Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    I found a search type site today. rodar.com

You input your search term and it coughs up sites.

The kicker is, certain words in the the description of the sites are clickable and it appears that the owner of the serach site is putting their affilate links in OUR site descriptions, etc.

I used free coupon codes as a search term, knowing that Connies site ranks pretty high in google and this appears to be google based search.

Sure enough there she was, and words in her site description are highlighted, but I don't think this is her linkshare ID.

Linkshare ID in the link is: 5L2zZ0Lq3Zs

You can check it out here:
    rodar.com/web.php?search=free+coupon+codes

So, are they scamming on other peoples hard work or what?
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

If you notice - run your cursor over the coupns listed for each site - they are all the same linkshare ID.

Might want to copy this over to the Linkshare forum so they can check it out too.
    Ebudae

I've tried this with Opera (used the free coupon codes example) and don't see any clickable links at all in the description.

hoo boy -- that LS code shows the same for the word coupon in all the other results.

since they seem involved with google.com it would probably be helpful to point this out to google.com

Maybe a bit on the shady side, but I don't see that there is anything worth getting hostile over.

The site actually allows you to click on the site heading and you'll go to the site.

It does, however, do keyword stuffing and keyword substitution and inserts a link with their affiliate code in it, but this seems to be confined to words like 'coupons' and there are Adsense results on the page. If you want a laugh, read their TOS.

Seems to me to be a High School Programming Project. C-. C at best for Slightly Original Thinking.

CodeJockey.

ABW Ambassador
    I don't see what the big deal is. They shouldn't be allowed to put affiliate links on their own site?

ABW Ambassador
    what they are doing is taking our names and making money falsly advertising!

if my site is named

loopy loos baby planet
    you would expect the full link to go to that site, but what this site is doing, is taking keywords and linking to appropriate stores, so the above site will have just the word baby linking direct to an affiliate link, but loopy loos and planet will link direct to my site!

therefore falsly taking the visitor to a completely different site!

which is also a false click!!! so all affiliate managers should in all decency terminate them asap!
    if someone clicks on my site name, they should come to my website not visit an affiliate link!

I wouldn't precisely say that they're falsely taking the visitor somewhere. The link to the source site is still there, and when you click on it, it'll take you there.

What they *are* doing is substituting hyperlinks for key words in the description, and wrapping all of this stuff with piles of their own links. I think that it's extremely borderline, but it's unique in it's own way, and I don't see too many merchants dropping them.

CodeJockey.

There are lots of sites out there doing this. I used to contact them all and tell them to stop, but it didn't do any good.
    There are so many sites out there that are borderline shady..

What is a person to do?

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I wouldn't precisely say that they're falsely taking the visitor somewhere. The link to the source site is still there, and when you click on it, it'll take you there.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What Tamalyn was saying is that only part of the link is to the source site. If the source site's name has the keyword in it, then that part of the name is an affiliate link.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> the keyword in it, then that part of the name is an affiliate link. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oddly enough, I saw exactly what you were mentioning, and then it seemed to disappear, and I couldn't recreate it.

Still ranks as borderline in my book.

CodeJockey.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CodeJockey:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> the keyword in it, then that part of the name is an affiliate link. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oddly enough, I saw exactly what you were mentioning, and then it seemed to disappear, and I couldn't recreate it.

Still ranks as borderline in my book.

CodeJockey. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So 'sorta stealing' 'round-a-bout' stealing are ok then?

Not in my book. A thief is a thief. I have no tolerance for a thief.
    ~Michelle

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>So 'sorta stealing' 'round-a-bout' stealing are ok then? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't say this. I said it was borderline a couple of times. I also said I couldn't recreate the link overwrite.

If you can see the link overwrites, then you should definitely complain about it.

CodeJockey.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CodeJockey:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>So 'sorta stealing' 'round-a-bout' stealing are ok then? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't say this. I said it was borderline a couple of times. I also said I couldn't recreate the link overwrite.

If you can see the link overwrites, then you should definitely complain about it.

CodeJockey. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please go read the thread in CJ forum. This is huge. This guy has about 70 sites and is pulling the same thing one at least some of them.

He must have found out we were on to him cause he stopped doing it on the one site.
    ~Michelle

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> He must have found out we were on to him <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's why there are private forums, also.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Please go read the thread in CJ forum. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

O.k... I wasn't aware of this.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> He must have found out we were on to him <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It would be a simple programming change to execute... just comment out a couple of lines of code.

For a thread that has only been active less than 30 hours, it's odd that all of a sudden the substitution doesn't occur any more. You'd think that whomever owns the site frequents this board.

CodeJockey.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread