Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Smile Datafeed plugin for wordpress
    Hi Guys,
    Thanks for the nice forums for all affiliates at the first place.
    I too started looking into affiliate marketing quite a while back and being too lazy to properly setup a website I could not setup a proper website.
    The only thing I'm good at is coding, and since all the plugin's and datafeed loading scripts I found (Especially for wordpress) were paid ones I thought of coding one for myself and learnt php in the process.

Please find my script available at Datafeedplug.in .

Sorry this is not an affiliate link, its just a request to check out the plugin I coded, and also the scrap demo website is at wearlike.com.

Regards
    Shreedhar

http and a telephoto
    Tested this and it loaded the feed, but without any affiliate links. There needs to be a way to select what to upload and what category to put it in, and even apply filters like for a pet items feed, bring in just the items for the cats.

I think you are trying, but it isn't going to be usable without the actual affiliate links of course, and some additional controls.

The links may be missing because of the Thesis theme on the site I tested the import on, the product image went into a spot where it wasn't expected to go, but it is on the post page at least.

Also needed is a "drip" feature. Some people might want to add 1000 or more product pages at once, but others might want to schedule 10-20 per day over the course of time.

Just some thoughts and impressions, I realize this is a free product but if it doesn't work, free doesn't matter much. I will go try it on a site with a different theme and see if I get different results.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Hi Loxly,

Thanks for evaluating the plugin.

Actually the fields for product contents are as below

1. Image - image
    2. Thumbnail- thumbnail
    3. Affiliate Link - link
    4. Product ID - affiliate_productID
    5. Price - price

If you can visit wearlike.com where i just modified the centric theme for a change, you can see that the affiliate links are available on the page.

I Accept that I was not able to create a schedule drip feature to the plugin , main reason is I am new to php core development and wordpress plugin development and this is my first plugin too.

Looks okay! You can add the FTP function to the plugin too.

Ability to pull the feeds directly from wordpress backend.

http and a telephoto
    Sorry but my point is that the posts created didn't include the affiliate link. I tried testing it on another site and it didn't work at all there, so might try again tomorrow. For now, it isn't working for me. I like my theme and if that is the problem then I won't be able to use, nor can I recommend it to my affiliates that also use the thesis theme.

Hopefully it will work for other folks.
    Deborah Carney

Since the max execution time in php is set to 30sec or so, pulling the feed from ftp and also inserting thousands of records will fail the purpose.

Planning to write something more to add file support for Buy.At,POR,Affut and CJ ,but not getting enough time.

http and a telephoto
    I am getting an SQL error, not a timeout error on the site that won't load at all. Average size feeds. I'm experienced enough to know that the ecampus feed won't work with something like this

The site with the thesis theme isn't throwing an error, there just isn't a link to the product at all. Re-editing 1000+ posts to put it back in place pretty much defeats the purpose.

What would be extremely helpful is a way to delete all posts associated with a specific import if it doesn't go as planned. I had to delete 1000 posts 25 at a time... not something I want to repeat. When I zipped up and edited feed with only a few items, it wouldn't import at all, giving me the sql error.

(ecampus is the biggest Shareasale datafeed)
    Deborah Carney

http and a telephoto
    Another point, I would make the feed for Shareasale work better before trying it with the other networks. The way the import works right now, there is not much use for it beyond making sites that are pretty much a version of a spammy datafeed site.

In my last post I also forgot to add that even allowing posts to be imported into draft mode and not immediately published would be extremely useful. The feed I did import had many duplicate items and items with out product names. If the feed can't be cleaned up ahead of time (as I tried to do) and imported, then the ability to edit and delete posts before they are live on the site is a must.

I hope you are taking my notes in the spirit they are intended, which is to be helpful to you to improve your script and make it something that is more useful to everyone.
    Deborah Carney

Its really nice to see such an insight into my work.
    And loxly I really appreciate your effort to use my plugin right ahead and providing feedback.Re-editing 1000 is really cumbersome and that too if there are duplicates its a nightmare.

I would look into those issues you pointed out.

Thesis theme, how to use it for affiliate site, any ready made ones available?
    What I did was to create a wordpress site, load my plug-in and datafeed file and modify the theme that's it.Is that what I did then a spammy datafeed site then?.
    Any advice for me to go in right direction?

ABW Ambassador
    The site has two plugins. SpeedFeedr and SharePress. Which plugin is the one that's being discussed here. I wd like to test it.

ABW Ambassador
    I just went to your demo site. I cannot see any affiliate links. The big
    images on the single post page is covering up your description of the product and
    your buy link. I am using internet explorer 7.
    It is displaying correctly on Firefox but you will want to check it on IE7.

I saw aff links - the buy now link on the individual product pages, they are cloaked.

Edited to add: Appearance is fine with Chrome.
    I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Bud Lite than Kay.

Sorry PPl,
    I never tested the pages with IE,since I always use Firefox.
    Affiliate links are cloaked with a custom script.
    Thanks for pointing out that, I actually could not believe myself when I checked it with even IE6. The images are going way down somewhere. Well its mainly due to my editing of theme php files, as far as plugin is concerned let us declare its BETA.

One can either use sharepress or speedfeedr, but speedfeedr is better I say.

http and a telephoto
    The Thesis theme is a premium wordpress theme that has many benefits, so if this plugin doesn't work for it, then myself and many others can't use it, plus it may mean there are issues with other themes as well.

Overall I like the concept, it is great that it is free and hopefully you can work on some of the issues that will make it even better
    Deborah Carney

I experimented with it using a self made WP theme I created with Artisteer and the affiliate links were missing with it as well. I agree with Deb, it's going to have to work on all themes.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Thanks Ron
    Well Actually this plugin readily supports all shopperpress themes right now since the themes from shopperpress use meta values to store the additional contents like image,link,thumbnail etc.

I think I should construct the post content with all additional contents to make it work readily with all themes.

Quote Originally Posted by 7-days
    I experimented with it using a self made WP theme I created with Artisteer and the affiliate links were missing with it as well. I agree with Deb, it's going to have to work on all themes.

As suzie250 mentioned the affiliate links are cloaked. On clicking the BUY NOW button on the enlarged item page you will be able to see the afilliate link for a second or two before the product page opens.
    - Sunil

[SIZE=1]The impossibility of today is a hint of what shall be...[/SIZE]

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by suniliu
    As suzie250 mentioned the affiliate links are cloaked. On clicking the BUY NOW button on the enlarged item page you will be able to see the afilliate link for a second or two before the product page opens.
    We are pointing out that isn't happening with some themes. There is *no* buy link at all. I realize on the demo site they are cloaked. Also with Thesis the image went to the media box and not to the post. So he is using custom fields for the data to go to that are being rendered incorrectly in some themes because those themes also use (or don't use) the custom fields.
    Deborah Carney

Yes, in my case I was clicking on the title of the post, which is the product name, which appears to be a cloaked link. Unfortunately, the link does not go anywhere. The link appears to be the link to the page at my experimental site.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Also, no images appeared in my test site.

Great plug-in concept, quick and easy to use. Looking forward to seeing the final version. This is one of the easiest datafeed plug-ins I've seen. But as Deb implied, it needs some more options, like a drip feature. Once you get some of these bugs worked out you might ask affiliates what options they would like to see.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Hi Deb/Ron/Sunil,

I happened to change some parts of the plugin to add the thumbnail image to the post itself and also the affiliate link too, now you can check the demo on my other website.
    I don't know what the thesis theme uses for Image fields and affiliate links.As far as the themes are concerned hundred themes use hundred ways to show the images and post contents. Better if anybody let me know what majority users use then I can customize it.

http and a telephoto
    If you make the custom fields have totally unique names that would help, like data-image instead of image and buy-url instead of url might help. The problem is that most of the themes use standard names and your items go to the wrong places. Having the fields all go into the post instead of separate fields might also be the fix. Is the download updated from the other night? If it is I will try to test it in the next day or so.
    Deborah Carney

I Think I'm slowly learning what is an affiliate site now and how its behaviour should be now.Well thanks RON for pointing me out.May be I was trying to build a blog with the datafeed instead of a affiliate site.

You can build a blog with a datafeed as an affiliate site. You just need to find out and fix the cloaked link so that it still goes to the merchants site and works with many different themes.
    I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Bud Lite than Kay.

ABW Ambassador
    Your site wearlike.com is displaying correctly in IE7 now. Haven't tried your plugin
    yet so can't really comment on that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast