Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    <-----Begin Disclaimer ------>

Proceed reading at your own risk!

<--------End Disclaimer---------->

If you are a merchant who does not allow n-case/180 in your programs, then you better start taking a look at your partners again and sniffing them out!

I installed their "new and improved" more friendly application (that supposedly will be replacing n-case) that is the launch of 180's "Year of the Consumer" which will only "deliver 2-3 ads per day" and will be "easier for the end user to uninstall."

With only futzing around with Zango (taking a cursory look at it) this is what I've seen so far, Zango = n-case with the following differences:

1. The exe file is called zango.exe instead of msbb.exe

2. All other files associated with Zango are HIDDEN!! Yes, you heard me...they are hidden. You can't see them. Even using Windows built in feature to show hidden files they don't show. You go to the Zango Folder and all you see is the exe file (approx 300kb) and an "empty" folder. Although there is really over 3MB of files there.

Well, since I'm persistent and just plain nosy when someone is obviously trying to hide something, with a bit of extra work (and thanks to an ABW'er who gave me this hint), I was able to at least find out the file names there.

Wonders above wonders.........they are all same basic files that are installed with n-case! Imagine that!!!!

I've tried every which way but loose to actually be able to get to those files (not just seeing their existence) to no avail.

3. Running Spybot detects an n-case registry entry, but not all the other entries for Spybot when it detects n-case. There was no detection of any specific files for Zango (I don't know..maybe they are hidden from Spybot or Spybot just hasn't gotten this in their definitions yet).

Having Spybot "fix" the one entry it did find DID NOT stop Zango from delivering it's pop ups!!!! I will repeat, at least spybot does not clean this program from the end user's computer. Moreover, if I browsed and received a pop up from Zango after having spybot remove the n-case registry entry, that entry just came back on a subsequent scan. I've removed it 3 times and had it come back 3 times.

4. Zango is now a "Search Assistant" vs a "shopping comparison" like n-case. ::cough cough:: Which leads to the 4th difference. There is now a short cut installed on the desk top, which in reality isn't a short cut to the Zango.exe, but an Internet shortcut to http://app.zango.com And this is what the screenshot is of on the Zango site when enticing you to download. Yet I have yet to see that activate except if I click on the desktop icon.

What is the same with Zango and n-case:

1. Bombardment of pop ups. I got around 6 pop ups in 15 minutes. Not exactly the 2 to 3 a day they are saying. Yeah, yeah, yeah I didn't believe it when I heard it.

2. Automatic setting of affiliate cookies through the pop ups

3. Overwriting of affiliate cookies through the pop up.

4. Does not respect an straight affiliate coded link. That is, it will pop up on say a LS link and overwrite the cookie

5. Does not respect a link coded with afscr=1 code. That is it may pop up on that type of link also overwriting the originating affiliate's cookie

6. Will pop up on the google return for a merchant's trademarked name setting an affiliate cookie for that merchant. For example...WU. Info coming to you privately Chris.

It's looking like the aff ID's may be different here. It could be other affs advertising through them..not certain. But merchants need to keep an eye out.

So here we have 180's new and improved more consumer conscience adware program they are putting out there in order to keep the Internet free.

I'm not even bothering with the Networks anymore. I've already started drafting my 'comments' to the FTC for the spyware/adware conference on April 19th. This will actually help in my draft to the FTC. I encourage everyone who cares about protecting their revenue (affiliates and merchants) submit comments to the FTC for these hearings also. I hope to have mine finished by the end of this week. Anyone interested in seeing it, email or pm me and I will provide a copy privately. I don't want it "out there" publicly prior to the 19th.

ABW Ambassador
    >spyware/adware conference on April 19th

WHERE

and send me a copy, please

ABW Ambassador
    Welcome Back Ms. B. What a pleasure to see you back here

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Excellent work, Ms. B. !!!

Thanks!

great job Miss B!

Thank you!

What COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commission
    Don't worry tracking is Infected

Live life to the fullest, You only get 1 chance. Enjoy it while you can... Nothing last forever!

Ms. B, I'm sure you'll forward your findings to the reporter who covered 180's recent cash windfall as well...

n-case/180

Andy

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Think it would help if we set up an electronic "sign up" list to sign on to your comments? We could probably get hundreds if not more people to add their name as sort of a petition.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    Great Job!

All the FTC info can be found here:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/workshops/spyware/index.htm

Agenda, comments already sumbitted, link to submit your own, etc. The voices need to speak out loud and clearly in quantity to the FTC on this one. If the opportunity passes us (the community as a whole) by without people standing up and voiceing their opinions and concerns, then we all might as well just hand our money over directly to these guys.

@cheesehead...Folks need to do their comments through the proper FTC channels so they get recorded. It's not really a petition thing for FTC hearings. What you are suggesting would be more appropriate for contacting legislatures in pushing for changes in the law. Or more correctly formation of law to cover this area. But something along those lines is coming.

ABW Ambassador
    Ms. B,

Thanks for your efforts into researching this and other scumware. To have the 180 Scumware King ride his Segway into federal prison is a dream that could become a reality with an act of Congress and realistic rulings by the courts.

I wish I had your tenacity to investigate scumware, new and old. If there is anything I can do to help make your findings known to all members of Congress, the FTC, the press and public, please PM me and I will do whatever it takes, starting immediately. My time is yours.

This is a hard enough business to succeed in without the crooks being aided & abetted by networks that coddle these bastards by declaring them "in compliance." No hope will be found there. CJ basically declared moral bankruptcy in recent posts here about WhenU & 1-800. Our hope is in having laws passed to declare parasites to be what they are, crooks and thieves and the networks that promote them, scumware pimps. Jail-time for all of them is a worthy goal. CJ & other networks need to be called to testify before Congress to demonstrate their inability to self-regulate this industry and account for their contribution to the problem.

Whatever I can do to help, please let me know. I promise to be succinct, grammatically correct and polite in any official correspondence. (Unlike here where I spit upon 180, WhenU & their CJ pimps, may they rot in Hell! )

Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    Does anyone have a list of merchants using this?

Me to. I would like to see what merchants are using this

Hi Ms. B you are one hell of a wonderful woman I'm so glad you are back here, it is good to be able to read about how we are being scammed and who by. In fact I am just about to PM backcountrystore.com my sales have gone to pot and I'm pretty sure it is not on the level
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> In fact I am just about to PM backcountrystore.com my sales have gone to pot and I'm pretty sure it is not on the level
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gordon don't worry!

It has nothing to do with "Auto Cookie stuff!"

What COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commission
    Don't worry tracking is Infected

Live life to the fullest, You only get 1 chance. Enjoy it while you can... Nothing last forever!

ABW Ambassador
    As always Ms B is the super sleuth uncovering the dark issues that most would never be aware of without her input - Thanks for coming back and for sharing your info with us!

I will start drafting my own comments and will add my thoughts on the scumbags who are openly allowed to pillage our earnings, undermine our contracts and annoy consumers to no ends.

One thought that does enter my mind is the potential for documenting "real hijacking of actual transactions" (even though it's technically impossible). If you need some funds for making actual purchases showing actual thefts, I'll certainly contribute to the cause.

Let me know if I can help in any other way as well.

Happy Hunting!

ABW Ambassador
    BLFH, welcome back!

Great work

Gordon
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> In fact I am just about to PM backcountrystore.com my sales have gone to pot <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Mine too. Is backcountrystore affected? Does Bryan know about this?

ABW Ambassador
    Some interesting preliminary submissions to the FTC.

The General Counsel of ValueClick crying about their 'Adware' trademark being maligned by its use as a synonym for spyware.

The Distributing Computing Industry Association opposing Spyware but supporting "Adware." Part of their definition that differentiates it from spyware is that is is "software installed with consent."

A Harvard PHD consultant who served as an expert witness in cases agains WhenU & Gator.

The author of Internet for Dummies, who makes little distinction between adware & spyware.

The President of The Business Software Alliance who wants to ban "behaviour, not technology.("We don't ban crowbars because some people use them to break into houses.")

But mostly ordinary victims of spyware, all mad as Hell.

Wayne

Mrs B - good work!!! My letter has been sent.

Please everyone, be sure to write. Even if it is only how it effects you personally!

((Mrs B))) good to have you back posting!!
    Ebudae

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> documenting "real hijacking of actual transactions" (even though it's technically impossible ~poonster <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very well put. That part of the article made me dry retch.

ABW Ambassador
    Lots of good info can be gathered from 1800Contacts.com victory

http://www.cuttingedgereport.com/cas...0_v_WhenU.html

"There have been approximately 100 million downloads of the SaveNow program. (Tr. at 166.) The SaveNow software can be uninstalled from a user's computer, and Mr. Naider testified that approximately 75 million people have uninstalled the program. (Tr. at 70-71.)"

"From the survey, Mr. Neal concluded that 76% of survey respondents who had SaveNow software on their computer did not know that SaveNow software generates pop-up advertisements on their computer screens when they visited certain websites"

Overall people don't know how this stuff got on their compouter and they don't like it.

Sent my letter.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Thanks B I'll get your PM, test record, contact WU and then I think WU will decide enough is enough. Great stuff.... maybe John needs do another article!

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    HERE IS MY LETTER - Send yours today!

Adware and spyware applications that overwrite affiliate ad ID's (cookies) amount
    to a violation of copyright and also outright theft. The adware and spyware
    companies claim that they should be allowed to continue this violation and theft in
    order to protect the computer users "freedom" to download whatever they wish on
    to their own computer, provided they have a way to remove the software if they
    wish. Here is a low-tech analogy:

I run an "Adware" company that offers consumer a free item of a $20 value (perhaps
    a gift certificate to a merchant of their choice). All I ask from the consumer is that
    they agree to have my "special" newspaper substituted for their regular newspaper.
    Each morning a special paper boy or girl will swing by their home, and do the switch,
    thus eliminating any special effort on the part of the consumer. This "special" paper
    contains exactly the same articles and even the ads look identical, yet a very minor
    adjustment in each ad directs the income from that ad away from the newspaper
    publisher an to me, the Adware company. The consumer willingly agreed to this
    arrangement and was even happy to obtain the free gift, and if desired, the consumer
    can switch back to the old newspaper, but why bother?

So how is this low-tech analogy any different from the high-tech analogy that is
    stealing money from internet publishers that spend many hours developing content,
    and spend money in hosting fees, pay-per-click advertising, and search-engine
    marketing?

Adware applications that steal affiliate commissions are theft, they are a violation of
    copyright, and need to cease immediately!
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

WOW! (Ms. B)

It’s nice to see everyone gathering together on this, I hope as a group we can stop them in their tracks before they can infect others.

Nice letter CheeseHead

WTG to the folks who have sent their comments in.

@Wayne and Poon. Thanks for the offer. I'm not one to turn away assistance. I'm sure I'll be contacting you.

Regarding BCS. I know how they feel about this stuff. I'm keepking an eye out. If I see anything, whether ncase/zango or anyone else I let them know. My past experience is that that take quick action.

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed at the lack of response from merchants, considering the subject of the topic. Hopefully they have at least read and are taking action and just not posting.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast