What do you look for in a Host?
    Hey Webbers!

I'm with Bluehost right now and have 3 domains with them. I've been
    thinking about going with a new host for my new domains but I was
    wondering if there is anything in particular that you look for in a new
    host or if you could recommend a good one?

Are they pretty much all the same or are there some benefits that
    could assist you in your affiliate marketing ventures. I'm guessing
    that price and support are very important, but what are some other
    things that you look for in a host?

Is a referral program a big deal? I've even heard of some hosts that offer unlimited domains for a monthly fee, would you recommend such a thing?

Thanks in advance for all your responses.

Reliability. Of course one would need to be sure to have whatever features are needed for what one is doing, but reliability is the first word and the last word.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Affiliate Manager BlogBonnieBlog's Avatar
    1st biggest thing for me is compatibility with my site (wordpress = non-windows server platform; joomla does not work well on windows servers either).

2nd thing is SERVICE! Try calling their helpline. Do you have to email them for help? do you get a phone number? When your livelyhood depends on your site being up, will they be able to do a restore within an hour or so if your site is hacked? will they help you with little tweaks and "hold your hand" if you're not a network engineer LOL. I had a host i used for YEARS because 24x7x365 I could call and get a human being that spoke real ENGLISH and i didn't have to sit in a queue for an hour just to talk to them. Typically they just answered! (not even a short queue.) Too bad they only had windows based servers and I finally had to leave. I really missed their service when I realized i had to email my new host and wait for an answer. And, i paid for extra daily backup service with new host and they ended up only really backing up my data once every 5 days (What????). Very painful when my sites were hacked and i thought my backups would be so easy to restore. You get what you pay for. I do love that I can host unlimited domains on my current host (lunarpages.com). If i upgraded to their higher end hosting i'd get a phone number for support. I miss Crystaltech.com's friendly, fast service though. Good luck with your quest!

My four basic requirements are: Reliability, LAMP with CPanel/WHM (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP - non windows - so I can do basically what I need to do), Tech Support (quick email or ticket response AND the option of calling and talking with a real person), and Diversification (I have my sites spread between two reliable hosts - in case of a catastrophic failure at one I am not totally out of buisness).
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Support, Support & 99.9999 Uptime

I have 4 different Hosts with enough extra space that If one host has an outage/Problem then I can spread the effected sites to the other 3 host within minutes.

On a side note you should use a service such as WatchMouse to monitor your sites, so you know right away if you have a problem with a host.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

Reliability.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Affiliate Manager
    One detail about Bluehost that's too obscure for most ordinary reviews to notice: all errors on a given machine are recorded to a common log available to all users on that machine.

That means that if you have a weakness in one of your CGI or PHP scripts or other server processes, that weakness is exposed to dozens of strangers.

I've written Bluehost about this, and it took more than a dozen emails to get them to elevate the issue for consideration by an admin. As of my latest exchange with them they still haven't acknowledged that it poses a security risk for their customers, but have at least agreed to review the matter.

That was four months ago. I haven't heard from them since.

If they fix this so that each user has their own error log as is common with every other hosting company I've used, they'd be a good option.

But as it is, I've advised my client who was using them to put any mission-critical server processes on another system, and won't use them myself.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

I've found that an easy-to-use interface is very nice to have with a hosting company. That said, I'd deal with a crummy interface any day if I knew that I could be talking to a real, live, helpful support person on the phone in minutes rather than waiting days playing email support tag (e.g. "We've escalated this simple question that we should know the answer to to our technical team, that should, but won't, get back to you within 24 hours.").

Price is always important too. It seems many hosting companies are offering great services while racing to the bottom in price. I'm certainly not complaining about that.

If I could combine Go Daddy's support and reliability with Lime Domains interface, I'd be a happy man.

Quote Originally Posted by FourthWorld
    One detail about Bluehost that's too obscure for most ordinary reviews to notice: all errors on a given machine are recorded to a common log available to all users on that machine.

That means that if you have a weakness in one of your CGI or PHP scripts or other server processes, that weakness is exposed to dozens of strangers.

I've written Bluehost about this, and it took more than a dozen emails to get them to elevate the issue for consideration by an admin. As of my latest exchange with them they still haven't acknowledged that it poses a security risk for their customers, but have at least agreed to review the matter.

That was four months ago. I haven't heard from them since.

If they fix this so that each user has their own error log as is common with every other hosting company I've used, they'd be a good option.

But as it is, I've advised my client who was using them to put any mission-critical server processes on another system, and won't use them myself.

hmm.. I'm not sure what all of that means yet but thanks for the info, I found them to have really good tech support (24/7 hotline) but if there is an issue with security I should really search for a new host.

for our blogs we use hosts with good speed of delivery that offer one-click wordpress installation.
    [URL]http://Essociate.com[/URL]

Hi JaedenKy,

What I look for in in a hosting service are the following:

1. Uptime - the more uptime, the better
    2. Customer Support - 24/7, so that I get answers to questions when I need them
    3. A management interface like CPanel - so that it's easier to manage my domains/sites
    4. The amount of storage - more space for less money
    5. The bandwidth - more traffic volume for less money
    6. The number of domains that can be hosted, MySQL databases, subdomains - the more the better

Last edited by Trust; December 11th, 2009 at 02:59 AM. Reason: link drop

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread