Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Thumbs up Scale Your Own Datafeed Images
    Well, David has done it again. This time he's created an interface that will allow Affiliates to scale their own feed images so that displays will be consistent. Let us know what you think...
    Well, we talked over the results internally and decided we weren’t satisfied with maintaining the status quo any longer. So we began building a solution that would let us scale (resize) product imagery as part of our normal datafeed processing, resulting in feeds that more closely resemble our standard recommendations, namely:
    • Small Images – 100×100 pixels
    • Medium Images – 200×200 pixels
    • Large Images – 300×300 pixels

But part-way through implementing this, it was brought to our attention that our standard recommendations don’t quite suit everyone perfectly, and that there might be some value in allowing affiliates to have some say in the matter. To that end, we’d like to announce the ability of affiliates to configure their own datafeed image preferences.
    Read full article: Affiliate Datafeed Image Preferences

Awesome innovation!

I assume that you maintain the aspect ratio, so that a 320x240 image, for instance, becomes 100x75 if you tell it 100x100?

Is there an option so that it only resizes down and not up? For instance, if the starting image is 60x60, sizing it up to 300x300 would look pretty grainy.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Looks like David stepped out for a bit. I'll post back as soon as I get answers for you MC..

If only the height or width is altered it will autosize normally. If both are specified, then all merchant images would need to be one size and square...and then there's IE..

It sounds like a good innovation though and I know David's smart enough to implement it right!

Ok Michael, heard back from David. Here is how he explained it:

"The methodology we're using always maintains the aspect ratio of the original image. Let's say you wanted to standardize to 200x200px and you started with a rectangular 100x200px image. That original image would actually just get placed onto a clear or white background of the desired size (200x200px); the aspect ratio is still unchanged, but the image itself is the proper size for layout purposes, etc."

That could be a problem if affiliates aren't using white backgrounds. Adding that extra white could look bad. I would recommend keeping the same aspect ratio but just resizing it to the maximum that would fit in the requested size.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Pulling out and widening the lead again. Way to go.

One question. Does the default set up on our feeds leave everything as is? I have had to re-size on my own up until now and wouldn't want my script to conflict. I think I read that you can adjust image size for each feed. I'll definitely be using the new features, but it will take time to adjust.

Affiliate Network Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    That could be a problem if affiliates aren't using white backgrounds. Adding that extra white could look bad. I would recommend keeping the same aspect ratio but just resizing it to the maximum that would fit in the requested size.
    MichaelColey - Two things to keep in mind here:
    1. The vast majority of product images have white backgrounds to begin with. Any website not using white backgrounds around existing product imagery would be no worse off with the scaling in place.
    2. Our scaling script does attempt to use a transparent background (if the image type you configure supports that) if an available color for transparency can be determined. So not all enlarged images would necessarily end up using the white background.

Affiliate Network Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    One question. Does the default set up on our feeds leave everything as is? I have had to re-size on my own up until now and wouldn't want my script to conflict. I think I read that you can adjust image size for each feed. I'll definitely be using the new features, but it will take time to adjust.
    John,

The default settings are to do nothing new. You have to specifically log in and configure some image preferences of your own to trigger any changes.

And while you cannot adjust the image size independently for each feed, you can control it on a per-website basis. So if you wanted to start using the image scaling within some new tools, but leave your old setup completely unchanged, you could:
    • add a new website
    • configure image scaling preferences just for that one website
    • build new tool subscriptions that use the newly created website and automatically pick up the image scaling preferences

Fantastic! Thanks!

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread