Curious about how affiliates select which offers to promote and how to promote them?
    Hi folks,

Being a newbie, to the space, I'm particularly curious about the following questions... please feel free to answer one or more of them, or to just point me to where I can get these questions answered myself. I'm a quick learner!

1) Why do you run affiliate / CPA offers on your website?
    2) How did you decide to run particular networks?
    3) How did you decide to run particular offers? Would any software optimization help here?
    4) How do you promote your offers? Websites? Email? Facebook Ads? Which do you do the most of?
    5) Describe your typical process for managing networks and offers
    6) What is good about this?
    7) What is bad or difficult or tiresome about this?
    8) If you could change ONE thing about the affiliate / CPA space, what would it be?
    9) Say you had something that displayed optimized offers within the empty space of your website, would this be useful?

1) Why do you run affiliate / CPA offers on your website?

To make money.

2) How did you decide to run particular networks?

I work with most of the major networks, because that's where the merchants are. I prefer ShareASale and a few of the others because of the high ethics.

3) How did you decide to run particular offers? Would any software optimization help here?

I run offers that appeal to the visitors on my sites. With affiliate marketing, the offers usually have to be highly targeted to be successful. Could a piece of software do what I do? I doubt it.

4) How do you promote your offers? Websites? email? Facebook Ads? Which do you do the most of?

On my web sites.

What do you mean?

8) If you could change ONE thing about the affiliate / CPA space, what would it be?

I would wave a magic wand and every network, merchant and affiliate would be as ethical as ShareASale.com. And with the second wave, I would have whirled peas.

9) Say you had something that displayed optimized offers within the empty space of your website, would this be useful?

Not at all. If I have empty space, it's on purpose. I don't want anything there.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey

On my web sites.

What do you mean?
    I'm really interested in how you know which network to display, which offer to use, and which creative you actually use? It would seem like you do a *very* good job on your own doing manual optimization, but I would ask you, "How do you know you're making all you can?" If you had some sort of optimizer that would optimize across networks / merchants / offers... and would learn over time the best offers to promote and iterate for you... would that not be useful?

It just seems like there are millions of products, thousands of merchants, and hundreds of networks... how do you make sense of it all?

ABW Ambassador
    You would know your own sites better than any optimizer and what works and what doesn't by testing. And if I were to use such a thing it would pay me per click not per sale because affiliates can do that on their own and probably be more targetted.

I know this is all about the white space thing you're doing but can you sell me on CPA vs. per click, what Chitika does - http://chitika.com/whitespacead_overview.php

Millions of products are fine, but on a page about business checks, for instance, the products that are going to sell are going to be business checks. Golf clubs, power tools, books, and T-shirts just aren't going to cut it.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    You would know your own sites better than any optimizer and what works and what doesn't by testing. And if I were to use such a thing it would pay me per click not per sale because affiliates can do that on their own and probably be more targetted.

I know this is all about the white space thing you're doing but can you sell me on CPA vs. per click, what Chitika does - http://chitika.com/whitespacead_overview.php
    What we have today isn't what we always have... I'm just asking among the countless number of merchants and offers, let alone creatives that are already targeted for your site visitors, how do you know you're making as much money as you possibly could? It seems like everyone wants to feel like they're doing a great job, which I understand, but in some cases (certainly not all) software can optimize this.

And unsure on your request... are you asking for a way to do what Chitika does with CPA offers?

ABW Ambassador
    I'm saying for the white space model, why would CPA be better than per click? It's kind of like why people use Adsense, because it's per click and if CPA worked better in those spots, they would be using CPA instead of Adsense there. And doing it yourself, I do think it would be more targetted and you keep 100% of the commission. As far as targetting/optimizer, from what I've seen Adsense has done the best job but other companies who have tried, even big ones like Amazon, just not that good.

And I know you haven't launched yet (not sure why you bought an ad until you did) but targetting like this - http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...27&postcount=5

isn't going to cut it. You replied in that thread about not launching yet and about your targetting algos and such. I think people would want to see some of that live, first, to see how good it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    I'm saying for the white space model, why would CPA be better than per click? It's kind of like why people use Adsense, because it's per click and if CPA worked better in those spots, they would be using CPA instead of Adsense there. And doing it yourself, I do think it would be more targetted and you keep 100% of the commission. As far as targetting/optimizer, from what I've seen Adsense has done the best job but other companies who have tried, even big ones like Amazon, just not that good.
    1) Agree with you on the PPC issue, if we could we would,
    2) When you're mentioning using AdSense over CPA, I was thinking this board didn't mess with adsense and did CPA directly because they could make more money.
    3) You mention adsense for targeting/optimizer... i was under the impression that's PPC but not CPA at all.
    4) I guess I'm really curious what you do once you ahve a website and get traffic to it... do you sign up for different affiliate programs and promote various creatives on the landing site ?

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by emptyspaceads
    1) Agree with you on the PPC issue, if we could we would,
    2) When you're mentioning using AdSense over CPA, I was thinking this board didn't mess with adsense and did CPA directly because they could make more money.
    3) You mention adsense for targeting/optimizer... i was under the impression that's PPC but not CPA at all.
    4) I guess I'm really curious what you do once you ahve a website and get traffic to it... do you sign up for different affiliate programs and promote various creatives on the landing site ?
    2. There's a lot of people that do Adsense here. It's testing and what pays the most basically. I mainly do CPA type stuff but I have sites or spots that just do better with Adsense.

3. Right, Adsense pays out per click.

4. People sometimes have sites first and traffic and then look for advertisers to match. Some make sites around merchants, topics etc. the other way around. There's endless ways people do this.

It seems like roughly, the industry does the following:

1) Creates landing page for specific products / offers. They either drive traffic to the landing page through PPC / email marketing / FB Ads... and then they try to convert that traffic. Then they optimize manually by changing landing page.

2) Have a particular niche site such as airline travel, product review site etc... in which case they:

a) try to promote particular affiliate or cpa products they manually select and manually optimize for
    b) some use adsense here... depending on the niche.

====
    Am I missing the general picture of the space?
    What % of people are in 2a?

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread