Exclamation Are there any size limitation for .htaccess?
    About a week ago one of my Joomla sites started to experience an error condition that requires site visitors to register to see what should be public content. Apparently this has been a known Joomla issue for several years (known by everyone but me apparently) with several possible causes and even more possible solutions. None of which has actually done me any good.

After a week of looking for a solution to this issue, the only one that I've found that actually does work is really the one that I would have preferred to avoid. Unfortunately avoidance is no longer possible as revenues for this site have plummeted in the past week and I'm starting to see the error appear in the SERPs as the pages are being re-crawled.

I will need to move about 3K dynamic pages to new locations within Joomla which will of course create new page addresses. A little over a thousand of these pages are indexed by the SE's so I will need to set up a permanent redirect (301) to these pages.

So back to my original question. Will 3K redirects in an .htaccess file be possible? And if so will there be a significant impact on site performance? Are there any other possible solutions?

Thanks guys.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    These page aren't subject to some sort of wildcard manipulation? Can you give an example of old url to new url?

Yes, I can use some wildcard manipulation for multiple page entries. Here's what the before and after and after (I'll explain) URLs look like:

Original URL:

http: //site.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=655

New URL:

http: //site.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=655&Itemid=424

Since I need to create redirects for all of these pages any way, I've also added a SEF (search engine friendly) component to eliminate the ugly look of the dynamic URLs. So the final URL will look like this:

http: //site.com/jewelry/pearl-earrings.html

The SEF component that I've chosen allows me to download a database of the URLs that I'll need to create the 301 redirects so capturing the necessary data is relatively simple (except that it only allows me to download 50 records at a time). I just need to do it twice, prior to moving the pages (get the original URL) and then after moving the pages (get the new dynamic URL). The final URL doesn't change (yeah!).

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

I've always wondered that as well. I'm sure that at some point the size would have a negative impact on performance, but I suspect that 1000 extra lines wouldn't make much of a difference. It may vary from platform to platform, too.

I searched and found dozens of people asking similar questions, but no real answers.

You could always test it. Build some .htaccess files with 100, 1000, 10k, and 100k lines in it. Do some benchmarking on pages with each version installed and compare the results. Would be quite revealing.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

http and a telephoto
    Yup there are sites that have not just thousands of redirects, but hundreds of thousands.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Yup there are sites that have not just thousands of redirects, but hundreds of thousands.
    Thanks Lox, my measley 3K shouldn't be a issue. I guess I can't put this off any longer. I'm really not looking forward to this.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    You could always test it. Build some .htaccess files with 100, 1000, 10k, and 100k lines in it. Do some benchmarking on pages with each version installed and compare the results. Would be quite revealing.
    Yeah, I will. I'll test at 0, 100, 1K, 2K and 3K and let everyone know the results.

-rematt

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread