Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thumbs up New Google Phone - Nexus One
    Google Inc's employees are testing a new mobile device that runs on the company's Android operating system, as the search giant continues its push into the wireless market and toward more direct competition with Apple Inc's iPhone.

In a blog post Saturday, Google said the new device combines hardware built by an unnamed partner with its Android software. The free software is crucial in Google's efforts to make its search engine and other services as accessible on cell phones as they already are on personal computers.

Google handed the device out to employees across the globe so they could 'experiment with new mobile features and capabilities,' and give quick feedback on the new technology, said Mario Queiroz, vice president of product management, said on the company's blog.

The Wall Street Journal, citing unnamed sources, reported Sunday that Google plans to sell the phone directly to consumers, instead of through a wireless carrier. Such a move would mean Google would go head-to-head with Apple's iPhone and Research in Motion's Blackberry, as well as current makers of Android phones.

Mountain View, California-based Google launched its first Android phone in September 2008, the G1 sold by T-Mobile USA. Verizon Wireless last month released the Droid, the first smart phone to run Android 2.0, and expects to launch another Android phone this year.

Check out this YouTube video: Google Nexus One Phone

My cell phone uses the android OS, and I really like it. It will be interesting to see how Google manages to combine their Google Voice service with the Nexus One. With Google Voice I was able to choose (rather than be assigned) a phone number in my area. If we could get a phone that does VoiP to reduce the costs of cell phones, I think it would be pretty competitive, even if it was sponsored by ads.

I think this phone is a step in the right direction, I'm just interested to see how they can keep the cost affordable.

I have been told that cell phone companies currently lose money on the sale of the phone but make up for it by wrapping you in to a 2 year contract...

I'm just in the process of getting myself a Motorola MILESTONE, the European version of the DROID... expensive though!
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

the rumors here in the bay area, are to wait until the next version of android comes out - it is going to be awesome. the current android operating system is ok, but the next generation is supposed to be a giant leap fwd. i can see that happening since my android os gets a bit bogged down and starts clobbering itself from time to time. i make sure to reboot the droid phone regularly to avoid some of the problems that build up.
    [URL]http://Essociate.com[/URL]

Might be a little soon to know, but is there a time line on when the next gen of Droid phone will come out?

I am using an iPhone right now and I love the phone but AT&T's service is terrible and I'd like to switch over to Verizon....

Quote Originally Posted by twicks
    Might be a little soon to know, but is there a time line on when the next gen of Droid phone will come out?

I am using an iPhone right now and I love the phone but AT&T's service is terrible and I'd like to switch over to Verizon....
    I totally agree with you on the service AT&T provides. Verison or Cigular should create a campaign that pays for the fee charged for cutting a AT&T contract if people want to switch companies....I know that other cellphone companies in other countries have ran this before and it was successful.

My MILESTONE turned up in the post yesterday. Haven't unpacked it yet because I take photos of that and put them on my website.

Android 2.0 looks really good, and it does multitasking unlike the iPhone. The Nexus One is meant to run Android 2.1, but I suspect that this is a developer-only device.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Would love to see picts of the Milestone, that runs on TMobile with the SIM card, right?

I remember my first cell phone, dubbed the "brick" phone because it was about that size. It was great to have when my wife was on call a lot. My, my how far we have come in 20 years. And how exciting all the new technology that brings use globally together in seconds. So much information right at our fingertips!

Thanks for the post. I'm anxious to hear more about their phone and offerings.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

I bought a Droid the first day they came out. I LOVE IT! My favorite thing to do is to COMPETE with my friends who are iPhone junkies. We basically challenge each other to quests...directions, web sites, lyrics, pictures...you name it ...to see who can get the answer the fastest. I HAVE NEVER LOST. The Droid is SOOOOO Fast and I love the FREE navigation system that puts my new Garmin to shame. Plenty of aftermarket apps, full size keyboard, intuitive anticipation of what your next move is. Move over iPhone....your days are limited (that of course until you come out with your new and improved ... )

How is the MP3 player feature on the Droid?

That will be the thing I miss the most about my iPhone is also always having an iPod in my pocket...

I also really like how it integrates with my iPhoto (I'm an Apple guy all around) but these few nice features are tarnished by the terrible service AT&T has....

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn - ShareASale
    Would love to see picts of the Milestone, that runs on TMobile with the SIM card, right?
    Just unpacking it today and taking photos for my review site. You can get it on T-Mobile, but this is a SIM free version.

I hope you don't think this is spam *

Motorola Milestone Review
    or if you prefer a video:
    Motorola Milestone Review (video)

It's probably good enough to do most things that you would use a laptop for, but I was shocked to find that there's no tethering support as standard, so you can't hook it up to a laptop.

The Google Nexus One might be announced at CES in Vegas next week, according to rumours.

* but if you wouldn't mind Digging my article too if you read it!

What are we going to expect from this phone? I hope this meets the standards that the legendary Iphone has and better at that.

Well, it's fast because of the 1 GHz processor, the user interface is pretty good, it should be able to cope with almost all web pages and multimedia you can throw at it. The only bad thing that I've heard so far is that the on-screen keyboard takes some getting used to.

I *nearly* ordered one, but by the time you take import duties and tax into account the thing was just too expensive, besides I already have the Milestone

That's a good news, though I still love palm os which was buried in the dirt of past!

Quote Originally Posted by thinkatsea
    That's a good news, though I still love palm os which was buried in the dirt of past!
    Well, yes... although Palm are still in business and an updated version of the Palm Pre is slated for Verizon later this year.

The one hurdle that they'll need to address is third-party applications. Apple has a huge head start in that area with the iPhone, and I think that's one of the most compelling features of the iPhone.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

The Android Market (for the Nexus One, DROID etc) is pretty good, not as many apps as the iPhone but a lot of them are free.

I've found that there's usually the app I need, and so far I haven't had to pay!

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamoo
    Well, it's fast because of the 1 GHz processor, the user interface is pretty good, it should be able to cope with almost all web pages and multimedia you can throw at it. The only bad thing that I've heard so far is that the on-screen keyboard takes some getting used to.

I *nearly* ordered one, but by the time you take import duties and tax into account the thing was just too expensive, besides I already have the Milestone
    How about the texting features?Do you have any lags or delays?The hand placement, is it comfortable?

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamoo
    The Android Market (for the Nexus One, DROID etc) is pretty good, not as many apps as the iPhone but a lot of them are free.

I've found that there's usually the app I need, and so far I haven't had to pay!

how about the games?are the games as good as the Iphone's?

I don't have time to play games I would say that hardware ergonomics on the iPhone are better.. everything else is very fast, the processor is meant to be as quick as the iPhone 3G S.

Well the way you say it, it's like an Iphone also but faster. I can use it for work and don't have any problems with lags nor delays. Thanks Dynamoo!

There have been some reports of problems though - see here. I think the main one is that you'll be buying a device that is basically not supported by the operator, so if you have any problems then you will need to do some.. uhh.. Googling.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast