Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Official 2010 World Cup Thread

ABW Ambassador
    Will be pulling for USA and GER, don't see any Ireland.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Will be pulling for USA and GER, don't see any Ireland.
    Not a chance, don't you see ENGLAND already top Group C

ABW Ambassador
    I'm rooting for the underdog I figure England can handle them but any given Football day...... I know the Germans can usually play some soccer, I mean Football. Don't normally watch it but I like to watch major events like this and have till Summer to learn more.

So who does everybody think is going to win the whole thing?

ok, I know absolutely nothin about this. (ummm less than nothin actually ) A friend told me they'd be grouped with the US so this must be what they were talkin about, tho. Their team is the Arsenal??

So.....outa loyalty to them I'll have to cheer them on and naturally will have to for the US, too. But, then I have a friend in Germany, too so will cheer for them, too. Don't know what the name of their team is.

Goin by what Trust said ummm this is the rest of the world's version of football which to us here in the US is soccer. Correct??

Does the rest of the world play any of our version of football?? and which came first the world's version of football or the US version?

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    I'm rooting for the underdog I figure England can handle them but any given Football day...... I know the Germans can usually play some soccer, I mean Football. Don't normally watch it but I like to watch major events like this and have till Summer to learn more.

So who does everybody think is going to win the whole thing?
    Rooting for the underdog.
    How about this country
    Côte d'Ivoire

I was like HUH?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C3%B4te_d'Ivoire

I think Brasil have a good chance of being in the semi-finals

Here in Germany, most people are excited for the "easy" grouping, although my husband says Serbia shouldn't be underestimated.

Group G should be interesting, though with good games and a tough finish!

I say Holland got off the easiest...but then again, living in Germany, I am expected to say that. The Germans and the Dutch...could write a whole book about THAT brotherly love LOL

I think the Germans are up for winning, tho. AFAIR they were 4th Eurocup 2004, 3rd at the world cup 2006 and 2nd Eurocup 2008. It will be interesting!

I wish South Africa all the best with the games, too. Having lived through the last world cup in Germany, I know what a great experience it can be!

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by purplebear

Does the rest of the world play any of our version of football?? and which came first the world's version of football or the US version?
    What Americans call football is known as American football here in England.

What the USA call soccer is called football here in England, and known as association football around the world, shortened to football.

What you call soccer (I would call football) originated in England.

What you call football (I would call American football) is based on a game originated in England as well.

ABW Ambassador
    But, then I have a friend in Germany, too so will cheer for them, too. Don't know what the name of their team is.
    This is the World Cup, and the teams are national teams, so the German team are called Germany.

Julian
    Gotcha Thank you for explaining all that. Umm one more question tho umm who are the Arsenal then? I know my friend's from the UK and thought it was the name he's always talkin about. Maybe one of many like the football teams in the US (like New England Patriots) and they choose members from the teams to represent the country??

Anyway will cheer on US, UK and Germany

ABW Ambassador
    Arsenal is like a team, like Manchester United. I believe this is how it works, others in the know can correct anything I get wrong.

On those teams like Arsenal, Man U, they have players from around the world. When it comes to World Cup and let's say the England team. It will be comprised of English players from different teams.

Trust -
    Ok, gotcha I think Think you're sayin it would be similar to how our football is. Like I could substitute the Falcons as an example and then instead of the World Cup I could substitute representing us in the Olympics.

Teams like Arsenal, Manchester United, etc. are these professional teams (paid a salary) Hmm, I don't wanna keep takin this off the original subject. Simple solution is I'll ask my friend more about this. lol

ABW Ambassador
    Anyway will cheer on US, UK and Germany
    When you are refering to international football teams, you should never refer to any team from within the UK, as the 'UK'

They would be England, Scotland, Wales, or Northern Ireland. Four very serperate teams and countries when it comes to football.

I go with South Korea being from Asia and Mr.Park fan.

But really on the paper as always brazil look powerful. Most of the big teams apart from brazil and england struggled to get through and after the france saga i doubt whether really the best 32 teams are playing the world cup.

Might be a FIFA Conspiracy

Affiliate Network Rep
    As a half-Dutch, half-Japanese guy, who am I supposed to root for in the pool with The Netherlands, Japan, Denmark and Cameroon!

Granted this is probably the easiest pool for the Netherlands in recent history.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    When you are refering to international football teams, you should never refer to any team from within the UK, as the 'UK'

They would be England, Scotland, Wales, or Northern Ireland. Four very serperate teams and countries when it comes to football.
    Gotcha hmm seems like I've got friends from all of them so will have to hope they don't play each other?

Don't wanna derail this thread but umm when just speaking normally and not about sports. Do people who live in those areas prefer it said they live in that particular area or should it be the UK? (Umm, do know a bit bout Ireland so what about the other three)

Like I would normally say to somebody from a foreign country that I'm from the US and not say which state unless they ask. Would they say the UK or their specific area?

Affiliate Manager Ian H - TicketLiquidator's Avatar
    gonna be a good one I reckon. The African teams like Ivory Coast, Cameroon and Ghana will be up for it as it in their continent for the first time and they can play.

good of FIFA to gift tons of tickets to ordinary Africans, too.

Very nice gesture.
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][FONT=Arial]Ian Hough.
    Affiliate Program Manager, TicketLiquidator.com.
    Contact: [email]ianh@ticketliquidator.com[/email][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    Don't let your work go to waste. Sign up and get paid for all sales: [B]Onsales[/B], last-minute, etc.

The opening match South Africa vs Mexico will be very interesting. If RSA is able to ride its home country advantage to a win or even a tie - Group A will be a lot of fun to watch.

Go Spain!

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I was watching ESPN and I was suprised to see DIEGO MARADONA as the head coach for Argentina.
    He was an amaing player back then but his career was cut short with drugs and unstable attitude.

He grew chubby too.. really chubby

I was watching ESPN and I was suprised to see DIEGO MARADONA as the head coach for Argentina.
    He was an amaing player back then but his career was cut short with drugs and unstable attitude.
    I will be surprised if Maradona has any better luck as a coach than Gretzky did in the NHL. Its tough for players with the greatest natural talent attempt to coach and motivate players with less talent.

Côte d'Ivoire not as bad as you think
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ewe View Post
    Rooting for the underdog.
    How about this country
    Côte d'Ivoire

I was like HUH?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C3%B4te_d'Ivoire

I think Brasil have a good chance of being in the semi-finals
    Ivory Coast!
    They actually have a decent team..super fast, if I remember correctly Drogba from Chelsea plays for them. He's a stud.
    Affiliate Manager
    [URL="http://pagelines.com"]PageLines.com[/URL]
    Premium CMS WordPress Themes

Pulling for England, it's time, 44 years is a long tome to wait. Can't wait for June 12th game. England v USA. It will be fun and a good game to watch.

Cheers,

Sharon
    Sharon Page - MGECOM.COM
    Affiliate Manager

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Page View Post
    Pulling for England, it's time, 44 years is a long tome to wait. Can't wait for June 12th game. England v USA. It will be fun and a good game to watch.

Cheers,

Sharon
    Nice that you are rooting for England. So am I. The England vs USA match is one that I really wish I could be there for. Watching it on TV will have to do though. That will be a great match. Of course, England will win.

I'm pulling for England, USA and Canada.

I was born in England, now live in the USA and I'm Canadian...wait a minute, Canada hasn't made the World Cup since their first and only appearance in 1986...LOL.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast