How many clickthroughs?
    Hi all,

I have a merchant that I have sent 1079 click-throughs to since October, and have not had one sale with them. The clicks come from a very niche site, so it surprises me that there hasn't even been one sale. Maybe it is my site that just doesn't convert, it could well be, as it is new and has very little content. Obviously people are interested in this merchant, though. I get about 10-15 click throughs a day to this merchant from this little niche website.

Do you all have merchants that take forever to convert? And where do I see in SAS what their avg. conversion rate actually is?

There are a lot of factors that can affect conversion rate. Have you clicked through to see what your visitors are seeing? Is the checkout requesting a coupon code that you don't offer? Is the site leaky? Is it impossible to navigate their cart? Do they require creating an account to place an order? There are other factors that contribute, but these are some common ones.

To see the merchant's info in the SAS interface you can go to your Activity Summary and click on the name of the merchant.

There are really THREE factors in conversion: how streamlined the merchant web site is, how targeted your site/page is to the merchant's site/product, and how targeted your traffic is to your page. You have to look at all three to find out why it's not converting.

The factor that many people don't consider is the quality of the traffic to your own page. Is it really people and not just bots? Is it geographically appropriate traffic (i.e. traffic from the US if that's the merchant's primary market)? Are the visitors at the right point in the buying cycle, or are they kicking wheels?

Depending on how highly targeted the traffic to your page is, with the other two factors remaining constant, the conversion ratio you see could vary by a couple orders of magnitude (i.e. 100X!).
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Put yourself in the visitors shoes and find out what they are seeing once they click through to the merchant site. If all looks well (no leaks), place an item in your shopping cart and start going through the checkout process. Is there anything that stops you? Is the shipping cost too high?

Finally, make a test purchase by buying a small item to make sure that the tracking is not affected. If your sale tracked and you received credit, and everything seems fine on the merchants end, then it's time to re-evaluate your site.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanadili
    Put yourself in the visitors shoes and find out what they are seeing once they click through to the merchant site. If all looks well (no leaks), place an item in your shopping cart and start going through the checkout process. Is there anything that stops you? Is the shipping cost too high?

Finally, make a test purchase by buying a small item to make sure that the tracking is not affected. If your sale tracked and you received credit, and everything seems fine on the merchants end, then it's time to re-evaluate your site.
    +1

what kind of product/niche is it?

have you tried switching to another destination to see if the traffic works elsewhere?
    [URL]http://Essociate.com[/URL]

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    A good indicator of how well your traffic converts is switching merchants.

I have seen sales come in within hours after switching to a different merchant with the same or similar products after sending thousands of visitors to another merchant.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

There are some good ideas posted here for you to consider - offered by some very experienced people. Have you tried, as Essociate and Rexanne suggest, switching out the merchant for a bit. A little A-B testing may give you some answers.

In the SAS interface you can see performance numbers for merchants, such as EPC, average commission and average order value. You can also see the date and time of the last converted sale. Have you found those numbers? Does the EPC compare with other merchants in the same niche?
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    A good indicator of how well your traffic converts is switching merchants.

I have seen sales come in within hours after switching to a different merchant with the same or similar products after sending thousands of visitors to another merchant.
    The only problem with that, is that sometimes you can't find another merchant with the same or similar products, so you either get stuck sending free traffic to that merchant to avoid 404's, or just dump that merchant and deal with the 404's...

One example, a few years ago I got fed up with a merchant reversing too many sales because of duplicate sales, but the problem was that those duplicate sales may have been made by some parasites on their second network account, so I decided to dump that merchant... And since I was not able to find another bonsai merchant program anywhere else, I decided to delete that category from my site... I still get a few hits from the SE's looking for those pages after all these years, but I don't care, because I don't work for free.

Thank you for all the advice, figuring out this site and it's selling dynamic are the next point on my to-do list. I will get back to everyone this week with an update and/or questions that might pop up!

Thanks for everyone's input, there is a ton of great advice here that I can't wait to start implementing!

Quote Originally Posted by Lanadili

Great advice, I try to walk through this process every time I add a new merchant...

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread