Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    A Contest For My 2002nd Post
    Well, a week or so ago, I saw I was getting close to 2000 posts and decided to make my 2000th post a momentous one. Well, I blew past it today without noticing. LOL.

So, in honor of my 2002 (a palindrome!) post and being this is the season of giving, I would like to do some good. I would like to make a charitable donation of $200.00 to one ABWer's favorite charity. (Why $200? Because I wanted to signify 2000 posts, $20 is not enough, and $2000 is a little outside my budget.) If you would like to participate, please share about your favorite charity and how it came to be your favorite. If you prefer to PM your entry to me, that's fine. On December 20th, I will pick a winner (or winners) and announce it here, so please get all entries in by midnight December 19th.

I reserve the right to split the prize among more than one winner and/or up the prize amount.

And, if by reading this thread, some of you decide to donate to another ABWer's favorite charity, well, that's just fine by me!
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Awesome.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Hi, I'm Michael Coley and my favorite restaurant is...

Oh, wait! That's not what you were asking!

Congrats on 2002 quality posts! I think it's great that so many people are passing milestones without even realizing it!
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Split it between Missy and Michael Coley!
    Dyan Carlson
    ["My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness."- The Dalai Lama

ABW Ambassador AffiliateSummitMissy's Avatar
    Wow, that's incredibly kind of you! There are so many great causes to support that it will likely be very challenging to select just one.

I'll have to toss my favorite charity in the ring, which is the National Breast Cancer Foundation. The longer I work closely with them, the more I see all the good they do.

Congrats on all those posts!
    Shine on,

Missy Ward

Co-founder of Affiliate Summit, FeedFront Magazine , GeekCast.fm & itsaWAHMthing.com
    Co-Publisher of Revenews.com and Revenews.org
    Founder of AffiliateMarketersGiveBack.com Personal Blog: MissyWard.com

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I'd like to suggest The Children's Tumor Foundation http://www.ctf.org/ in honor of ABW member Melanie Seery. CTF is very near and dear to her heart and of course Mellie is very near and dear to our hearts for all her hard work on the affiliate tax nexus issue.

meadowmufn you are doing a really lovely thing no matter which organization you choose to support.

What a generous offer and wonderful thing to do, meadowmufn - and especially so at this time of year.

While I, too, am fond of restaurants (and most likely the Michael Coley kind) I also have a favored charity. We have three close friends who have experienced the trauma of breast cancer. One recovered from her ordeal nearly four years ago; one has just finished surgery, chemo and radiation and has a great prognosis; and one has just finished chemo but still faces surgery and radiation.

Our charity dollars go toward breast cancer research and I have continually supported Missy in her activities on behalf of the National Breast Cancer Foundation. So, that, too, is where my recommendation must be.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

http and a telephoto
    Personally have helped my kids and family:

Make a Wish
    Muscular Dystrophy Association
    United Cerebral Palsy Association (they help kids and adults with all disabilities, not just those with CP)

Breast cancer research helps everyone, but I also am looking for an organization to donate to that does lung cancer research. Lost my sister, 2 aunts, an uncle, and grandfather to lung cancer. All in less than a year from diagnosis.

I can't say no to this. There's a few that I would love to see get this money:

ASPCA - I'm an animal lover, and they can't speak for themselves. Well, not in any way we seem to understand.

Muscular Dystrophy Association - My grandmother, uncle, and father are all dealing with this debilitating disease, and although a cure seems to be getting closer, they still need more help

National Brain Tumor Foundation - At age 29, my girlfriend was diagnosed with a stage 2 astrocytoma, a cancerous brain tumor. Since then, we have met many others who have had to deal with this situation. There are still no particular known causes, and much research to be done.

I'm Too Young For This - This is a non-profit group which addresses the needs of young adults (20-40) diagnosed with cancer. While mortality rates have improved in both children and the elderly, this age group continues to suffer from a high mortality rate among those diagnosed with cancer. In addition, they face a unique set of challenges for their age group, including fertility issues, job/insurance issues, and long-term side effects of current treatments.

I think a donation to some form of cancer research is a given. My husband's family has been hit particularly hard by it this year. Within months of each other, both of my husband's uncles were diagnosed with cancer and one is terminal.

While we're at it, I'd like to share a few of my favorite charities that we donate to on a regular basis.

In no particular order:

- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation/American Diabetes Foundation. My 3 year old niece was diagnosed as a Type I diabetic this year. It's been a rough road for my sister's family, but my niece is a little trooper. I'd like to see this disease cured in her lifetime. In addition, it runs in mine and my husband's families. My father is diabetic, as was his father. My husband is diabetic, as is his grandmother.

- ASPCA/King County Animal Shelter. Helping the less fortunate includes those of the four-legged and furry variety as well. Our sweet little former shelter dog has been a ray of sunshine in our lives and although we'd love to take in all the sweet animals currently living in shelters, we know we don't have the space, time, or resources to do so. So, we donate to help care for these animals until someone comes along to bring them to their "forever home". It's the least we can do to repay the unconditional love and pure joy our pup has brought us.

- Seattle's Union Gospel Mission/Salvation Army/Red Cross. They feed, they clothe, they shelter, they provide disaster relief, they help lift people up.

- Make A Wish Foundation/St. Jude's Childrens Research Hospital. They both help children with life threatening or terminal illnesses.

- American Cancer Society. For reasons already stated.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.

No, I haven't made over 100 posts since yesterday. Michael made the Daily Chuckle posts count towards post count. Well, darn, I should've celebrated my 2000th post months ago. LOL.

Just trying to bump the donation up to $210!
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador AffiliateSummitMissy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Now that made me chuckle
    Shine on,

Missy Ward

Co-founder of Affiliate Summit, FeedFront Magazine , GeekCast.fm & itsaWAHMthing.com
    Co-Publisher of Revenews.com and Revenews.org
    Founder of AffiliateMarketersGiveBack.com Personal Blog: MissyWard.com

You've got it! The extra $10 will go to Seattle's Union Gospel Mission and will feed 10 hungry people this Christmas.

If I suddenly jump ahead of Haiko and Trust in post count, I'll know something's REALLY up.

Affiliate marketers have hearts of gold.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Affiliate marketers have hearts of gold.
    If I had a heart of gold, I'd sell it and give a portion of the profits to charity.

Seriously though, I believe that what goes around comes around. Put nastiness out in the world and it'll come back to you. Put goodness out into the world and it'll come back to you. I very much prefer goodness.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by meadowmufn

I believe that what goes around comes around. Put nastiness out in the world and it'll come back to you. Put goodness out into the world and it'll come back to you. I very much prefer goodness.
    Absolutely!

Very cool thread and generous offer, MM!

I don't support a specific charity - Have given to all manner over the years and feel many are using donations to line their C level pockets so I try to donate directly to those in need instead of any org.

I am a total sucker for animal protection agencies and shelters, however, because they are always overrun and in need of so much help and usually don't have a team of corporate buffoons making a big living off the good will of others. No one in particular.

Thanks for being a great inspiration MM! Your generosity and goodwill is bigger than words can try to describe. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Thanks for being a great inspiration MM! Your generosity and goodwill is bigger than words can try to describe. :-)
    Awww, shucks.

Remember, only eight more days to post your favorite charity and why it's your favorite.

Awesome. This thread is just what we need.

Service to mankind is service to god - Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa.
    "What goes around, comes around" -Justin Timberlake

The organization that is closest to my heart likes to explain that they are not a "charity" in the sense that they provide a hand up, not a hand out. Habitat for Humanity has a mission to eliminate substandard housing from the earth.

They work here in the US and also internationally. In every case, volunteer labor and donations for materials lowers the cost of building or rehabbing to make housing affordable. The intended homeowner must contribute hundreds of hours of labor on their own home and the homes of others and then makes a monthly mortgage payment for the standard 20-30 years, based on the actual cost with no interest.

When Dave passed away, I received memorials for Habitat here in Faulkner County, as well as his favorite: The Humane Society of Winnebago County and also the American Lung Association. The March of Dimes has also been huge in my life and I think St Jude's does good with their research for children.

MeadowMuffin, I think this is an awesome example and a generous gift to the community. If nothing else, we all had to stop and think for a moment about what we hold dear and what we then do about it. I've watched affiliate marketers give more than any other group I've ever been a part of and that's heart-warming.

Bump. Tonight's the night I make my decision. There's still time to post your favorite charity!

Ok, I have made my donations. Where possible, I had email cards sent in honor of those who suggested the charity. Thank you to all who made suggestions.

And here are the donations I made:

Missy - A donation of $40 has been made to the National Breast Cancer Foundation in your honor and in honor of all the great ABW members who have supported breast cancer research over the years. I think this was the hubby's favorite donation this year because he's a big supporter of saving tatas.

Rhea - A donation of $40 has been made to the Children's Tumor Foundation in honor of Mellie. Ironically, at this point in my donating tonight, Visa decided to put a hold on my credit card and I had to call to confirm my "purchases" to get it lifted. I hardly have a balance on this card, too. I don't think I've ever heard of someone stealing credit cards to make charitable donations, but I'd prefer that over them buying stuff for themselves. LOL!

Loxly - A donation of $40 has been made to the Make A Wish Foundation in your honor. The hubby and I really appreciate the work they do for sick children. This is another charity that we give to regularly.

Brett and all ABW animal lovers - A donation of $40 has been made to the ASPCA in your honor. We are regular donors to this organization and appreciate the work they do for abused, neglected, and abandoned animals.

Judi - A donation of $40 has been made in your honor to the American Lung Association. This was an easy choice for me, as I know many family and friends who suffer from lung diseases such as chronic asthma.

Michael - A donation of $10 has been made in your honor to the Union Gospel Mission of Seattle to provide 10 meals to the homeless on Christmas.

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions. Have a very Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. May you all be blessed in the coming year and may all your generosity be returned to you ten fold.

What a great selection of charities! Your generosity should be a model for all of us.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

I'm thinking maybe this'll become an annual tradition. It was fun.

http and a telephoto
    I think it is a great annual tradition to have. Thank you for *all* of your donations. Every dollar counts and the good will goes even further.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast