Just received an email from Network Solutions, now you can buy a domain and register it for 100 Years,

"Protecting your online identity is now easier than ever with the 100 Year Domain Service from Network Solutions®!
    They're making headlines—companies that accidentally forget to renew their valuable domain name registrations. It happens more than you think. Don't let it happen to you!

Get Network Solutions® 100 Year Domain Service and extend any of your domain name registrations for 100 years—the longest term available.

Register with Confidence and Save 70%!
    No more tracking expiration dates or yearly renewal notices. Network Solutions—the leader in domain name management—will automatically keep your domain name registration current and registered in your name.

Plus, order our exclusive 100 Year Domain Service today and pay just $9.99 per registration year for each domain name—our lowest per year price available. That's a savings of more than 70% compared to paying annually.

Secure your domain registrations
    into the next century!
    Don't let a slip of the mind cause you to lose the domain names most important to you or your business. Secure them with 100 Year Domain Service, today!"

Where do I have to send the check?

That will be the best solution that I see come out of Network Solutions on the last 10 years.

Go ahead and post the link, I am willing to pay $1000.00 now and don't have to worry for the next 100 years if I forget to renew my priceless Domain Name or I was not enabled to renew because I was on vacation on another Planet or dead on this one on 2012 when the Mayan calendar ends.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    You cannot register a name for more than 10 years.

What they are doing is charging you for 100 years in advance, then banking your funds and drip feeding your money into the real system to keep it at it's 10 year limit.

Do you get your money back if NSI collapsed into a heap in 15 years time?

You're better off having your name at a cheaper registrar, registering it out to 10 years max, putting the other 90 years worth of renewal costs into a compound interest savings account and paying the rest of the renewals using the interest.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I have one domain that I've made hubby promise he'll keep going if I should *choke* predecease him. Last time it came up for renewal I reupped for the maximum 10 years.

Which brings up an interesting question. Can one appoint an entity as executor for a domain, with the charge that that the domain be maintained in perpetuity (or until the internet becomes obsolete)?

http and a telephoto
    I heard about this a couple of days ago, I just can't understand how a company can get away with crap like this, but, ya know, they will.

<sigh>

Someday maybe I'll come up with that one stupid idea that people will pay zillions of $$$ for and I can take the money and run......
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    >Can one appoint an entity as executor for a
    >domain, with the charge that that the domain
    >be maintained in perpetuity (or until the
    >internet becomes obsolete)?

Put the domain in a trust and lease it back to yourself or your company.

Trustee bound by the trust deed to maintain the registration out at it's 10 year max.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>(or until the
    &gt;internet becomes obsolete) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    That's exactly what the greedy Verisign/NetSol bastards are banking on.

When our grand-children are chuckling at the concept of domain names in their History of Technology class, the Verisign grand-brats will be funding their college education with the money Verisign execs are trying to con us out of now. Only an idiot would pay a penny to these arrogant bastards.

Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NorthernStudio:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>(or until the
    &gt;internet becomes obsolete) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    That's exactly what the greedy Verisign/NetSol bastards are banking on.

When our grand-children are chuckling at the concept of domain names in their History of Technology class, the Verisign grand-brats will be funding their college education with the money Verisign execs are trying to con us out of now. Only an idiot would pay a penny to these arrogant bastards.

ICCAN should yank their right to register domains for this fraud and their past attempts to hijack the web.

Wayne <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    They should have done this 5 years ago and maybe they could convince people to do $35 a year for 100 years.

I can get $8 a year at several registars for as little as one year. Why should I do this with NS when the pattern is lower prices?

Affiliate Manager ParadigmWilliam's Avatar
    wow, what kind of sucker would fall for this? Poor newbies out there.
    [URL="http://www.manageaffiliatelinks.com/"][COLOR="Red"][B]Manage Affiliate Links[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Redirect Dead, Expired, or Broken Links

[URL="http://www.wpcoupon.com/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]WP Coupon[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Turn Wordpress into a Coupon Site!

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread