Question What do you seach for LOCALLY?
    I'm working on a new business venture having to do with local (internet) search. I'd like to throw this question out to the crowd...

What are you looking for when you do local internet searches?
    or if you know... what areas are most popular for local searches?

Thanks in advance for your guidance/comments.

Good question. When I do a local search I'm usually looking for services like medical or dental, repairs, landscaping or something that can't be shipped, products that would be too expensive to ship or something that I need TODAY and don't want to wait for it to be shipped.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

ABW Ambassador
    food - restuarants, pizza

As far as "or if you know... what areas are most popular for local searches?"

I would check out the other local search engines - http://www.localsearch.com/bycat/

The categories they use are probably there because it's what people are searching for the most. The one I linked to, seems pretty much on point for local searches.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    food - restuarants, pizza
    I was going to say: "After all these years eating , you should know where all the local food joins are located by now!"...

But I forgot that you recently moved, so I guess you need to search for some local food, again!

http and a telephoto
    I search online for photography and printing supplies and usually need them *now* so also look for local places to get them. I'm bad about shopping for electronics, I usually want them right now and need to find a local store. You would think in NYC you could find anything, but not so much really.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I can't remember ever doing a local search.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

#1 - food

#2 - movie times

#3 - food
    Jason Rubacky - CEO/SEO Nerd at PassTheSEO
    jason at passtheseo dot com
    @jasonrubacky

phone numbers because I throw out the yellow pages
    sometimes info on events

That's really about it for me
    I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Bud Lite than Kay.

What do you seach for LOCALLY?
    I usually don't use the SE's to search for anything local, but lately I have been using http://www.thefind.com/ to find some products locally, and check for the best price around my area...

Quote Originally Posted by suzie250
    phone numbers because I throw out the yellow pages
    sometimes info on events

That's really about it for me
    By coincidence yesterday I was doing a bit of home office "straightening" and I put five phone books in our recycling bin. They will be gone Friday morning - leaving only one in the house - but I can't remember the last time I used it.

So, for "local" Internet searches movie times are at the top of the list. Next would be restaurant links in the Baltimore area. (At our beach place I don't need a search engine because I have a website there with nearly all the restaurants listed. )

Otherwise, I may look for a specific phone number by searching a person's name - or may need an address by searching on a phone number.

When searching for a specific product or service, I frequently find a Google search to be a pain - much of what appears in the SERPS are directory sites, similar to the one SAL posted above. Many of them are little more than compilations of purchased datafeeds and seldom have "real" info and/or live links. The publishers of those sites are hoping for ad clicks. (I know, I tried it - made a little, but not enough to continue. Might even have a couple such domains still online.)
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I used an app to find a coffee shop in Southern California last week & use the web to find physical addresses regularly.

I'd say food related and where to find products locally are what I search for most often.
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

Food, Doctors, Landscape stuff, College info - game times/theater/concerts
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Things I do or would like to search for locally (not necessarily here, but often when I'm traveling):

* Driving directions
    * Restaurants meeting specific criteria
    * Business hours
    * Nearest post office and/or mail drop that isn't past the cutoff yet.
    * Local coupons.
    * Movie showtimes and prices.
    * Parking.
    * Used stuff for sale that's too bulky to ship.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Local Singles....

Oh wait, no I don't...

I rarely use local search, except for fishing information, boat launches, hiking trails.

And most of that is relatively static, so I don't search it often.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

As Bill pointed out many of the local websites are actually scrapes of various online yellow pages and add very little of value. I have a series of domains and sites based on local that certainly have the typical 'directory' content but also try to add some value to the visitor beyond names and phone numbers of the local pizza places. As I know Bill does, the key to local is actually being local, give real and honest information about an area and the site will be successful. My Dayton sites are far more popular and useful than the ones in Atlanta or Chicago although I"m hoping to change that in 2010. It's those non-local sites that I've got to spend the most time bringing people back to.

As for what gets searched on area websites, it's pretty well been covered already.
    In no particular order for the sites I have in Dayton Ohio:
    Movie times
    Community events (parades, festivals...)
    Restaurant reviews
    Garage sales
    Coupons/Sales (cool niche to work)
    Houses/Apts for rent
    Dating
    Employment

Think of the local craigslist options, they've done a great job of seeing what people wanted and gave it to them. Take those categories and make it MORE local.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    Local Singles....
    YOU have a good memory!

Thanks everyone. I had a strategy meeting this morning with my partners and this really helped me/us out!

Local newspaper, local weather.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Outsourced Program Manager - Parenting Niche hermedia's Avatar
    I am not sure based on others replies if I am answering this right... but i search for every service locally through google.

If I need a 'roofer' (yes I have an ugly blue tarp on my house right now) I google roofer and googles business directory listing provide me with local listing, website, phone number, and map. I am a geek - if they haven't registered with googles directory they probably won't get my business.

I don't need a local directory. Google already accommodates me with local listings.

My Yellow Pages sees the light of day maybe 2 times a year when someone asks to use it.

I also search for the following local content:
    events
    movie listings
    classifieds ( kijiji craiglist)
    Job boards (for friends)

Affiliate Manager Veena krishnappa's Avatar
    I use the search for looking at the
    movie timings
    directions
    cab services

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    As a very general rule, I do a local search for things/services that I will obtain/do in person. Large items with prohibitive shipping, movies, directions, accountants, barbers, etc.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Think people also do local searches when they are selling or buying a car, truck, boat or anyting auto related. Sample idea http://www.autotrader.com/, still the best.

Food (I always throw away the menus and need to look up the phone #'s) and services (western union checkpoints, home heating oil delivery, etc)
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

restuarants, I always try to find new close restuarants

restaurants
    doctor phone numbers
    fix-it numbers - plumber, roofer, tree service
    real estate listings
    movie times
    addresses for friends house that I can get to but don't know how to snail mail...
    news
    events
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Navy][SIZE=3][B]Molly Bradford[/B][/SIZE] | [SIZE=2][B][URL=http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/content/info/1059773978525/1]Affiliate Program Manager (join!)[/URL] | Vann's, Inc[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [SIZE=1]molly[dot]bradford[at]vanns[dot]net | [URL]www.vanns.com[/URL] | yahoo, msn, gchat ID: [B]mhaislnut[/B]
    [URL]www.twitter.com/vanns[/URL] | [URL]www.facebook.com/vanns[/URL] [/FONT][/SIZE]

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread