Google's Need For Speed
    Reading "Your Site's Performance" on the Webmaster Central Blog. There's a lot there and in the post right before it.

They talk about the Site Performance Tool in WMT under Labs. There is a link to the Page Speed Add-On for Firefox which I tried and seems real handy. In a nutshell it looks like they are going to put pressure on us to have sites that load fast. That's not really a bad thing since it means a better user experience.

Looks like the first site that I checked could use some improvement, and I have some more studying to do.

Hmm, will have to go read that now....umm not sure I wanna see results tho. Can't remember where I read it but there were several things discussed about their next ranking and page speed was one of the factors given more importance. Off to there now. Thanks for posting it

umm Maybe I shouldn't have tried to do this now. Am fine but had some dental surgery done and umm under the influence of meds for few days. Uhh figured might not be too wise an idea to be editing my sites in my umm condition so only doin a lil of that (and writing down what I did so I can check it later lol ) Thought I'd be able to stay outa trouble just doin this kinda stuff and try to catch up on a few other things.

Sooo..umm Help I went there and downloaded the thingie you suggested but don't have a clue where it went. Am sounding like a real dummy now. Could you maybe give me a hint where it might be hiding itself from me??

they are going to put pressure on us to have sites that load fast
    Oh my gosh! I finally found something good about still being on dial-up! I have made sure that all of my sites load fast because I still feel the pain everyday.

I'll be checking out the speed tool just to see where I really stand. Thanks for the link!
    I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Bud Lite than Kay.

Purplebear look under tools and then add ons
    I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Bud Lite than Kay.

"Purplebear look under tools and then add ons"

Thank you My por lil brain did actually figure that out before your suggestion lol Kept thinkin it would appear up on the toolbar. It says you need Firebug?? to use it which I don't have evidently. Least don't see it anywhere. Is Firebug another add on and if so what does it do?

Dont know about firebug, sorry. Guess I'll find out when I add on the speed thingy.

I wonder what causes those huge spikes in slowness shown in the chart on WMT?

Cool
    In a nutshell it looks like they are going to put pressure on us to have sites that load fast.
    Well, if they got rid of thin affiliates...

Maybe now they want to complain about affiliates having too much content on their sites...

Another catch-22?

It says you need Firebug??
    It's a wonderful diagnostic add-on for Firefox. Page Speed Add-on works in Firebug. I wouldn't mess with any of it until you feel tip top.

Thanks for posting this.

Guess I better be on this one too.

Will do the test probably in the morning.

That page "running page speed" is wayyy to long to read right now, midnight.

After looking into this a bit more, the Page Speed add on is open-source code developed by Google.

I'm not trusting them much right now so I think I'll pass for now and just look at the pretty graphs in WMT. I really don't want Google worming their way into my Firefox.
    Last edited by suzie250; December 10th, 2009 at 12:10 AM. Reason: spelling

ABW Ambassador
    I think the Google Analytics code slows sites down to a crawl, I'd remove that

If your site loads within 4 seconds you're fine. http://www.google.com/search?q=sites...GGL_en___US341

As an example, I went to Purplebear's site via Google and I counted one thousand one and it was already loaded up. All mine are fine. Every one I checked is pretty instant, around a second I would imagine.

I had a look at one of my sites and it tell me to:

Enable gzip compression, Compressing the following resources with gzip could reduce their transfer size by 46.1 KB

So how do I Enable gzip compression???

What they tell me that slowing down the pages are:

Popshops
    google-analytics.com/ga.js
    googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

Popshops
    google-analytics.com/ga.js
    googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js
    Some elements we will never be able to control, but they have good help files for things like gzip starting here. I'm learning some new stuff here too like minify CSS. They have a tool that does that, and it helps.

If using a shared hosting environment, you will just need to make sure your host has some great load balancing in place. One of my hosts just recently changed their setup and everything loads really fast now.

Also note that widgets may significantly slow down load speed. But, Google loves widgets so go figure. Maybe they discount elements that are outside of your site's direct control? That would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    All mine are fine. Every one I checked is pretty instant, around a second I would imagine.
    I disable cache with the Web Developer Toolbar in Firefox, and then do a refresh. If we are pulling from our own browser cache the test is not good. You being an old hand know that I'm sure, but some may not.

Quote Originally Posted by sfcom
    Also note that widgets may significantly slow down load speed. But, Google loves widgets so go figure. Maybe they discount elements that are outside of your site's direct control? That would be nice.
    yeah, if page speed begins to affect the SERPs significantly the widgets will be some of the first things to go. sometimes they are quick, but you never know when they will bog down and hold up your load for several seconds. this could get interesting

Quote Originally Posted by superCool
    yeah, if page speed begins to affect the SERPs significantly the widgets will be some of the first things to go. sometimes they are quick, but you never know when they will bog down and hold up your load for several seconds. this could get interesting
    Yup, I have been ditching some widgets since last night.

My site does load slower now right since a month ago and am trying to figure whether it's the host or my plugins.

Quote Originally Posted by kse
    So how do I Enable gzip compression???
    I've been doing some learning since starting this thread. The answer for me to this question was mod_deflate for Apache2+ I had my vps support enable it and have learned how to configure it. Really nice but it's not for images really.

I'm not worried about Google. I have always wanted to make my pages load as fast as possible. That's just because as an internet user I want speed so I try to give it to my users.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread