I Think Bing Searches are Artificially Inflated - Here's Why
    A little background.... I have just about every browser in the world installed on my little laptop. And I have each of those home pages set to the different search engines.

In Firefox, I use MSN as the homepage.

When I open Firefox, and click in the URL bar to start typing where I want to go, usually about half way through the address it re-focuses by cursor into the Bing search box. So I've ended up searching for the back half of a URL about 60 times in the past 30 days.

Multiply that by millions of possible users, and that's a lot of worthless accidental searches.

Anyone else seeing the same behavior?
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

I think that happens with Yahoo as well. I've had several times where I meant to type in a URL but end up getting search results.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I was just about to say that about Yahoo too Michael...so it must be a firefox thing....very annoying.

Sheri

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, it's annoying. I have MSN as my homepage on Firefox as well and get that if I start typing a url in the address bar or if I starting typing a search in the Google box to the right of the address bar. Depends on your setup. But I don't see that happening if you let the MSN page load fully but I'm usually typing something before that happens and I see what I'm typing start one place and go to the Bing search box.

Hmmm. So a FireFox thing.... I'll have to do some experimenting...
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

It's the same in IE. That's what I use.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

possibly the browser is setting focus to the search field automatically? very annoying. when it happens with Yahoo, superCool has to close the browser to get free from the search box. thought it was a virus of some kind at first

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    It's the same in IE. That's what I use.
    I don't type into my address bar often...

I've got a goog toolbar that I type my crud into and keep my address drop down filled with my most important sites...

Everyone knows if they use one of my computers, to NEVER type in the address bar. -

Others, like ABW, AdSense and My Affiliate Connections, I keep in my favorites bar.

Not foolish enough to use FireFox - lol

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    I notice it happening sometimes but always assumed I had hit Tab accidentally and it sent me to the search field instead. Frustrating, but a result of my own quick typing.
    Trisha Lyn Fawver

@TrishaLyn | My Managed Merchants

Outsourced Program Manager AdZaz's Avatar
    I see it to, here is one that bothers me even more: when browsing from home, Optimum Online (my home cable/internet provider), actually redirects all 404 pages to their own Google Adsense page, even if the site in question has a helpful custom 404 page that might actually help me find what I am looking for...
    Greg Netland - Outsourced Program Manager
    @: info [at] AdZaz [dot] com

Hot New Program JOIN TODAY!
    [URL="http://brandbloodhound.com/affiliates.php"][IMG]http://brandbloodhound.com/images/logo_long.png[/IMG][/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by AdZaz
    I see it to, here is one that bothers me even more: when browsing from home, Optimum Online (my home cable/internet provider), actually redirects all 404 pages to their own Google Adsense page, even if the site in question has a helpful custom 404 page that might actually help me find what I am looking for...
    That crap is infuriating.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

15 years and counting
    Redirecting 404 pages is traffic stealing. This traffic belongs to the domain owner and not the ISP. I'm mad like hell at all these thieves redirecting my traffic to their own pages. The pages not found on MY sites are MINE. Too many cable/internet providers are doing it and I caught one of my hosts doing the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Yeah, it's annoying. I have MSN as my homepage on Firefox as well and get that if I start typing a url in the address bar or if I starting typing a search in the Google box to the right of the address bar. Depends on your setup. But I don't see that happening if you let the MSN page load fully but I'm usually typing something before that happens and I see what I'm typing start one place and go to the Bing search box.
    I used to have the same setup, but became so frustrated w/ it I changed my homepage to Fox news. It happened to me even when the page was fully loaded. It hyjacks your search.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AdZaz
    Comcast does the same thing.
    Trisha Lyn Fawver

@TrishaLyn | My Managed Merchants

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread