Are no follow link worth less..?
    I am little confused here.Google says it does not pass any value to no follow links but I have too many no follow links and my website still getting good rank.So what is truth..?

Do you have only no follow links, or do you have a mix?

Long term, I would suspect that having a natural mix would be best. It should be pretty obvious to Google that a site with only regular links or only nofollow links is trying to game the system. They may not check that now, but if I were them, that's one of many things I would check.

I've heard at least one SEO expert say that nofollow links do still pass rank.

If you wanted to test it, you could create three separate sites that don't have any existing links, then get 10 regular links to one, 10 nofollow links to one, and 5 of each to the third, give it some time and then see how all three rank.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Not 100% positive that they pass rank, but they definitely get indexed.... And Google definitely follows them

Internal No follow links are usually used for siloing or Page Rank sculpting. Which is a practice I'm not a huge fan of. But people do it.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

My experience is that you require some sort of mix. If you think about it, a natural looking link portfolio would have some of both as well as different types of links.

I did use no follow to redistribute page rank. It works because pages with do follow rank high while pages without no follow did not get its PR and is ok since these are just sign up, contact us, about us etc

It is my understanding that this is no longer true, i.e. that google now spreads link juice over all links on a page, and not just the do follow links. The no-follow links just don't inherit the juice, but the do follows don't get the no-follows share anymore.

Correct me if I'm wrong??

If you are using sitemap, that is one way you can redistribute link juice in your site. That make some page to have low PR while other have good PR. Same logic with Do and no follow. You can redirect the link flow of your site

It should be pretty obvious to Google that a site with only regular links ..... links is trying to game the system.
    May or may not be the case, but it would not be sensible to judge a site as "trying to game the system" if they only have natural links. In the most honest and upright scenario, that is all a site would have.... "links worthy of putting here".
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

I'm just saying that naturally, you're going to have a bigger variety of links. Some will be no-follow. Some will have anchor text of "link" or "click here". Some will be from low-PR sites. Some will be to internal pages. People who are gaming the system will follow different patterns and will likely have much less variation.

Google may not currently check all of those types of things, but they certainly have the ability to. I think I recall reading that they had patents on checking those types of things to calculate PageRank, as well. I don't know (or care) if they're currently checking it, but I would be surprised if they didn't at some point.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I think nofollow links are still worth it if for nothing else the traffic it can bring. A good nofollow link can bring in some good referral traffic.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Man,

I have some opinions about no_follows.

What a pain in the butt it was when Google God - Matt Cutts - said on his blog 2 or 3 years ago that to eliminate the paid link crap and to increase PR would require sites to use the no_follow to prove they weren't being deceptive...

I didn't have any paid links, but needed to show the love to sites that had been with me since the beginning.

I didn't budge and Goog penalized my PR from 6 to 4...

Bummer!

Don't care what anyone says....

I like my Goog PR ranking.....

If Goog says you are relevant ( w/ their 65% search market ) YOU ARE RELEVANT!

Just got a PR5 back a couple weeks ago on my SR site and am enjoying a nice increase in unique traffic.

I don't think that no_follow is as important as it used to be...

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Why nofollow?
    A link is important or not, so why putting nofollow? If link is harmful than do not publish or if it beneficial then why it in nofollow attribute?

Quote Originally Posted by erosraino
    A link is important or not, so why putting nofollow? If link is harmful than do not publish or if it beneficial then why it in nofollow attribute?
    I'm no expert on SEO and nofollow but let me take a shot. I was told the following with affiliate marketing and nofollow links. Google doesn't like websites that do no have 'nofollow' on their affiliate links. If a bunch of affiliates are linking to the same website and google is following it, google thinks that page is more important than it really is. Not sure if this is true or accurate but thought i would share.

ABW Ambassador
    Never used it on my sites. It was started by Google/Blogger to first combat spam. People have used it to sculpt Page Rank but:

"On June 15 2009, Matt Cutts, a well known software engineer of Google, announced that Google Bot will no longer treat nofollowed links in the same way, in order to prevent SEOs from using nofollow for PageRank Sculpting. As a result of this change the usage of nofollow leads to evaporation of pagerank."

As a result of this change the usage of nofollow leads to evaporation of pagerank."
    I agree that nofollow is treated different by Google now but I think that this is not an accurate quote. I can't find the word "evaporation" in Cutt's June 15, 2009 post. He says that he uses nofollow at times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutts June 15, 2009
    The only place I deliberately add a nofollow is on the link to my feed, because itís not super-helpful to have RSS/Atom feeds in web search results.
    I counted 6 uses of nofollow on the first page of his blog.

I agree it has no use for page sculpting any more, but disagree that it will take away page rank when used properly. It still has uses.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Following Mat Cutts too closely has caused many SEO " Insiders " close up shop and move on to something else.

SEO is a different monster these days and Google doesn't let anyone in on the " details ".

WERD!

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Nofollow links don't influence your rank directly, but they help to improve your traffic and traffic is one of the reasons of your top position.

What I know is this, the moment I stopped caring or even looking to see what kind of link I was getting, my traffic increased and so did my ranks shortly thereafter.

Link Building Is not Everything
    Link building is important but it should not be your #1 focus in my humble opinion. If you put emphasis on creating unique content, the people and the search engines will find out, "build it and they will come".
    The #1 job of Google after all isn't serving up highly linked sites but delivering quality content to the people.Linking shows relevance and link popularity which is one piece in the puzzle.
    Focus on content and the rest will fall into place...

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread