ABW Ambassador
    My mothers laptop seems to have a virus - it was using the messenger service on XP to popup windows with alerts for various things. I could turn the messaanger service off so the popups have stopped BUT I cannot get rid of this thing AND the worst part, it has stopped all anti-virus programs from functiong.

I can run adaware and spybot, thought it might be a hybrid they get rid of but they didnt. I try to update norton and it shuts norton down, I try to run norton as is and it shuts norton down. I downloaded AVG from Grisoft and it won't let me install it - it just shuts it down. I've even tried a downloaded "fix" for a variant of this virus, which does clear out some files but it doesnt get rid of it.

Has anyone experienced this / does anyone have any advice on what I could do about this?!

ABW Ambassador
    I had a similar problem with a nasty piece of crap called "Messenger Service" that would pop-up ads and every once in a while it would pop up an ad telling me I could buy their software and that would stop it. It came on a heavily infected computer a client gave me.

Tried lots of things unsuccessfully. I was able to finally get rid of it with something called "Spam Slammer" that I was able to download free at: http://spam-slammer.com

I think it only adresses the Messenger Service crapware. You can read about the legal threats that the owners of that site have been getting from the perpetrators of this pop-up extortion racket. More lawsuit-happy scumware pushers.

Wayne

Sounds like a MyDoom worm to me.

Go here:

http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/viru...=WORM_MYDOOM.J

If your computer allows you, scan your computer at www.antivirus.com, it's a free online scan from Trend Micro and the best one.

The above long link gives you instructions on how to remove the MyDoom virus if that's what you have. At least, you can look for specific files to know if that's what it is.

Hope this helps.

Now it's late enough and time to call it a night!

Ciao.

Catwoman

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Housecall, at Trendmicro - catwomans link above will take you to a link - picked up a couple of popup generating programs on my PC that other apps did not find, it works really well.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Guys!

It was the type of virus that they couldn't clean but I managed to get it out, after putting the computer in safe mode and all that jazz lol

winlog.exe was the file.

Glad we could help and even more so that you were able to get it out.

These little things are getting nasty! You don't even need to open email attachments anymore to get infected with a virus. Just previewing them in the preview window or opening the email without touching the attachment is enough for a virus to find its way somewhere into your computer. Real nasty little buggers!

AVG is by far the best antivirus program, even the free version. It has caught viruses for me that other antivirus programs never found. Second best antivirus is Trend Micro. Zone Alarm Pro is the best firewall. Norton is the worst piece of crap you could ever install on your computer!!!!

Catwoman

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread