Affiliate Manager
    CJ Links on Twitter
    I hate to see affiliates lose sales over not making it easy to post affiliate links on Twitter. Don't you affiliates want a simple way to post affiliate links on Twitter? Something like this?
    http://www.linkshare.com/publishers/bentobox/twitter/

I don't think affiliate links belong on Twitter. I like it as a tool for conversation and news, not sales. I was searching for opinions on a product earlier on Twitter and all the results were the same affiliate promo, possibly from this new Linkshare tool.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

http and a telephoto
    It's the direct to merchant argument again, but with a twist. People follow twitter accounts because they trust the person or site posting, but the potential for straight up spam is very high.

As I have recommended repeatedly, affiliates are leaving money on the table by sending social media and ppc traffic direct to merchant. Build your brand and send traffic to your own site landing pages first to get maximum benefit. What if the affiliate program goes offline or out of business? Why not send those backlinks and traffic to yourself so you can swap out merchants that don't convert for those that do.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Affiliate Manager
    Definitely not in a spammy environment but I've seen many examples of good use of referral links in Twitter. In fact, I've made purchases myself off of referred links in Twitter. I can careless if they are affiliate links, the source is the most important.

~B

Affiliate Manager
    Yes, loxly I agree but if you are responding to a Twitter follower - sometimes it's just nice to answer them with who you use rather than write a new post or create something additional.

You are right - this is what I've been suggesting in the meantime.

ABW Ambassador
    Not a bright idea, no wonder its coming from LS.
    With the tool LS is just making it easier for twitter to be flooded with spam.

They shd rather use their pgmrs to fix their interface.

Affiliate Manager
    There's a kabillion blogs that are all spam - yet we make tools for bloggers and we even make affiliate friendly blogs.

ABW Ambassador
    A blog, spam or not, is owned by an affiliate. But twitter is not.
    This tool that LS has developed, can only be used to post direct-to-merchant affiliate links on twitter. Many social sites don't allow that including facebook because of its spammy nature.

Plus, the affiliate agreement says, you can post affiliate links on a site owned by you. Twitter isn't owned by the affiliate.

Affiliate Manager
    I'm actually surprised I'm not reaching the people that always ask me for Twitter help in this thread. The CJ links do pass affiliate ids to us - just not back to CJ. Oh well~ we should stay in 2006. It was a nice year.

ABW Ambassador
    As with most things, I don't think there is a one off answer for this type of thing. Depends on your Twitter audience, depends on the merchant, depends on the situation etc. The biggest merchant on the internet with the biggest affiliate program, Amazon - https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/ is pushing this right on their affiliate home page:

Tweet This
    Use the Share on Twitter feature on Site Stripe to post links from Amazon.

Amazon Associates Social Networking FAQ
    1. Does the Amazon Associates Program permit the use of social networking sites like Twitter to drive traffic to the Amazon site?

Yes - the Associates Program does pay referral fees for qualifying sales generated from social networking sites like Twitter. As with all other means of driving traffic, Associates have to be sure that the method is permitted by the terms of the Associates Operating Agreement and, if applicable, the Product Advertising API License Agreement, as well as the terms and conditions of the specific site on which their links are posted. For example, MySpace does not permit its users to post affiliate marketing links on their profiles.

https://affiliate-program.amazon.com...ssoc_join_menu

Affiliate Manager
    ahh lovely. Thanks trust! I was starting to wonder if I was only one to think that it can work with ethical affiliates. Especially because so many converse in their tweets, its natural that referrals will happen.

Hopefully CJ will consider it for the future..

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    It's the direct to merchant argument again, but with a twist. People follow twitter accounts because they trust the person or site posting, but the potential for straight up spam is very high.

As I have recommended repeatedly, affiliates are leaving money on the table by sending social media and ppc traffic direct to merchant. Build your brand and send traffic to your own site landing pages first to get maximum benefit. What if the affiliate program goes offline or out of business? Why not send those backlinks and traffic to yourself so you can swap out merchants that don't convert for those that do.
    I totally agree. You will find that affiliate links you put on Twitter will be changed to use the affiliate who takes your links.

I have done what Loxly suggests and that is to send Twitts direct to my websites using RSS feeds. My traffic has jumped quite a bit although some is probably from bots etc but it has worked for me to bring in new sales.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Agree with both Snib and Loxly. People I know on twitter get very, very annoyed with anybody tweeting affiliate links and will unfollow those who do. Definitely think is much better to direct them to your web site and even doing that I think has some risks at times depending on how you do it. You can include the link to your web site in your twitter info so if you just generally refer to a product those who trust you will visit your site.

Guess probably am a bit stupid for doin so but when any of my followers request info for somethin specific that I know where it can be found, just as a reason to help them I'll dm them a link to the page on my site where it is but definitely tell them first that I'm an affiliate if they don't know that and that they don't have to feel they have to use that link, that I'm just showing them the product. (Those times I've done it they realized I wasn't tryin to spam em but did it anyway just to be sure) I'd rather possibly lose a sale than have somebody thinking I'm spamming them. Also, think of a good majority of my followers as friends so definitely wouldn't do that to them anyway.

Umm, others probably disagree with me tho and are very good at gettin sales by doin it. lol Just for me, personally I don't think it's ethical or guess just the right thing to do. If somebody visits my site they realize they're there to shop. If I tweet an affiliate link, they may not. Could be wrong but think twitter's purpose was for what Snib said and think it would be a shame if it just turned into everybody tweeting their affiliate links. It wouldn't be trusted by people then I don't think and definitely wouldn't be the same. Guess it all depends on how ya look at twitter tho and your followers, too??

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    As with most things, I don't think there is a one off answer for this type of thing. Depends on your Twitter audience, depends on the merchant, depends on the situation etc.
    Very true! If you build relationships, you may get queries about recommendations to buy. That has happened to me. I tend to agree with Loxly—overall, it's more important to promote your own "brand." Once people get a sense of who you are, what your brand is, I feel it's OK to tweet an affiliate link.

But not all affs are looking to build a brand. Some may be promoting a hot seasonal or novelty item. Everyone doesn't have the same end game.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread