Hi - I have read posts on avoiding link farms but I am still a little confused. I have exchanged links with this site

http://www.url.biz

I thought it was a directory so it would be ok - but now I'm not too sure - is this a link farm - have I screwed up?

I don't completely understand the difference between a link farm and a directory.

Thanks Val
    Valerie
    <a target="_blank" style="color: #22229C" href="http://www.thexsiteproexperiment.html">
    XSitePro - it has never been easier to create and manage money making sites</a>

Val,
    I'm sure there will be better answers coming but if you are weary of a link, just don't link back. Most folks will check for their link on your site and if they don't find it they will typically remove yours.

And if they don't, I don't think there is much harm. We can't control who links to us so there shouldn't be a penalty for getting links in from unethical (crappy) sites. maybe....

I supposed to take a Dallas Cowboy Fan seriously?
    Valerie
    <a target="_blank" style="color: #22229C" href="http://www.thexsiteproexperiment.html">

Just Lurking
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by valerie5794:
    I supposed to take a Dallas Cowboy Fan seriously? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That's just so cold!!

But the cowboy fan is essentially correct. You can't prevent people linking to you, but you can deside who you link to.
    Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!

ABW Ambassador
    That urlbiz site is kind of deceptive. I personally wouldn't link back to it, but thats me.

At first glance, it looks like a nice directory to get listed in and get some PR to your site. Unfortunately, all the links out to sites are in javascript - and open in a tiny new window too boot.

Thus, getting listed at this site isn't going to give you any PR - and I highly doubt much in the way of traffic, either, since few people use these types of directories in my experience.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Val they look like a valid linking directory with page rank and no spammy practices.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Thanks all

Jim - how do I see the javascript? When I do a mouseover all I see is my link I wanted to use.

Val
    Valerie

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by valerie5794:
    Thanks all

Jim - how do I see the javascript? When I do a mouseover all I see is my link I wanted to use.

Val <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the trick! They are not passing PR. Modified onlick and mouseover events are deceiving you. Check the code

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    onmouseover="window.status='http://finition-de-meubles.com/finishing_supplies/';return true;" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try one more thing. Right click on the link, then select copy shortcut from the IE menu. That is suppose to copy the shortcut, right. See what it does.

I do not know whether it is safe to say it is not spammy. But it is definitely a deceptive practice as Jim said.

Oh ok- because I can't copy the shortcut - that's an indication that there is something funny going on. So in the furure, when I am looking for link partners doing a mouse over of other links is not good enough. I need to look at the code. That is so sneaky - people can be real jerks.

This company says that if you give them articles it will help get your listing to the top of the page - ie: whoever gives the most content gets top billing. Genious - pure genious - and here I am trying to figure out how to get all of my content written - and they have it all figured out.

Man I hate learning curves. I feel like such a dope. But thanks to everyone who is so willing to help those of us who need it. I mean it would be very easy for you to go on making your $$ an not give a rats patooty about wether or not I suceed.

THanks Again

Val
    "still too lame at this"
    Valerie

ABW Ambassador
    From looking at just a few pages on this
    linking site, it looks like most of their links
    are Searchfeed links.

It does get a reasonable traffic rank at Alexa (see here) so that indicates that there might be real traffic coming from that site (I said *might* - please don't let this turn into another long argument about Alexa).

The categories are taken from the Open Directory - Recreation/Whips is a dead giveaway, but the actual listings themselves are mostly spam or affiliate links.. really low quality stuff.

It's basically is cross between an affiliate link farm and a Toplist, I think. Given that it doesn't have any PageRank to give, I'd frankly not bother with it at present.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I put in a test link and an article to see if the underside of this one is a e-mail spammer. Your correct about the non-exchange of PR with the mouseover click. I therefore placed their recprocal link button on one of my EcomCity pages as I could care less about that PR5 page. I'll submit the static listing page to the SE's and see if that won't drain them of a backlink.

They do have a admin area and nice listing page with photo/graphics and 500+ words of text for your promo. I'll post the results if they send any traffic.

click http://www.url.biz and search for "suspenders" ....
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread