I hate those google adsense charity ads. What if I don't like the charity? What if I don't want that on my site? What if I'm greedy and don't want my traffic leaking? They could at least make them non-clickable or give me the option to show them or not.

You have the option to specify an alternative banner to display.

You can bypass the PSAs by having Google serve up your own page.

Settings tab, third or fourth option down. It's called Alternate URL ad serve or something like that, but it's definitely there.

We use it. Changed over right after we saw a PSA that we don't agree with. Like the concept, but you have no control over the PSA like you do over the ad serve.

CodeJockey.

Oh okay thanks I'll check into it.

http and a telephoto
    Apparently a lot of people have expressed concerns about this, not only can you specify and alternate ad (read the directions for creating one very carefully, I didn't get it at first), but now you can also just specify that the space be filled with a color of your choice, so it matches your background if you want to get rid of the ads without creating an altad.

I found that once I added an alternate ad I had more targetted ads being served, but when my altad shows, I get lots of hits on it, so it is worth the effort.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Isn't the altad the same regadless of where it's seen though. I have a 120 x 600 skyscraper format on different sites with different themes, differentiated into channels. If I specified an altad, then the same turns up everywhere doesn't it? What do people use as altads in these circumstances? Or am I missing something?

Yes, you're correct. One choice as an alternative.

Not a huge selection, but it's something other than the PSA.

CodeJockey.

ABW Ambassador
    The alt ad will be the same for all your sites if you use the same code on all. If you create a separate ad for each, you should be able to specify a different alt file to display. I started doing this with some of my pages as I began changing code to use the "Channel" option.

I've been using the 120x600 format so I've been able to use the space to display 3 separate links, one to my book review site & 2 affiliate ads. Since you create an html file, you can do pretty much anything you might do in a table cell on your main page. I could create a series of rotating ads using ASP & the database, but seems like overkill.

Wayne

http and a telephoto
    You can customise your code for each site or page you have adsense on, you can specify a different altad or channel or colors or whatever you want. Then cut and paste that code on that page, then change it for the next one.
    Deborah Carney

http and a telephoto
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Yes, you're correct. One choice as an alternative.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is incorrect, it is one choice per code you generate, you can generate as many different code sets as you need for different pages, different ad sizes... You can make the alt ad a link to an internal banner rotation, the options are really endless.
    Deborah Carney

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread