I got an email from TimeLife telling me to update my links and included in it was a reference to my log in name and password at Linkshare. Is this a surprise to anyone else?? It sure was to me!
    leeann
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    I received it, but it wasn't a surprise to me since I was an affiliate for them with BeFree.

Once they moved to Linkshare, they were kind enough to put us all in the database so we didn't have to go through the application hassle.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ~ Michelle:
    I received it, but it wasn't a surprise to me since I was an affiliate for them with BeFree.

Once they moved to Linkshare, they were kind enough to put us all in the database so we didn't have to go through the application hassle. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Still, I don't see why they would have your password, and worse why they'd mail it out in an unsecure email - especially given the new "improved" security at the LinkShare level.

http and a telephoto
    I get emails from linkshare merchants all the time and my user name is at the bottom but not my password. I have never seen my password included.

I was just getting ready to promote Time Life using their datafeed and now with the switch won't have access any longer. I don't have access to the merchandiser program and don't plan to sign up unless I have an overwhelming reason to.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Ohhh, I get what you are saying now.

I thought the OP meant how did TimeLife just set up the account for the OP at Linkshare. *brain dead moment*

I received the email, but I guess I didn't scroll down for enough to notice the password being in there.

I just skimmed the email since I had already noticed I was set up at Linkshare and changed all my links.
    ~Michelle

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> they were kind enough to put us all in the database so we didn't have to go through the application hassle. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure-Fit did that to me and I certainly didn't think of it as a "kindness!" Who needs another account to remember a login and password for?? If I wanted to stick with them, I'd want to use the links from my old LS account, so all the stats for that network would be in one place.

Plus, they set up TWO extra accounts for me--neither of which went away after I clicked the Deactivate Account link. Now the infernal Sure-Fit notices just come with no name, instead of being personalized. I finally put them in my spam filter.

As for the password, I have noticed that in the past. But the notices I just checked (from merchants I actually want, in the "real" account), have my username and an "Emailid" number which is not my password. Strange they're including it for some email and not others...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    But don't worry, anyone who got your password would still have to enter that hidden text login to see your stats, so you are safe. Thank god linkshare cares about our security.

Chet

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chez Noir:
    But don't worry, anyone who got your password would still have to enter that hidden text login to see your stats, so you are safe. Thank god linkshare cares about our security.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Oh, yaaass, I wasn't worried at all, that hidden text just gives me a warm, "fuzzy," safe feeling all over.

Yes, some Linkshare merchant (I forget who) once sent me my password, too. I was very unhappy about that. Nice to know my account info is so secure.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> they were kind enough to put us all in the database so we didn't have to go through the application hassle. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure-Fit did that to me and I certainly didn't think of it as a "kindness!" Who needs another account to remember a login and password for?? If I wanted to stick with them, I'd want to use the links from my old LS account, so all the stats for that network would be in one place.

Plus, they set up TWO extra accounts for me--neither of which went away after I clicked the Deactivate Account link. Now the infernal Sure-Fit notices just come with no name, instead of being personalized. I finally put them in my spam filter.

As for the password, I have noticed that in the past. But the notices I just checked (from merchants I actually want, in the "real" account), have my username and an "Emailid" number which is not my password. Strange they're including it for some email and not others... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When they moved from BeFree they set me up in my exisiting LinkShare account, not a seperate one. Since I planned on staying with them, I was happy with that. All my eggs are in one basket at LinkShare still.

Granted, they should send the password via email, but like I said, I hadn't noticed it.
    ~Michelle

Do Linkshare merchants have access to our account passwords? Surely this can't be.

They must have access since they're emailing them to us, and since email is not a secure way to send sensitive information, they're making our passwords available to the world. Not good.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ~ Michelle:
    Granted, they should send the password via email, but like I said, I hadn't noticed it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That should have said shouldN'T send the password via email.
    ~Michelle

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> When they moved from BeFree they set me up in my exisiting LinkShare account, not a seperate one. Since I planned on staying with them, I was happy with that. All my eggs are in one basket at LinkShare still. ~Michelle <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They must have more sense than Sure-Fit in that regard, or LS has improved that migration system.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> They must have access since they're emailing them to us, ~Fairla <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That depends if the email came direct from TimeLife, or if it went through the LS mailing system. If it went through LS, that system could be (or may not be!) adding it to the emails without the merchant ever seeing it.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Merchants do not have access to your passwords. I have 6 LS accounts so I'm pretty confident that this is a fact.

However automated emails such as sign up have the login and password placed in them on the fly.

There are a range of Data Items that a Merchant can select to insert into an email

Name
    LinkCode
    Account ID (Login)
    Site Name

Password "may" be one of them but I have never seen the insert code that allows this. either way that email goes only to the email that you enter into the system, and even bounced emails do not got back to the merchant.

The only way, that I am aware of, for a merchant to ever see your password, is if you send it to them.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

I'm not moving over to TimeLife's new digs until I know I'm getting paid for what I did for them at BFast, small as it was.

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    Hi All -

LinkShare does not provide merchants with affiliate password information. The email notifications that you received from TimeLife.com were sent through the LinkShare mail system. The merchant used an email template to communicate the transition of their program and changes in the status of each affiliate account to existing affiliate partners. The email template includes LinkShare specific email identification tags that enable the merchant to customize communications to affiliate partners. When sent through the LinkShare mail system, these email tags are automatically populated with the affiliate recipient's information. The merchant never sees the resulting account specific information.

Sarah

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread