Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Worse than spammers, it seems that every day ineedhits/overture site match is emailing me telling me what a great deal I am going to miss out on, if I don't upgrade immediately... here's a couple of their pitches I thought were particularly funny......

- - - - - - - - - -
    How much is this highly-qualified traffic worth to you? $0.30 per click may seem expensive, but once you've converted that click into sale and examine the return on investment (ROI) you're getting for that price, you'll agree it's a bargain!
    - - - - - - - - - -

Oh, yer killing me, 30 cents per click through is SUCH a great deal, especially since it was FREE before, after paying a yearly fee.

Don't you just hate people that write things like, "You'll agree this is a bargain." I won't agree, who gave you the right to speak for me? Overture Site Match, for the record I DON'T AGREE. YOUR PLAN SUCKS DOGGIE DI**IES.

Let's see, I can pay Yahoo 30 cents for one click, or Google 30 cents for 6 clicks. Hmmmmm.........

- - - - - - - -
    Overture and ineedhits.com would like to thank all Inktomi Seach/Submit subscribers for the overwhelming response to our online survey!
    - - - - - - - -

Yeah, I bet the response was overwhelming. I wonder how many of the responses began with expletives.

- - - - - - - - -
    Overture Site Matchâ„¢ offers a wide range of enhanced features and benefits:

.....High return on investment (ROI) with a low annual subscription fee and cost-per-click pricing model
    - - - - - - - - -

I think you got that reversed, didn't you mean, "Low return on investment (ROI) with a high annual subscription fee and cost-per-click pricing model."? Good Lord, I would like to know what your version of a High cost-per-click pricing model is called.

- - - - - - - - -
    For example, if you pay 30 cents per click, and generate just 4 $100 sales or leads from every 100 clicks, that's a gross profit $370!
    - - - - - - - - -

Let's look at a better example. Let's say we are dealing with an affiliate program that gives us a whopping 10% commission. Now, paying 30 cents per click, we generate 100 clicks and make an astounding 2 $50 sales. That's $100 in sales, generating $10 of profit, oh no wait, we spent $30 in advertising, not counting the various redirects and BHOs and half a dozen other problems we deal with that drops our profit down around our ankles like a pair of XX boxers with the elastic worn out. So, we've lost at least $20 on the deal, easy. Hmmmm.....

How about this model.... We pay 5 cents per click at Google, 100 clicks cost us $5, 2 $50 sales later we earn $10, hey we are up $5. So, I can lose $20 with Yahoo or gain $5 with Google in the same time frame. Hmmm......

WHAT A JOKE!
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

ABW Ambassador
    Great post elbocreek!

Yahoo was never very good at giving a damn about value for money.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar

Ha ha, Elbow, that's so true!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    Elbow I normally agree with all your posts but just have to disagree here.

I'm using the new yahoo option and while it is expensive, there is no pleasure in the world that makes me feel better than doing good where others fail miserably. From my testing, Yahoo and ovetures PPC out converts google at a 4 to one ratio and the sales also have a higher dollar average.

While I can see where you would think that "yahoos users" are just a bunch of "yehoos" and that google users are sophisticated it seems that most of the "yehaws" actualy are at google and not yahoo - LOL.

Yall keep fussing and complaining and being negative and I'll just keep on woohoooing myself.

Yahoo is Woooooooooooooohoooooooooooooooooooooo

Just kidding, Great post - I got a kick out of it

ABW Ambassador
    Well I'd pay 30 cents per click for A)terms of my choice combined with B)at or near top of the heap of listings.

For instance, on a handbags page I may willing to pay 30 cents for a visitor who is searching for "pink purse with fur trim". But I wouldn't want to blow a month's pay in a day for the freaks (who outnumber the real shoppers in these 'areas') who are searching for "pink furry whatever" and other similar perv search strings.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Heh, let's say, for the sake of argument, that Yahoo converts 4 times better than Google.

Assume an eye-popping 8 $50 sales per hundred clicks for Yahoo:
    $120 spent in advertising at Yahoo generates 400 clicks. That's 32 $50 sales, $160 commission, $40 profit.

Assume a still impressive 2 $50 sales per 100 clicks for Google:
    $120 spent in advertising at Google generates 2,400 clicks. That's 48 $50 sales, $240 commission, $120 profit.

Heh, Google still looks pretty good to me. And don't get me started about paying 1 cent per click from GoClick and 7Search.... is Yahoo traffic really 30 times better than their traffic?
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Well, I look at it this way: Yahoo ripped me off by implying that future results would come from Inktomi, so I spend $1000 on Inktomi listings after foolishly falling for their "bait and switch" scam. I realise that I should have known better, since they did a bait and switch scam on the directory listings a couple of years back too.

So, I'm not going to spend one more cent with these scammers, and I'll just continue sending my large wad of cash to Google every month for their much better value traffic.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Actual PPCSE 2 month conversion ratio for www.suspenders.com keyword listings at Overture and Adwords....

Overture= 1/38
    Adwords= 1/18

Untargeted general SE traffic listings= 1/23

Basically the site owner is not buying any hype for spending mucho budget on PPCSE. Yahoo/Overture also partners with BHO search bars which dilutes their value.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Right, it's too expensive for affiliates who only get a small commission on a sale. So maybe it is a good way for Yahoo to get rid of aff sites,

What happens if I decide to try the .30 cents a click and find I am not getting a ROI? How do I stop it? Just totally loose my listing or am I stuck paying for a year? Certainly don't want to pay all year for a seasonal product.

Big companies throw millions of dollars at advertising a year, it's a tax write off. Many don't care about ROI. I guess 30 cents a click is probably cheap to them.

Considering all the dirty stunts Yahoo and Overture have pulled on their advertisers over the years, my vote goes to Google.

Dynamoo is right: that cr@p Yahoo pulled with paid listings in its directory a few years back, and then with the Inktomi listings is really too much. They should have offered refunds, and/or reduced rates for their customers affected by these changes, but they didn't. That stinks. Why support a company that would do this? You're just adding to the problem. Let them know you don't approve by spending your hard earned money elsewhere.

After all, they've done it before, what's to prevent them from sticking it to everyone again? Don't waste your money!

Andy

And the bottom line for Yahoo is that while I spend thousands of dollars a month with Google, I spend exactly nothing with Yahoo.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

ABW Ambassador
    Yahoo combined three PFI programs into one (Inktomi, Alta Vista and Fast) and is selling you the package at less than you were paying for all three. Now that's a deal!

Haha, that's the spin I read from some interview with a Yahoo exec.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dynamoo:
    Well, I look at it this way: Yahoo ripped me off by implying that future results would come from Inktomi, so I spend $1000 on Inktomi listings after foolishly falling for their "bait and switch" scam. I realise that I should have known better, since they did a bait and switch scam on the directory listings a couple of years back too.

So, I'm not going to spend one more cent with these scammers, and I'll just continue sending my large wad of cash to Google every month for their much better value traffic. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you are not alone on this.

Not alone...
    Got me too

Not to mention the traffic prior to them making their big announcement was much, much better than it is now...

CDC

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Let them know you don't approve by spending your hard earned money elsewhere.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately I have to think they don't care. They are going after the companies with big bucks. Will Google soon follow suit? What is Bill gonna do? Let's hope he uses his usual routine.. make it free so everyone will use it. Get them hooked and screw them later.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Companies that make the product can afford 30 or more cents per click just for the name recognition. Affiliates can't. Hope Google doesn't follow suit.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread