Breaking News: Did We Miss The Boat?
    The latest news on the online holiday sales adventure:

Approximately 16% of all the online sales traffic went to AMAZON.

Approximately 10% of all the online sales traffic went to WALMART.

Target was number 3 ... Ebay was not even on the list, I saw, but
    I scanned it quick so I might have missed it.

So all the rest of the merchants in the world had to divy up the 74% or so other traffic ...

Seems to me, it's dumb to spend PPC money on any other merchant, just buy run of network cheapo stuff and send it direct to Walmart or Amazon. (if you are an affiliate.)

The idea that seems to be emerging is people will buy from places they know and sort of trust to not rip them off as opposed to individual stuff.

Also, I heard the MSN shopping page ... the design is banging out big time conversions. You might want to take a look.

So we should abandon the 74%? That doesn't sound like a good plan.

I would be more than happy to get 0.1%.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    DTM to Amazon and Walmart is sooooo 5 years ago.

Plus only one ad can show for each domain. If any affilaite or Amawalmart are running that keyword your ad wont show very often if ever.

Online Marketing Consultant
    Where was the Article?

Is that US traffic? World Traffic? etc...

Yes people trust the larger brands but many people do not have money anymore and need to shop at the places with lower and the lowest prices so that also plays a huge factor. Also, Amazon gets a huge chunk of the Google Shopping results traffic from GoogleBase which plays into it big time.

Interesting find though, can you post a link to the article?
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

It was on MSN News ...it was USA data ... Of course you should not disregard 74% of the traffic, just take advantage what people are taking advantage of ... in my case I have all sorts of places to look at ... but the people who view my pages are clicking on Walmart links 10 to 1. Kind of stupid to pay $.30 a click when you can get the same traffic for a penny. And get 30 times the traffic and even if the click thrus to Walmart were less, the total number for the same cost would be greater.

The object is to make a profit not be right, politically correct or whatever.

From a UK p.o.v. I think Amazon have really got their act together - their site, the marketing and execution are all strong and they are becoming the trusted natural choice for a great many product categories. Remarkable really when you consider the number of competitors and lack of barriers to entry. They'll top 16% in the UK this yuletide for sure.

You can no longer direct link to Amazon via PPC

ABW Ambassador
    What percent of 26% sales are from Affiliates?

I think these big BRANDS have very little percent of their sales coming from affiliate channel vs. the other 74%!.

Also, the big merchants tend to offer lower commissions, typically.

I would prefer betting on 74% than these outsized 26% garnered by the big 3 or 4. Most of that 26% may be happening without affiliates (leave BING or Google base etc.)

Here are the stats from just Black Friday, (not the weekend or Cyber Monday data)

Amazon got 13.55 percent of U.S. visits among the top 500, up 22 percent from 11.06 percent on Black Friday a year ago and up 9 percent from Thanksgiving Day this year. This is the second year in a row that Amazon was the top site on Black Friday. That means that the typical pattern is holding up, as Walmart.com has been the No. 1 site on Thanksgiving Day for the past five years.
    full story: http://venturebeat.com/2009/11/29/am...VentureBeat%29

http://forum.abestweb.com/attachment...achmentid=3759
    Attached Images Attached Images

ABW Ambassador
    People like to shop at big brands/brands they trust and know. And this:

Approximately 16% of all the online sales traffic went to AMAZON.
    Approximately 10% of all the online sales traffic went to WALMART.

Fits the pattern I see every BF/CM. Had a ton of CM traffic with more than a few hundred merchants with Cyber Monday deals and Amazon came in a #1 and Walmart was at #2

"Also, the big merchants tend to offer lower commissions, typically."

8.5% is pretty good which I hit this year. If you're not pushing Amazon, especially during the holidays, you're missing out, conversion machine.

Well, I did not have any DTM to Walmart links up, but now I do. No sense putting a roadblock between where people want to go and buy stuff and maybe miss the boat.

It's not the world's best commission, but hey it's better than NO COMMISSION.

ABW Ambassador
    Reversed commissions aren't that great either but you understand the risk when you violate the merchant's rules.

Speaking of #4 on the list, Best Buy is pretty strong as well even tho they don't have the best commissions. Today had another nice batch upload, sales still coming in for BF/CM. I was looking at Amazon vs. Walmart basically had the same amount of clicks but with Amazon, I'm getting 10x Walmart.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread