Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Bought Laminate Flooring For Home Project?
    We have been wanting to put laminate wood flooring on our first floor for some time now. We had Pergo put down in our last home and it was great. It looked nice and wore very well, even in the kitchen.

I have the tools and understanding on how to install this type of floating floor. I am wondering if you have purchased the materials from somewhere other than Home Depot or Lowes?

I see Lumber Liquidators has some good prices on laminate flooring, but I haven't shopped with them before. The downstairs that would be getting laminate flooring is about 1,500 square foot or about 75 cases. If I take the mid range price from home depot, that comes to about $5,000 just for the wood.

Obviously, if I could get the same product cheaper somewhere else, that would be good.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I have heard that lumber liquidators (LL) have really good prices. They have an affiliate program somewhere, I think GAN, so you can make a few % back

Check some local outlets, I know in Houston, flooranddecoroutlets.com have good prices and at times, better than LL.

Personally, i would not go to HD to get laminates or carpet. I would go to a store that sold solely those items

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    It's been about 5 years since I ordered my flooring on the internet so it may be different now. But I had a great experience ordering laminates online. Matter of fact I did it twice. First time the truck driver was not so nice, no lift gate, meant unloading about 600 sq foot of flooring by hand. Second time the driver was great, 1000 sq foot, he even helped unload it.

I think I paid $2.99 a sq foot for the same flooring that local places were selling for $3.99+.

If you have damaged flooring, that was a bit of a pain, I did have 3 or 4 boxes that were damaged with one order. Instead of returning the damaged boxes I just cut off the damaged parts and used what the rest to start new rows.

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    We just bought our house, and the basement is half-finished. It had nasty, torn-up linoleum. But we are no where near having enough cash to completely redo everything. So we went to Ikea and bought some laminate for $.35/sq ft. Spent about $350 and two days of work, and we love it. It'll definitely tide us over until we can afford a remodel!

Here's a picture of us halfway done. Don't you dig the wall paneling too?

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Carolyn,

I think you need to put some carpet on the wall.
    ..and all you need is a disco ball to complete your transformation.

lol, actually, we were thinking more along the lines of astroturf! *grin*

So is that traditional laminate flooring like Pergo, Dupont, etc?

Yep, it was standard tongue in groove installation. You can see all the Ikea stuff here: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/?qu...ting=relevance

We just went with the slatten, which was on sale when we bought it. It's not high end, and it's just a short term fix for us, but you can see they have a whole range of low to high end laminate. The Slatten is great, resists scratches and dents and is wonderful.

We also liked it because Ikea has a policy that if you don't like the laminate, you can just return it. We live about an hour away from one, so that worked for us.
    best,
    Carolyn
    ShareASale Client Services
    Y!: SAS_CTang
    e: ctang(at)shareasale.com

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    So is that traditional laminate flooring like Pergo, Dupont, etc?
    I've installed 100's of 1000's of sf of natural wood flooring in my time, but installed Pergo in my baths and my foyer.

LOVE IT!

Even installed it in my brother's house a year or so ago and they Love It Too.

There's nothing like hard wood.... if you don't have kiddos scratching it up with everything from roller skates to running in and out of the house with muddy shoes..

And Pergo lasts.

If you need a great price, let me know!

I can prolly save you some cash, NOT ON-LINE THO!

I can get a break from the mfr.

If you want to purchase on-line, I might recommend this..

$1.57 sf is a pretty good deal....

BuildDirect is a solid saver. -

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    We just installed a bamboo floor in our house, and got the flooring at Lumber Liquidators in Salt Lake City. Definitely the best value I could find, although I didn't like the 20% restocking fee on the extra boxes we returned! I guess that's pretty standard, tho. Or is it?

Those certainly are some good prices there RG. I need to compare the snap wood floors and the ones that get glued like Pergo.

I don't know if you have an IKEA around you, but their flooring is incredible and impossibly inexpensive. I feel like I should insert a joke here about having to grow it yourself....
    Seriously, I had it in my kitchen at my last house and it worked out really well.
    Tundra is 29.58 for 25.726 square feet:
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/ca...e/10373/14699/
    Dyan Carlson
    ["My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness."- The Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by guinness618
    I don't know if you have an IKEA around you, but their flooring is incredible and impossibly inexpensive. I feel like I should insert a joke here about having to grow it yourself....
    Seriously, I had it in my kitchen at my last house and it worked out really well.
    Tundra is 29.58 for 25.726 square feet:
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/ca...e/10373/14699/
    Wow, that's crazy, two of us with Ikea floors!

IKEA ROCKS!!!!!

I worked for them for a few years. One of THE BEST EXPERIENCES of my life!
    LOVE, LOVE IKEA!
    Dyan Carlson
    ["My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness."- The Dalai Lama

Carolyn - I had that paneling - I hit it with primer and then painted some of it cranberry, some of it cream - the primer makes all the difference and it was easy enough for me to do without a manual.

We just had Pergo installed in the kitchen. There was no glue involved, just snapped together. It's great... unless the pump on your dishwasher decides to bite the dust and release a ton of water under your newly installed Pergo. But, after buying a new dishwasher, treating for mold, and installing more new Pergo flooring, we're happy with it. LOL.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Do like I did.

Buy a moulder-shaper, some shaping heads and some 3/4 stock and make your own flooring.

I did it.

Made about 8 square feet of tongue and grove oak flooring to replace a section of my floor.

The project only cost me about $100. square foot.

Of course, I've got my tools sitting around waiting for other projects . . like the kitchen cabinets I'm going to build . . some day . .

But no kidding, if you get the right price and have a love for the smell of wood dust, ripping oak/pine and shaping tongue and groove planking can be fun . . for awhile . .
    I'll get the hang of it eventually. :0)

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    My father-in-law just put down prefinished solid oak wood flooring. He also has a room of laminate flooring. The solid wood was on sale at Menards and cost about the same as laminate. In his (and mine) opinion, the solid wood looks much nicer and can be refinished if ever needed.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread