Feature request
    I haven't seen a feature request thread here in a while. In fact, all posting seems to have slowed down here. I think that means most of us are at ease with using popshops, and feel no real need to discuss it. Advanced refinements are available for a fee or expert use of the API. Improvements keep coming, yet I always seem to have a little wishlist.

My latest wish is this:

Skip Duplicate titles or Descriptions in autofeed or search.

Often, when using multiple merchants in a shop they will have the same standard title or description for a product and they stand side by side on a shop page. Boring or confusing for visitors and a no-no for SEO.

I know it's more complicated than that though. Some merchants use the same description for multiple items.

So an "except this merchant" list may be necessary.

Or maybe "unless duplicate is within same merchant" or "if duplicate is between 2 or more merchants"

Feel free to pile on with other feature requests. I'm sure the popshops team aren't short on new ideas, but If nothing else, it shows we are still thinking. and now and then someone pops in and says "hey you can get the same thing done already by doing this..."

ABW Ambassador
    Duplicate titles and descriptions has been my major headache when using popshops. I've emailed popshops support and merchants many times in the past trying to get them find a solution. Most of my emails to merchants get to nowhere of cause, and I don't recall when was the last time I sent popshops support examples of specific merchants with tons of duplicates...

Quote Originally Posted by jazzylee77
    Often, when using multiple merchants in a shop they will have the same standard title or description for a product and they stand side by side on a shop page. Boring or confusing for visitors and a no-no for SEO.
    Not only multiple merchants using the same title and description, my main concern is a single merchant using the same titles and descriptions for an ertire list of its products

Quote Originally Posted by jazzylee77
    Skip Duplicate titles or Descriptions in autofeed or search..
    Yes, I would like to see this feature ASAP!

I quite agree. There are quite a few CJ merchants which list duplicate name products differentiated only by the contents of a field we can't see or search (I -think- it's SKU).

The worst are shoe retailers where we'll see one record for each size for each color, yielding dozens of identical product results for a single shoe style.

Little discourages shopper interest as much as a search result page filled with 25-30 identical items. So far I haven't found a way around it except to leave those merchants out of any shop that can be searched or autofed.

I have seen a few CJ merchants change their product feeds to remove this problem, so I know it can be done. (Three cheers to Junonia!) So it is probably not entirely the result of a CJ feed requirement. As a result, their feeds go from tens of thousands of items down to a few hundred, but those few hundred records represent uniquely named items.

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread