Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2009
    Posts
    5
    HobbyTron not tracking affiliate sales?
    Hi,

    I KNOW for a fact that purchases were made from HobbyTron, because I made them. Now comes the CJ runaround. Clicks, Impressions and no sales. Since CJ posting is not real time, I can't prove the clicks and impressions were mine.

    I CAN verify that I bought and no sale posted. CJ simply says my cookies must have been blocked. Hmm, I know. I'll post a dummy transaction that does everything but charge my credit card and test the system. Oops! No way to do that.

    Gee, I have a few hundred clicks and no sales. Are ALL those people operating with blocked cookies? CJ says that up to 500 clicks might have no sales. When I said I'd call them again when I had 501 clicks and no sales, the dude informed me that there was no magic number. "It depends" is the real answer.

    Why do I feel like I'm dealing with the damn government where nobody is responsible for anything, and when anything goes wrong it's automatically my fault?

    CJ just ran me around the mulberry bush. HobbyTron, on the other hand, simply ignored an email to "Ben" ("the only manager that could cure the problem") and a phone call to their customer service ("Ben can't be reached, but I'll give you his email address").

    So, I have no idea where the problem lies (and no way to find out, apparently). Neither CJ nor HobbyTron seems to give a rats patootey whether the affiliate ever gets a commission. I feel pretty secure in saying that if CJ was actually losing money on this "blocked cookies" fairy tale, you bet there would be a way to diagnose the problem in a New York minute.

    Bottom line..... has anybody ever collected a dime from a HobbyTron sale? If no, I'll dump them out of my data feed quickly. I won't sell products owned by a cheating b*stard.

    I feel like I'm spending an awful lot of time and money making sales for people that are screwing me over without even a "thank you".

    Best regards,
    Michael Murray

  2. #2
    ABW Ambassador meadowmufn's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,587
    Quote Originally Posted by lancelotfl
    Bottom line..... has anybody ever collected a dime from a HobbyTron sale? If no, I'll dump them out of my data feed quickly. I won't sell products owned by a cheating b*stard.
    Ironically, I got my first sale from HobbyTron in about 4 years today. Either their tracking sucks, their conversion sucks, or both.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

  3. #3
    ABW Veteran Mr. Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    6,795
    Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by meadowmufn
    Ironically, I got my first sale from HobbyTron in about 4 years today. Either their tracking sucks, their conversion sucks, or both.
    That should teach you to never to miss a post, again!

    Where was you 4 years ago?

  4. #4
    Speechless OTProf's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 4th, 2006
    Location
    Sunny SoCal
    Posts
    832
    Sorry to hear this. I had a number of red and yellow flags after promoting them during the past 2 or 3 Christmas seasons and finally dropped them last year. Like you say, so much of this is hard to explicitly 'prove' but over time you get a sense of which merchants seem to be operating in an above-board way consistently over time (until the AM changes that is....).

  5. #5
    ABW Ambassador meadowmufn's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,587
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    That should teach you to never to miss a post, again!

    Where was you 4 years ago?
    There are one or two products they have that I haven't been able to find anywhere else. I'm not sure they're worth hanging on to for that, but I've been so busy promoting other programs, I haven't paid much attention to them til I saw that sale post today. It was like "Oh, do I still have links up for them?" LOL.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

  6. #6
    2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    St Clair Shores MI.
    Posts
    17,328
    Quote Originally Posted by lancelotfl
    Hi,

    I KNOW for a fact that purchases were made from HobbyTron, because I made them. Now comes the CJ runaround. Clicks, Impressions and no sales. Since CJ posting is not real time, I can't prove the clicks and impressions were mine.

    I CAN verify that I bought and no sale posted. CJ simply says my cookies must have been blocked. Hmm, I know. I'll post a dummy transaction that does everything but charge my credit card and test the system. Oops! No way to do that.

    Gee, I have a few hundred clicks and no sales. Are ALL those people operating with blocked cookies? CJ says that up to 500 clicks might have no sales. When I said I'd call them again when I had 501 clicks and no sales, the dude informed me that there was no magic number. "It depends" is the real answer.

    Why do I feel like I'm dealing with the damn government where nobody is responsible for anything, and when anything goes wrong it's automatically my fault?

    CJ just ran me around the mulberry bush. HobbyTron, on the other hand, simply ignored an email to "Ben" ("the only manager that could cure the problem") and a phone call to their customer service ("Ben can't be reached, but I'll give you his email address").

    So, I have no idea where the problem lies (and no way to find out, apparently). Neither CJ nor HobbyTron seems to give a rats patootey whether the affiliate ever gets a commission. I feel pretty secure in saying that if CJ was actually losing money on this "blocked cookies" fairy tale, you bet there would be a way to diagnose the problem in a New York minute.

    Bottom line..... has anybody ever collected a dime from a HobbyTron sale? If no, I'll dump them out of my data feed quickly. I won't sell products owned by a cheating b*stard.

    I feel like I'm spending an awful lot of time and money making sales for people that are screwing me over without even a "thank you".

    Best regards,
    Michael Murray
    I see I had 1817 clicks (mostly from GoldenCan product showcase displays) with just one $22.50 sale in last 2 years. I used to make $50-75 per month on hobby and RC items from my malls for first 7 years. That was without showing upto date stock (Thanks to GC) and landing shoppers on specific product pages where they know the price befor the click. Like toys ... they're all run by sheisters who kill cookeis from multiple sales channels. I design and run merchant sites and in 10 year I never had a site that converted less then 1 sale per 100 clicks from any and all traffic sources. Hobbytron landing pages are OK and never should convert less then 1% of shopper page view traffic.

    You want a comparison nightmare showing something smells in the tracking? www.suspenders.com converts 1 sale per every 18 visitors (regardless of traffic source) for the last 7 years. Go ahead an smerk and get snarky. Then find any other product merchant site in the world that can match the conversion ratio. Can the site be improved? Sure! But will anyone be willing to guarantee with big bucks better sales conversion or SERP results...

    Another disappointment is just 2 sales reported for www.get-in2.com/bonsai.htm in all of 2009. Maybe the page should be one small 88x60 banner and a "click here" text link... Anything more and I should charge the merchant a placement fee!!! LOL
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

    "What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

  7. #7
    OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 5th, 2005
    Location
    Park City Utah
    Posts
    16,646
    Has anyone talked to them in the last two years? A friend of mine built that program and their PPC but he has been long gone.

  8. #8
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 4th, 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,477
    I was making a dozen or two sales with them back in 06 and 07 on one of site. Haven't got a single sale from them since 08. I never figure out why my traffic suddently stop converting. I'm not sure why I still have their links up, maybe hoping someday the clicks will convert again?

  9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Tracking Orgnic Affiliate Sales
    By jerdei in forum Midnight Cafe'
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 2nd, 2011, 01:59 PM
  2. Affiliate Tracking Software for Offline Sales
    By TheOwensGroup in forum Affiliate Marketing Tracking Software and Networks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: February 10th, 2010, 07:38 AM
  3. New Affiliate Hobbytron question
    By BlueGooseSales@adelphia.n in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: December 5th, 2006, 03:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •