More Google Love
    I know it's hip and sexy to pile on Google right now, but I have to add just a bit more fuel to the fire.

With the announcement of non opt-in personalized search yesterday, Google is trending towards becoming a bookmarking service, and not a search engine.

The obvious benefit to them is that more Paid and CPA ads will be clicked if their frequent users want to see unique content.

But aren't they now making GIGANTIC steps away from what made them a great search engine? Here's the comment I posted at the above blog referenced:

levelanalytics, December 5th, 2009 at 10:45 pm ET:
    Iím not sure I understand the benefit to the end user here. Clearly, the benefit to Google is the proliferation of AdWords clicks if regular Google users want to see something new.

If I wanted to buy something at Amazon, wouldnít I just go to Amazon? And what product specifically would I end up seeing in SERPs through Amazon that I would say ďOh! I didnít know Amazon carried that!Ē I mean, they carry everything!

@Google: My browser already supports bookmarking. Show me fresh and interesting content. Donít be a new fangled BHO.
    Seriously Google. Get over yourself.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    With the announcement of non opt-in personalized search yesterday, Google is trending towards becoming a bookmarking service, and not a search engine.

The obvious benefit to them is that more Paid and CPA ads will be clicked if their frequent users want to see unique content.
    There's no doubt in my mind that they'll find a way to treat bookmarks as ads and charge advertisers every time a user clicks a book mark. They found a way for Chrome to divert user typed addresses to paid ads (How Google and Its Partners Inflate Measured Conversion Rates and Increase Advertisers' Costs -Ben Edelman), why not bookmarks?

It appears that Google no longer wants to be "just" a search engine. They want to get paid whenever you use the Internet, regardless of how you use it.

"All your clicks are belong to us"!

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

If they're going to scrape my content, the least they could do is share it with their end users. Now they want to scrape AND get paid for it across the board. It's amazing.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

I've been watching this unfold. It's just another reason why it's getting harder for us to show in organic results. Also I just don't like the idea of an algo telling me that it knows what I'm interested in.

It appears that Google no longer wants to be "just" a search engine. They want to get paid whenever you use the Internet, regardless of how you use it.

that is very terrible, I think

ABW Ambassador
    It keeps on just personalizing your search even when you turn it off. I guess if you clear cookies or something, it's on by default and you have to keep turning it off. Just like their Buzz, where you were opted in from the start. They need to get sued for that kind of thing.

I've noticed this happening, too. Yesterday I had googled info on TIF and PNG formats, then went into one of my sites, and the adsense links were all about TIFs, JPGs and graphics...way to go on a site about finding new friends. It unnerved me at first, because I thought "what???" and then I remember somewhere sometime opting out of personalized ads for my site? Wasn't that an option? Add to the fact that I also added their opt-out cookie (which must have gotten erased somewhere along the line), ugh. Big brother is definately watching!!

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread