing.. totally different.

What really shocked me this week was when I clicked on my Buy.com link and saw an invitation to join Bing flashing right in the middle of their front page. It did make me wonder what would happen to the affiliate commissions in that case.
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

Bing cashback voids all affiliate commissions..

Am I losing commissions to Bing? Yep!

Am I making a ton of money this season? Yep!

The worst thing that Bing will do to an affiliate is give them an excuse to not try harder. Far too many affiliates spend all of their time complaining about Bing, Toolbars, Parasites, Adware, instead of building solid websites that make a ton of money.

Don't let this happen to you!

Quote Originally Posted by IAmMe
    The worst thing that Bing will do to an affiliate is give them an excuse to not try harder. Far too many affiliates spend all of their time complaining about Bing, Toolbars, Parasites, Adware, instead of building solid websites that make a ton of money.

True - less talk and more action = more money.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Quote Originally Posted by IAmMe

I disagree. I think those of us with a voice owe it to the industry to point out to merchants where they are doing things that hurt us. Do I think we should spend all of our time whining? No. But I do think we should take the opportunities that we have to educate both merchants and other affiliates about the impact of things like toolbars and leaks on merchant sites.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

It's a balance of both, IMHO.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    There is 2 questions in the OP.
    Quote Originally Posted by acpd
    If a person clicks through my site and then decided to buy that product via Bing CashBack, would that void my commission?
    Yes, that would void your commission.

Would my cookie still be valid?
    Depending on the tracking system, it will most likely override your cookie and credit the transaction to BING. Most aff platforms track the last click and if the last click is via BING, then tough luck.

However you want to slice it or dice it, BING is an affiliate but a super affiliate. The only company that came close to it is Fatwallet but they grew over time. Bing is powered by Microsoft and they have millions if a billion email addresses/customers (Hotmail/Microsoft products) so they are in a league of their own.

I just did testing using SAS links and Bing Cashback... the affiliate IS rewarded commission and a cookie from SAS , and the customer gets cashback as well. The cookies are NOT overwritten. As I suspsected the merchant pays out in both places, the affiliate wins, and consumer wins, sale is made.

The information in the post above is inaccurate.. If BING was a SAS affiliate, yes your cookie and commission would be overwritten, but since they have their own platform, the merchant pays out two commissions on one sale. In my opinion this is of no harm to affiliates.. they still get the SAS cookie and sale.. and my guess would be if this is the case for SAS it would be the case for all third party companies... different tracking codes and cookies for different platforms are just that.

TEST SALE

from BING Consumer Account:
    You earned $0.50 from your Cookie Surprises purchase on 12/2/2009:

from SAS Merchant Account:
    Important: An affiliate transaction has taken place.
    12/02/2009 12:15:12 PM is the time of transaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne
    I just did testing using SAS links and Bing Cashback... the affiliate IS rewarded commission and the customer gets cashback as well. The cookies are NOT overwritten. As I suspsected the merchant pays out in both places, the affiliate wins, and consumer wins, sale is made.

The information in the post above is inaccurate.. If BING was a SAS affiliate, yes your cookie and commission would be overwritten, but since they have their own platform, the merchant pays out two commissions on one sale. In my opinion this is of no harm to affiliates.. they still get the SAS cookie and sale.. and my guess would be if this is the case for SAS it would be the case for all third party companies... different tracking codes and cookies for different platforms are just that.
    That is terrific news! And exactly the kind of education I was talking about. I need to learn how to do that stuff, too.

Quote Originally Posted by helpingmoms
    That is terrific news! And exactly the kind of education I was talking about. I need to learn how to do that stuff, too.
    I have learned over the years that much can get posted on and not researched on abw... for ten bucks worth of test purchasing, we all know now, lol.

A word of caution here.... While SAS links etc may be protected, you need to be cognoscente of in house programs. In my storefront, for example, I could code BING clicks to go through my affiliate platform at 0% commission. I don't have an affiliate program, so it's a moot point, but don't assume that because SAS links are safe that ALL affiliate links are safe.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    A word of caution here.... While SAS links etc may be protected, you need to be cognoscente of in house programs. In my storefront, for example, I could code BING clicks to go through my affiliate platform at 0% commission. I don't have an affiliate program, so it's a moot point, but don't assume that because SAS links are safe that ALL affiliate links are safe.
    If folks decide to run 'in house' programs, I suppose they need to do their homework and make sure the program is fairly reputable, and actually pays out commissions on a regular basis... I find it too cumbersome to deal with myself, so I only run a select few that have a proven payment track record.

ABW Ambassador
    Some merchant do void one of the transactions (on the pretense of duplicate order or repeat order or something like that) if a transaction is tracked in multiple platforms.

I have seen this happening with merchants working on more than one network or network/indy etc. Some split the commissions and some void one and keep the other.

Some honor both (like Anne)!

I doubt it has anything to do with SaS links being protected.

More likely that merchant simply didn't put any policy in place to avoid paying double commissions. This goes back to the whole channel mapping policy that was discussed at length earlier in the year.
    [FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=Navy]Jonathan Claydon | [email]jclaydon@real.com[/email][/COLOR] |[COLOR=Gray] Director - Affiliate and Partner Marketing[/COLOR] |[/B] [COLOR=Blue]Real[/COLOR]Networks, Inc.[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by jclaydon
    I doubt it has anything to do with SaS links being protected.

More likely that merchant simply didn't put any policy in place to avoid paying double commissions. This goes back to the whole channel mapping policy that was discussed at length earlier in the year.
    Yes. We certainly did discuss that at length
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I moved this out of the CJ forum and into the Search Engine forum which seems more appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne
    I just did testing using SAS links and Bing Cashback... the affiliate IS rewarded commission and a cookie from SAS , and the customer gets cashback as well. The cookies are NOT overwritten. As I suspsected the merchant pays out in both places, the affiliate wins, and consumer wins, sale is made.

TEST SALE

from BING Consumer Account:
    You earned $0.50 from your Cookie Surprises purchase on 12/2/2009:

from SAS Merchant Account:
    Important: An affiliate transaction has taken place.
    12/02/2009 12:15:12 PM is the time of transaction.
    Hi Anne,

Thank you very much for posting your result. Sounds like it does work in your case. From what I understand this not a sure thing.

Can someone just ask Bing? I am too little to have any connections, I hoping one of you do.

If this depends on merchants to merchants, It is still affiliate killer. My own family and friends wants to use bing. They still use my links but again if they use Bing to get money back and if Bing gets the credit (even if in only few cases) I am thinking this is the beginning of the end of affiliates.

ABW Ambassador
    It depends on merchants and their terms. Most merchants choose to pay commissions once and not multiple times.

Bing is like any loyalty site out there. Deal with it and move on with your stuff!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast