Lightbulb 25 year old entrepreneur would love to ask merchants questions about the space
    [To mods: I hope this is the right forum for this, and if its not, I apologize in advance and ask the mods to please move it. In addition, this is just a information gathering post for me... I have no product to promote, nothing to sell... this is just an entrepreneur trying to learn about the affiliate space]

Hi there, my name is David Parkinson, and I'm a scrappy 25 year old entrepreneur who used to work at Microsoft and quit my job to make this space better. I have some big ideas about making the affiliate industry a better, more profitable place for all - networks, merchants, and affiliates. I want to be clear, I don't even have a product anyone can use at this point, I'm just doing information gathering to increase my understanding about the space and the problems that folks have here.

I'm interested in meeting merchants and asking 8 targeted questions via phone/email/IM. The whole process should take 10 minutes. The benefit to you would be when I'm done implementing our product, it would be much more useful for fellow merchants. If you folks would like, I can ask the questions directly in this thread and folks can respond, such as a poll. Or please feel free to PM if you prefer. Mods can also direct the best way to move forward.

Knowing that I don't know a lot of people in the affiliate space, I decided to come here to start. If you folks have suggestions on where I can meet these types of people online/offline, I'm all ears.

Best,
    David

Why don't you go ahead and ask the questions in the thread and see what kind of response you get?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Here are my questions:

What percentage of sales comes from affiliates? How has that # changed over time? Recently?
    Which networks do you work with? Why?
    Which affiliate methods are OK for promotion? Which aren't?
    How do you feel about sub-affiliate IDs used when promoting your product?
    How do you go about approving affiliates who apply for your program? What are things that allow in your network, and which are ones you dont?
    Are you OK with your offers appearing in the empty space of websites?
    What kind of content are you OK with?

http and a telephoto
    Most of that is available if you know where to look and the info that isn't, is pretty much info that companies might not want to share.

A lot of that also is dependent on each merchant so if you are looking for a consensus, it doesn't exist If you ask those question to 10 merchants, you will get 10 different answers. And probably be very confused.
    Last edited by loxly; December 23rd, 2009 at 02:59 PM.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

@loxly; Do you know where I might start to get that information? I'm very open to self learning.

These are great questions, I"d like to know some of the answers, as I'm new to the affiliate space..is there no one on this forum that can answer?

I think you'll find that the members here are very helpful when it comes to answering specific, relevant questions.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

http and a telephoto
    There are threads here that cover every one of those questions, some of the discussions are quite detailed and some very heated.

There isn't an easy to post, or "pat" answer to any of them. They are very general, very "dataming" questions. They are questions that you will need to research the answers for.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread