They have approached one of my merchants and want a 300 dollar setup fee and 300 per month and they will list you in their directory and give you a page on their site to advertise.

What do you suggest about catalogs.com.
    Is this legit or are they parasites?

Please advise

ABW Ambassador
    I have just one question.
    Does your merchant offer a catalog?

Actually no.
    I was just looking on their site.
    They have their own affiliate program.
    They do not seem to offer many catalogs.

They seem to be like a mall.
    Thanks for pointing that out.

Mailordering is one of the fastest going business's on the internet.Many companies are now offering mail order catalogs and catalogs.com is without doubt one of the best.You can order just about anything via mailorder.

They seem to be just a directory of shopping links. IF a website happens to have a catalog, then you can get it, but mostly directs you to the website.

People are not going to order a free catalog of omaha steaks when they can just go right to the website.

Not sure what the point is

I have a few problems with the catalogs.com program. The first is the leaks - most of the companies listed don't even offer catalogs. They also don't even list the ones who DO offer them first in every category.

In my opinion, the owners are using affiliates to drive traffic to their "directory" so they can charge advertising to companies to be listed there. Every new company with no catalog they offer brings the chances of an affiliate being PAID on the traffic they are sending down a little less.

At the very least affiliates should have the option of linking directly to a catalog order page rather than sending them to a category. In some categories, there are NO catalogs to order. Putting the companies with actual catalogs on top of the ones who don't offer them would also be less of a slap.

After building a site to market their program, I was so disgusted with the obvious "using" of affiliates that I will not work with them in any other capacity again and will not recommend them to any other affiliate.

Their AM is quick to respond and very helpful, but is not in control of how they run the program - which in my opinion screws over affiliates. If the owners of catalogs.com want to run a directory, they should spend their OWN effort and money getting traffic there and not that of affiliates.

Just my two cents.

Sorry sillygoose, I disagree. Many people still like to thumb thru a paper catalog. Do you not still get junk mail? Sears here in Canada still produces paper catalogs along with many other major companies.The internet is just another resource for them to use.If they just counted on online sales I think they would see a reduction in sales. At any rate thanks my 2cents.

But they seem to list many merchants without catalogs. I think they are just a directory of shops. I do not get the feeling that it is a catalog based site where you can get a catalog sent to your home or mail order catalogs from which you can order from home.

It is a catalog of websites. THey say they offer huge selection of catalogs, but that is not the case.

They should have a link to download the entire catalog in pdf format next to the webiste link.

What do you think?

I agree,but many companies still offer paper catalogs. Did you know that mailordering is one of the oldest forms of retailing? Back in the days of old west the settlers did most of their shopping via mailorder,even for wifes.
    When people were done with these catalogs they were recycled as toilet paper,slippery and not 3 ply. I well remember this at my grandparents farm.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread